What has happened to the Gleadless Valley.

The council need to enforce contracts. Those not looking after property and immediate surroundings and those causing nuisance to others need warnings and then action.

There is not an estate in Sheffield to match the beauty of these surroundings.

it really is that simple, get tennants to toe the line or kick em out

Some years ago I worked for Sheffield Homes.

The criterea then to get a flat was, have you had any rent arrears or anti social behaviour orders. The answer for these young people being given a property was almost certainly "No".

They had probably lived with parents before, so of course they hadn't. Neither did some of them know how to pay rent or look afer a property.

It seems as though David Cameron our leader must have had his attention directed to Sheffield Forum as he has announced that millions will be made available to improve council estates ,perhaps the Valley will once again be the pride of social housing everywhere .

It seems as though David Cameron our leader must have had his attention directed to Sheffield Forum as he has announced that millions will be made available to improve council estates ,perhaps the Valley will once again be the pride of social housing everywhere .

unfortunately The £140 million announced is such a laughably small amount of money that it would not be enough to do anything much. It would buy only about 20 flats in London.

the whole thing is nothing more than a publicity stunt and will be forgotten in a few weeks.

Changes to Lettings Policies, The Right to Buy plus an upsurge in private owner occupation over the years all have had an effect on social housing. Properties in Gleadless Valley are regularly advertised by the council as 'First Come First Served' meaning there is little or no demand for them.

Some estates, often those in 'desirable areas' are still in demand, however they tend to be the areas where few council homes are left for rent, so waiting times can be lengthy.

Council cuts won't help the litter problem, although the main reason is people just throwing their rubbish where they feel like it, and it's well nigh impossible to enforce garden maintenance nowadays. Really sad for those residents who have always looked after their homes and gardens when the general standard goes down the Nick.

Precisely, home ownership means people look after their property.

What checks are done on council tenants? Are they ever checked?

When I was renting, the landlord came every 4 or 6 months to check on the place, and that we were looking after it. I'm pretty sure they don't do any checks now, at least for 2 years.

When I've watched old films that show people moving into their social housing they respected them, and felt them a privilege, now they are just seen as a right.

There's sometimes a myth that only social housing areas can get into a bad state. Sweeping generalisations can disguise other factors.

Be it private owner occupied, privately let, right-to-buy former social housing and long standing tenanted social housing, they all accommodate people of all ages and types. Some have recently moved in, while others may have been there for decades.

New owner occupiers tend to look after their properties better because they have a financial incentive to do so. However, areas of private estates can also get run down. Bought in good times on a heavily marketed new estate, many owners can get trapped in negative equity. Older owners no longer fit enough to do routine maintenance, or lacking the cash to do so - sometimes no longer having the will either. Buy to let house occupiers may have many of the same problems as found in social housing areas.

However, good areas and bad areas of private and social housing are often the result of a small nucleus of good or bad people, with most somewhere in between. If everyone ignores litter and fly tipping it will continue. Worse, it will be accepted. If a small group gets together and makes regular efforts to remove it, they will get discouraged by the enormity of the task, and possibly give up! Or maybe they won't.

That's where the difference between communities may come. The anti-social litter droppers and fly tippers won't give up - immediately. Somehow the message about civic pride needs to get through. Are you proud or ashamed to live in ........? (insert any area you like).

There's no shortage of available labour to clear places up. It's simply a case of will and organisation - and leaving the council out as far as possible. As long as they can take away the litter and debris we collect that's fine. Many areas do it, and once they get the place cleaned up it's so much easier to keep it that way.

Gleadless Valley? I do a lot of travel around South Yorkshire and further afield. I've seen a lot worse places, but a lot that are better.

In my area there are also complaints about badly maintained facilities, petty vandalism, and litter. Residents get very upset about what would possibly be considered nothing elsewhere. Once the bar is raised higher standards become expected. Given the collective will to make it happen Gleadless Valley could be a lot better.

Have to agree, worked up there for a few years after 2000 and it would be fair to say it is becoming or has become a sink estate. There is no waiting list and pretty soon the council may have to pay people to live there. Don,t get me wrong there are some great people live there, real salt of the earth types but unfortunately these people tend to stay put of sight and are outnumbered by the dross who are very visual and vocal.

I wouldn't describe Gleadless valley as a sink estate, there are far worse places to live.

I walk past Spotswood Close most days and I've noticed that a once well kept expanse of grass has been turned into a quagmire by what seems to be a new tenant playing football on the grass with children, the area isn't for ball games plus just a few yards away is a small area that has no restrictions on it. The adult ? I use that term very loosely, even puts football boots on to play, they've really ruined a beautiful area of grass without a thought. These are the type of idiots that infest the estate.

Gleadless Valley covers a large area and like many other areas has pockets with poor reputation, but I know for a fact there are many parts with decent hard working people who look after their properties, gardens etc. Retired people who spent their lives working in Sheffields' now lost industries. Of course there are people on benefits, like in all areas of Sheffield but that doesn't mean to say they are all scroungers. There are other threads on this forum denigrating Gleadless Valley, and if people believe all that is said, its' reputation will be tarnished further.

Not long ago, both on here and in the press, it was said Tesco drivers refused to deliver to Gleadless Valley. At the same time I had a delivery asked the driver, who smiled and said it was just part of one road.

I've been told there's quite a long waiting council list for some parts of Gleadless Valley.

Good and bad everywhere, some people more able to cover things up than others.