Do you want a Derby?

Hi all,

This might be a controversial topic, but I would like to have an open and unbaited discussion on the subject to prove that this can be an area for football fans to discuss in harmony.

Now, I'm a big Blades fan and have been all my life. One of my close friends is a big Owls fan likewise.

I went out with him recently for a few beers and we started talking football as we usually do and the subject title came to mind.

This was because I explained to him that the season when the Owls beat the Blades to promotion, to me as a Blade, was probably one of the best seasons I can remember (though this is hard to admit). Both sides of the city were passionate to prove themselves and each was fuelled of the other to push further. It was an exciting time for Sheffield football.

I asked him, wouldn't you want that again if we got promoted?

His answer was simple, No, I hate derbies.

His reasoning is generally about bragging rights and banter with his workmates, and he can't sleep for days before the game through nerves.

So, I ask you Blades and Owls alike, do you want the derbies back? Do you love them or hate them?

Let's try and avoid the baiting that we've come to expect, and the "my dad is bigger than your dad" kind of banter, just an honest discussion to show we can have one.

Yes, that season was great, tense but great, it's not even about the actual derbies but being in the same division, so the actual winning and losing against other teams actually mattered.

And the league positions of us both

The derbies are ace. Always a great day as long as Wednesday win.

I love derby games up until kick off, then I'm a bag of nerves.

I have no problem with derbies however its just two games amongst many. Any supporter that claims bragging rights is a little childish anyway,they haven't actually done anything except drink Bovril and clap.

It's the final position in the league which wins you stuff, i'd rather loose two derbies and finish higher up the league.

A nice stat i found

Sheffield Utd v Sheffield Wednesday - all the games since 1891.

Games won: 48

Games drawn: 44

Games lost: 48

Edited by willman

Lets be honest, United have won the most derby games, but how many of those games really achieved or meant anything in the grand scheme of things (in my memory, I cant remember any)

Lets be honest, United have won the most derby games, but how many of those games really achieved or meant anything in the grand scheme of things (in my memory, I cant remember any)

It means a lot to the fans, whether the game is actually playing for a cup or whatever is another thing. Derby games mean everything and the losers will be unhappy no matter what they tell you.

Wish they could bring a Charity Cup type game every season , winners keep it till following yr etc

I really miss the derbies and United being in the same league, it just makes things more interesting. I still remember the Tudgay goal in 2008, one of the best games of football I ever visited anywhere.

I love the Sheffield derbies.

Not always the best of games,lots of passion and tension on and off the pitch.

For me there havent been enough over the years,due to our clubs being in different divisions.True place for the games would be in the prem,as they were when I first started watching football way back around the mid 60s.

this is my honest view-

when the owls were near the bottom of league 1 not so very long ago and utd were in a higher league i was hoping the owls would go down again.

how i would change my mind now !!! and be in the same league.

how football can change and will change again.maybe 2/5/10 years but it always does.

its nothing personal as i have loads of owls friends but i want blades to be better always.

anyone who disagrees with me are liars

I'm split on a Derby game. While it's always good to have one...by heck it's nerve wracking. Then the fall out afterwards - whoever wins!