Positive news from a toy retailer

Parent's trying to influence their children though presents happens both ways though - which is what my question was about. Why not let children choose the toys they want regardless of gender?

As a parent i am in no doubt about what my kids want for Christmas believe me! But like most parents we will also try and surprise them with something and this is where I am suggesting the manipulation might come in.

---------- Post added 09-11-2015 at 15:21 ----------

I'm sure a lot of parents buy their boys toy guns and cars, but perhaps he'd much prefer a doll and a pram but is too scared to say as he thinks it's 'wrong' to like those things?

But, yes I agree with you mainly. Why buy your child something they won't enjoy? What's the point in that?

You can look after him on Christmas morning when he gets a doll and pram instead of a Messi shirt and football. Don't leave your fingers near any doorshuts.

I once went out with this woman who was a midwife and I told her that I thought it must be a great job, as I love babies. We never went on a second date, as she reckoned I was gay. I wasn't offended, but amazed by her narrow-mindedness. She was from Barnsley, say n'more

She's not your sister by any chance?

Can you be certain your love for babies was the reason the midwife reckoned you were gay ?

Are you prejudice about people from Barnsley ?

---------- Post added 09-11-2015 at 17:54 ----------

There is a large study showing that children seek to please adults so choose the 'gendered' toys when they think adults are watching them, but as soon as they think they aren't being watched boys happily play with prams, dolls etc and girls with the tool kits and cars. Of course each individual child will have toy preferences but this isn't linked to gender except what we as adult push on to our own kids. Almost impossible not to conform to some stereotypes though.

People like Gamston are hardly helping things are they? Something wrong with being gay Gamston? Because I'd love for you to put it writing on here rather than hiding behind your keyboard.[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added 09-11-2015 at 13:48 ----------

[/color]

sgtkate , if your nephew decided he wanted to wear a dress , would you buy him one and take him to school wearing it ?

I have seen more political correct tripe delivered on this thread via a keyboard than I am ever going to hear in the real non keyboard World .

The wife and I have brought up a daughter and son who have both now left home and we are both happy that neither of them are gay . If either of them had turned out gay they would miss out on the joys of bringing up their own children in the future and living a normal life . I don't think there are many parents around in the real non keyboard World who want their children to grow up to be gay adults even though like any good parent they would support their children's sexuality when they are old enough to make that decision . In my opinion any good parent should toughen up their son if it is required which does not involve buying a pram for dolls . It's part of a parent's duty to bring up a girl as a girl and a boy as a boy and prepare them for the challenges ahead in the real non keyboard World and ignore all the political correct nonsense which is spouted .

There is a large study showing that children seek to please adults so choose the 'gendered' toys when they think adults are watching them, but as soon as they think they aren't being watched boys happily play with prams, dolls etc and girls with the tool kits and cars. Of course each individual child will have toy preferences but this isn't linked to gender except what we as adult push on to our own kids. Almost impossible not to conform to some stereotypes though.

People like Gamston are hardly helping things are they? Something wrong with being gay Gamston? Because I'd love for you to put it writing on here rather than hiding behind your keyboard.

Oh for heavens sakes! Clearly as a parent you should get your kids presents they want. It's hardly rocket science. If I have a boy and he is into dolls and prams and so on then that's what I'll buy him. Equally if he loves cars (which I'd be much happier with as they are sooo much more fun!) that's what he'd get too. However, at a young age I'd have 'neutral' toys.

My nephew at about 4 loved 'doing the ironing' with his mum so they bought him an ironing set. He also loved cooking and helping with housework. He is now 7 and still does like helping out with housework but he also loves scalatrix and minecraft so he gets things like these for his birthday and Christmas. Sounds pretty spot on to me.

I watched a programme a few years ago where they studied kids of crawling age, to see what toys they would be attracted to. Toys laid out and toddlers let loose, guess what? the majority of boys went for the cars and other boys stuff, and the girls for the dolls etc. Instinct? I think so.

You are comparing apples to oranges . I don't have a problem with a grown man pushing a pram containing his own child . However , encouraging

a young boy to push a pram and play with dolls makes it less likely he will grown up to push a pram containing his own child .

now youre just being silly, we arent turned gay its in our genes, being allowed to push a pretend pram doesnt turn you gay, in effect it might even make him a better parent in the long run, knowing whats involved etc

Can you be certain your love for babies was the reason the midwife reckoned you were gay ?

Are you prejudice about people from Barnsley ?

---------- Post added 09-11-2015 at 17:54 ----------

People like Gamston are hardly helping things are they? Something wrong with being gay Gamston? Because I'd love for you to put it writing on here rather than hiding behind your keyboard.[COLOR="Silver"]

[/color]

sgtkate , if your nephew decided he wanted to wear a dress , would you buy him one and take him to school wearing it ?

I have seen more political correct tripe delivered on this thread via a keyboard than I am ever going to hear in the real non keyboard World .

The wife and I have brought up a daughter and son who have both now left home and we are both happy that neither of them are gay . If either of them had turned out gay they would miss out on the joys of bringing up their own children in the future and living a normal life . I don't think there are many parents around in the real non keyboard World who want their children to grow up to be gay adults even though like any good parent they would support their children's sexuality when they are old enough to make that decision . In my opinion any good parent should toughen up their son if it is required which does not involve buying a pram for dolls . It's part of a parent's duty to bring up a girl as a girl and a boy as a boy and prepare them for the challenges ahead in the real non keyboard World and ignore all the political correct nonsense which is spouted .

Lots of gay people can and do live a normal life! Which sometimes includes bringing up children.

I'm not quite sure where 'toughening up children' who don't conform comes into the equation. What's that going to achieve?

To me a good parent supports their children. And I think schools should develop the individual abilities of children, rather than foist something on them. If a boy prefers painting, and a girl prefers blue to pink - well so what? It's not going to make them lesbian or gay - research and experience shows that's already been decided.

My brother grew up with an older sister (me) and a younger sister. We all played together. Sometime with cars and tonka trucks, sometimes with dolls and prams. We all shared each others toys wether they were intended for boys or girls. As long as we were all getting on and playing nicely, my parents didn't mind at all what toys we played with.

I remember my brother once cried when my mum put myself and my sister in matching dresses because he wanted to wear one as well! My brother is now 25 and he is straight. (not that any of our family would have minded if he wasn't) Playing with dolls and prams didn't make him grow up to be any less of a man!

Let children play with whatever makes them happy!

Netherlands Boarding and Rescue Kennels- 'Giving Local Dogs A Chance' http://www.netherlandsdogrescue.co.uk

Mill House Animal Sanctuary- 'For The Neglected We Care' http://www.animalsheltersheffield.co.uk

My brother grew up with an older sister (me) and a younger sister. We all played together. Sometime with cars and tonka trucks, sometimes with dolls and prams. We all shared each others toys wether they were intended for boys or girls. As long as we were all getting on and playing nicely, my parents didn't mind at all what toys we played with.

I remember my brother once cried when my mum put myself and my sister in matching dresses because he wanted to wear one as well! My brother is now 25 and he is straight. (not that any of our family would have minded if he wasn't) Playing with dolls and prams didn't make him grow up to be any less of a man!

Let children play with whatever makes them happy!

Exactly. They're not children long, let them enjoy their childhood.

I watched a programme a few years ago where they studied kids of crawling age, to see what toys they would be attracted to. Toys laid out and toddlers let loose, guess what? the majority of boys went for the cars and other boys stuff, and the girls for the dolls etc. Instinct? I think so.

Even at that early age, the babies may have already been conditioned (whether intentionally or not) by their parents to prefer certain toys, and they may choose to crawl towards the toys which look more similar to those they have at home.

Would the experiment be more accurate if it began before the child had experienced any other influences?

As a young child, I had a mixture of toys, I remember having a play kitchen and a Tiny Tears and toy horses,but I also had a toy garage, a ride on tractor (which I fell off a few times :hihi: ) and various dinosaurs.

Even at that early age, the babies may have already been conditioned (whether intentionally or not) by their parents to prefer certain toys, and they may choose to crawl towards the toys which look more similar to those they have at home.

Would the experiment be more accurate if it began before the child had experienced any other influences?

As a young child, I had a mixture of toys, I remember having a play kitchen and a Tiny Tears and toy horses,but I also had a toy garage, a ride on tractor (which I fell off a few times :hihi: ) and various dinosaurs.

I used to put my sisters Barbie, or Cindy doll on top of eagle eyes action man. I wasn't influenced by seeing ma n pa doing the business, that would have most definitely been behind their locked bedroom door.:P

---------- Post added 10-11-2015 at 22:50 ----------

I'm sure the boffins carrying out the study would've taken this into account.

I can't see a problem with girls playing with mechanical toys , but I can't see anything positive about encouraging boys to act like fairies .

Have you never watched the student Rag Procession:huh::hihi::huh:

---------- Post added 10-11-2015 at 23:08 ----------

Good for her, but if you have a son he would be disbarred from joining the guides.

True. But the guides were formed after the Scouts due to the fact that the Scouts at that time would not accept girls. Hopefully in time the two will merge and become Pathfinders.

Also men cannot join the Womens Institute in the same way as women cannot join exclusively male clubs. Even some Golf clubs do not accept women members. Hopefully in time clubs will focus on interests not gender.