Best areas to buy a house

I'm of an age where my friends are looking to get on the property ladder, with a view to the standard 3-bed terrace with a loft conversion and a small back garden. Where would people say are good areas to buy?

As far as I can tell, the options for pleasant, safe, middle-class (sorry for any perceived snobbery) areas are pretty much limited to the neighbourhoods between 6 o'clock and 10 o'clock on a clock face, from Meersbrook in the south-west to Walkley in the north-west, so basically: Meersbrook, parts of Nether Edge, Sharrow Vale/Hunter's Bar, Greystones, Crookes, Nether Green, Walkley (I don't mention areas like Fulwood, Millhouses, Dore etc. because they don't have this kind of housing stock).

Is this short-sighted? It seems Sheffield is a very split city socially, whereas other cities have lots of pockets of prosperity and deprivation that bunch up against each other.

+1 for Walkley & Lower Walkley down to Langsett Road

Very quiet, next to the tram, buses through, 1-2 miles from city centre, nice and quiet pubs (Blake is one of the best in the city?), good primary school, still affordable prices, mainly families and elders around (last few years young professionals choose this area), big tesco and other supermarkets close and Hillsborough is next to you if you want more.

If you're dead set on a terraced house then I'd go for Greystones, near Endcliffe Park, Banner Cross and Eccy Rd, which really is the place to be in Sheffield. It feels like the beating heart when you're there.

You're right to focus on the third of Sheffield you are doing, because the other two thirds is grim and depressing. Don't feel guilty about it, it's just how Sheffield has evolved.