Is Sheffield the worst planned developed city in UK?

gwhite78

Not for a few years and it won't cover the cost of maintaining the roads.

I've not seen the figures for repair .. where did you get them from? Nevertheless it's still going to change...I just thought I'd put the article there 'cos I assume a lot of people don't know/realise..

Edited by truman

True, but it will only be used for the strategic road network which is only 2% of all roads; essentially motorways and a few major A roads. Everything else will still come out of general taxation.

gosh all that money motorists pay in tax on the fuel whilst cyclists pay nothing

So I'd be a better person if, instead of leaving my car parked up off road, I drove it to work every day?

If I did that I'd be making potholes and adding to traffic congestion. If you think potholes and traffic jams are positive things, I'll happily make a lifestyle change and stop riding my bike to work.

Perhaps I should take up smoking as I dodge tobacco duty too?

Edited by hicksy3
Misread OP- mentioned fuel tax- not VED

Sheffield is alright, not good, not bad. I always find it astonishing how much people complain about the traffic here, wake up and smell the coffee folks, try driving from the M1 through Nottingham around 8AM (like I did the other day), that is pretty bad traffic. Of course that is swamped by trying to get out of Manchester on Hyde Road around 5PM or into Liverpool on the M62 around 8AM.

However, and I do agree entirely with the OP here: There is an awful lot of scope for improvement that isn't being utilised.

No matter how many times it gets pointed out, the willingly blind still refuse to accept the fact that roads get paid for out of general taxation and not out of the now long-gone road tax.

Yes, there's no road tax but there is VED, fuel duty, VAT on fuel and duty, insurance tax, VAT on vehicles, VAT on servicing, VAT on parts. I think we pay more than enough into 'general taxation' to expect a bit more of it to be spent on roads.

...cities in the UK... Chesterfield

The crooked cathedral :D

A couple of days ago a cyclist hurtling down my road...

At least he was on the road. I've nearly been run over several times by cyclists on footpaths. One was a policeman :roll:

Can you give an example of a city you wouldn't think of driving into?

London

I've not seen the figures for repair .. where did you get them from? Nevertheless it's still going to change...I just thought I'd put the article there 'cos I assume a lot of people don't know/realise..

Osbourne said the changes would be revenue neutral. VED raises about 1/3rd of what gets spent on the roads so there'd be a similar shortfall in the future unless Osbourne's going to cut the road budget by 1/3rd.

If stifflersmon's right about it only being spent on motorways and major A roads[1] then cyclists won't be using the roads that the future road tax will be paying for.

[1] Osbourne did make a big thing about it being used to pay for new roads. I assumed that was just to get motorists to accept it and it would be business as usual. If it really going to be earmarked for new roads, then either the spending on roads overall is going to have to increase or the maintenance of non major roads is going to suffer. If it does increase, VED/road tax will make up a smaller proportion of the highways budget than now.