Is Sheffield the worst planned developed city in UK?

Only if they drive a motor vehicle.

If they buy petrol, they pay the same tax on petrol.

Why a motorist would want to force someone of a bike and into a car I've no idea. The less cars on the road, the less congestion holding you up.

If every cyclist swapped to a car, the level of congestion would increase. :huh:

---------- Post added 28-09-2015 at 11:40 ----------

Slightly off topic, but in my opinion cyclists should be obliged to pass a test and hold a licence and third party insurance to be on the highways. A couple of days ago a cyclist hurtling down my road at a speed faster than most car drivers would negotiate it as there are vehicles parked on both sides 24/7 ran down a pedestrian at the junction with the main road. The pedestrian had failed to see him coming due to said parked vehicles. Had a car driver done this they would have been done for careless, if not dangerous, driving.

So a pedestrian walked into traffic, and that's somehow the cyclists fault. :suspect:

As to the rest of your post, how do you suggest that children learn to ride bikes? Did you have a license at the age of five, and insurance, whilst your Dad pushed you down the street?

The fact is that the more bikes on the road, the better off we all are. And raising artificial barriers to cycling doesn't help to achieve the aim of increasing cyclist numbers.

Edited by Cyclone

In most big UK cities you wouldn't even think about driving into the City Centre as it is too difficult.

Sheffield City Centre is planned - it has an inner ring road you follow round until you are close to the car park you want to be then just nip in without having to drive right across the centre.

As a result the City Centre roads aren't having to cater for lots of traffic other than buses and trams - as a result the Centre is much more pleasant for pedestrians accessing the shops, bars, restaurants, offices etc.

Can you give an example of a city you wouldn't think of driving into?

How many other UK cities have the same kind of geography as Sheffield, sat in a "bowl"?

Leeds for a start.

The fact is that the more bikes on the road, the better off we all are. And raising artificial barriers to cycling doesn't help to achieve the aim of increasing cyclist numbers.

Good summary of where our interest lies. I don't ride any more, but remembering this will help me be patient when I cyclist holds me up for 2 seconds.

Only if they drive a motor vehicle.

Very true. I was drawing attention to dangerousedd's foolishness in complaining that cyclists don't pay tax on something they don't buy. What next - complaining non-smokers don't pay tobacco tax, teetotallers don't pay alcohol tax, etc.

No matter how many times it gets pointed out, the willingly blind still refuse to accept the fact that roads get paid for out of general taxation and not out of the now long-gone road tax.

It's going to change though..

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/consumer-news/92131/budget-2015-new-road-repair-fund-and-car-tax-overhaul

Not for a few years and it won't cover the cost of maintaining the roads.

I've not seen the figures for repair .. where did you get them from? Nevertheless it's still going to change...I just thought I'd put the article there 'cos I assume a lot of people don't know/realise..

Edited by truman

True, but it will only be used for the strategic road network which is only 2% of all roads; essentially motorways and a few major A roads. Everything else will still come out of general taxation.

gosh all that money motorists pay in tax on the fuel whilst cyclists pay nothing

So I'd be a better person if, instead of leaving my car parked up off road, I drove it to work every day?

If I did that I'd be making potholes and adding to traffic congestion. If you think potholes and traffic jams are positive things, I'll happily make a lifestyle change and stop riding my bike to work.

Perhaps I should take up smoking as I dodge tobacco duty too?

Edited by hicksy3
Misread OP- mentioned fuel tax- not VED

Sheffield is alright, not good, not bad. I always find it astonishing how much people complain about the traffic here, wake up and smell the coffee folks, try driving from the M1 through Nottingham around 8AM (like I did the other day), that is pretty bad traffic. Of course that is swamped by trying to get out of Manchester on Hyde Road around 5PM or into Liverpool on the M62 around 8AM.

However, and I do agree entirely with the OP here: There is an awful lot of scope for improvement that isn't being utilised.