Is Sheffield the worst planned developed city in UK?

Nothing on the south coast then, Portsmouth or Southhampton?

York, Newcastle, Derby, Liverpool...

The hub for several smaller surrounding towns and villages.

The population & area depends on the population density of the surrounding areas, but anywhere that has fulfils the above criteria and has a population over 500k is a 'proper' city.

St. David's in Wales has a population of 2,000 ..it's also a city...

St. David's in Wales has a population of 2,000 ..it's also a city...
I've clearly made the distinction of what I consider a "proper" city. I'd expect that pedantry from "other" contributors but not you truman :hihi:

St Davids is a historical anomaly.

Nothing on the south coast then, Portsmouth or Southhampton?

York, Newcastle, Derby, Liverpool...

London plus Bristol & Liverpool (which I included) have been used as portals to the sea. You have to draw the line somewhere. I've been to Southampton and Portsmouth, whilst not wanting to dismiss their maritime achievements they aren't major Cities.

Of course if you like, yeah there are 20-30 major Cities in England, but truman asked for my definition of a "proper" city and I gave it.

I'm not really sure what this is all about or where its going. The point is that Sheffield is and has always been considered a proper city. Not a parochial little town which some guy said.

Edited by Jonny5

not much can be done about the road layouts, its not like they can start doing wholesale house and business demolition to widen roads and build new ones.

not much can be done about the road layouts, its not like they can start doing wholesale house and business demolition to widen roads and build new ones.

They could stop inserting no left turn, no right turn, traffic lights every 50 yards, bus lanes (mostly empty), bus gates, closed roads, bollards and speed bumps you can only navigate at 5 mph.

---------- Post added 29-09-2015 at 12:15 ----------

I've clearly made the distinction of what I consider a "proper" city. I'd expect that pedantry from "other" contributors but not you truman :hihi:

St Davids is a historical anomaly.

London plus Bristol & Liverpool (which I included) have been used as portals to the sea. You have to draw the line somewhere. I've been to Southampton and Portsmouth, whilst not wanting to dismiss their maritime achievements they aren't major Cities.

Of course if you like, yeah there are 20-30 major Cities in England, but truman asked for my definition of a "proper" city and I gave it.

I'm not really sure what this is all about or where its going. The point is that Sheffield is and has always been considered a proper city. Not a parochial little town which some guy said.

Fair enough, I guess we can all form our own definitions for things... It could make conversation difficult though.

SF is nothing like that big. That's taking into account either water or Oakland, & San Jose, which I wouldn't recommend that you do :hihi:

I reckon 7. I think that's about right. "Proper" Cities that is. London, Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds, Liverpool, Sheffield, Bristol.

Obviously there are a couple of dozen other cities.

I don't want to get into a 30 post 3 day marathon but those are imo historically and geographically the nations most important cities.

Although every year that goes by Sheffield's inclusion on that list looks a little bit more tenuous :(

Glasgow, Edinburgh, Belfast not even get a look in?

Leeds for a start.

LEEDS!!! that has one of the worst city centres for driving around its one constant ring road with umpteen one way roads etc not a good example

Glasgow, Edinburgh, Belfast not even get a look in?

I'd said England, not UK.

Never known such a small town have so many badly designed road junctions, roundabouts, insane road planning with almost no cycle infrastructure.

If Sheffield was full of grade 1&2 listed buildings I could slightly understand. But this town is almost a blank canvas, it has an abundance of empty space and half empty non listed buildings which make it very easy for planners to improve traffic flow, junctions, roundabouts provide space for pedestrians and segregated cycle paths.

Coventry - the ring road at least - is far worse.

(And it's difficult to think of a city that had more of a "blank canvas" than that one)

Mexico City with a population about 20 times bigger than Sheffield and an economy about 70 times bigger.

Mexico City is in the UK???? When did THAT happen?????? :huh::huh:

I'd said England, not UK.

I must have missed that.

I'd tend to agree with your list as posted then.

---------- Post added 29-09-2015 at 13:30 ----------

LEEDS!!! that has one of the worst city centres for driving around its one constant ring road with umpteen one way roads etc not a good example

I don't actually find it that tricky - you have to use the Loop yes but it makes it better flowing and easier to get to places than a mishmash like Sheffield has.

Coventry - the ring road at least - is far worse.

(And it's difficult to think of a city that had more of a "blank canvas" than that one)

I've drove on Coventry's ring road and didn't find it a problem, it looks intimidating as its raised up high but it does allow traffic to flow.