How did you decide what job you wanted to do/have?

A job is a job at end of day as long as it pays good money x

I left school without any qualifications in 1963 and careered from one job to another after telling the careers advisor that I would never work in a factory.

First job looking after three children which became four after 18 months. Went to night school and learned about window display came back to Sheffield and found work in various fashion shops Labour government brought in Selective employment tax. Disaster so many Shop Workers already on low pay lost their jobs including me. Married divorced went to reading to care for three more children and be a paid housekeeper with my daughter( the only job I could do and keep my child with me) Worked on a voluntary basis running a playgroup for a few years, later re entered Window Display as a free lance part time. Worked for Oxfam running a shop went back into education and learned about using a computer work experience in Rotherham Planning Department updating outline plans from paper onto the computer system.

Went to university got my degree no success with Job applications did a post grad in housing policy and practice. Worked on a school crossing and did the Cencus got a great letter of thanks for that apparantly I got the most completed returns. Did not want to sit behind a desk and collect rents. Went to night school again and did the second year of the RHS cert in horticulture. Got a job in fact several consecutive jobs in Garden centres, then Graves Park and finally seconded to the Botanical gardens before I retired. I can honestly say I have loved every job until I didn't. What did I want to do. I wanted to go to Art school and become an Artist but my school and my parents would not support me even though they said I was good at art. In my own way I have used art in all my working life and my home life. I love being outdoors and planning how to use plants to their best effect in a garden.

My advice is do whatever you have to do to earn what you need to live, do it with a good will and use what you feel are your talents and develop them in any way you can. When I was poorest I used creativity to make clothes for my family: When I had money I used paints to create the art I was denied as a young person. I don't regret anything I have done. Just feel your way to what you are good at at put your heart and soul into what you need to do at any one time.

I ended up doing the job I am doing because there wasn't many jobs available when I left school.The building industry was in meltdown so the job I had gotten qualifications to do never happened for me.I very rarely wake up and think I do not want to go to work but I cannot say I really enjoy the job anymore.I have been quite successful and steadily climbed the ladder at work to get a decent income.I think my problem is that I could do it blindfolded with my hands tied behind my back and I feel my talents are underused and a certain amount of boredom has crept in,but heyho at least I have never been out of work.

I didnt, i just sort of fell into my job, after 18 years on the dole i got a part time caretaker job with the local village hall, then cos i was doing that id applied for a database job with the company i work for now but cos of me and my cv etc the owner created a position for me even tho i didnt get the database job. menial tasks and painting and decorating etc, now 10 years on i got promoted, and seen as the best in the dept at keeping the machinery and process running right, analysing the chemistry etc (even tho i only got a cse c in science at school lol) its just something that ive started doing and taken to

What an absolute disgrace. You should be made to pay 17 and a half years worth of that back.

What an absolute disgrace. You should be made to pay 17 and a half years worth of that back.

What surprises me is how many people have managed to leave school with hardly any qualifications.No doubts they were the ones sat at the back in class and staring out of the window instead of learning something.

(even tho i only got a cse c in science at school lol) its just something that ive started doing and taken to

There is too much emphasis placed on qualifications, many jobs just need a person to do ordinary stuff.

I wanted to be a secretary, so went to college for a 2 year course after leaving school. I did a part time cleaning job in the evenings to get a bit of money to live on. After a year they threw me out, I hated it & didnt make the effort to turn up on time (scott & charlenes romance & wedding in neighbours was more interesting) after that I was a mothers help, I worked for a paraplegic with household chores & then nursing homes. Looking after people seemed to make me feel like I was doing something worthwhile. Ive worked in the community & hospitals, been trained....trained...& trained & for the past 7 years Ive been doing the job I was made for, (without giving you a job title) I now drive for a living which I love & convey vulnerable/ill people of all ages, hopefully making a very scary time a bit more comfortable. ☺

Haha ......:hihi:

Ive enjoyed reading your replies thanks to all hope to read more! :)

I was just wondering how did you know what career you wanted to do?

Yes there is a thread on this but its an old one and its an interesting subject as to I am in the same position as the person who asked it I am in the same boat as he was

:cool:

Depends A) what your interests are I'd say O.P mate or if you are at School - speak to the Careers Office ... narrow it down from there:)

i wanted to be a librarian and studied business administration, as my careers adviser said I should. still in office work now and never realised my dream :cry:

I ALWAYS wanted to be a pilot,but due to not having great eyesight I was told I would struggle,got offered a navigator traineeship,but declined as it felt like 2nd best.I regret turning that down now but i was only young.

My 2nd choice was to follow my dad and his dad driving trains,although theres no formal qualifications needed,the entry tests are really hard,the group bourdon.I passed eventually after 3 attempts but by then i had a decent life in sales,progressed quite well and found the wages as a train driver less tempting.

Im mid 50s now and i would still love the chance to drive trains,or fly, the closest i got was a colleague who owned a plane,i used to take the controls occasionally,loved it.