Chuggers in town today

LINK

So it can be done.

I prefer to give to local charities. I don't want to fund the lifestyle of some overpaid CEO whose wife wants a third foreign holiday this year and he wants a new car because his current one is over 2 years old.

Sod that!

Ok so the CEO does not earn a mega bucks salary because they treat their position as some call to god. However, its not all squeaky clean in the Sally Army.

Links to the much criticised Workfare Scheme, abusing free labour, 27 staff on executive level incomes, very generous "allowances" to those good citizen unpaid directors including motor allowances and furnished accommodation. The accounts report that some of those "allowances" remuneration averages between around £10-16k for the 20 directors with another two directors where its approaching £70k a year. It paid nearly 70 million in salaries alone last year.

The workfare is very interesting, the Guardian failed to mention it in this glowing article about the CEO being so progressive but no such shyness over the workfare scandal in 2013. Neither was the Daily Record.....

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/mar/19/workfare-godliness-christian-charities

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/i-was-told-unpaid-placement-was-for-work-experience-1480978

As this letter shows, the Sally Army taking advantage of the nice mandatory voluntary work placement...

https://johnnyvoid.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/salvation-army-workfare.jpg

http://apps.charitycommission.gov.uk/Accounts/Ends79/0000214779_AC_20140331_E_C.pdf

Oh and whilst their GB leader is such a shining example of CEOs not being fat cats, their US Sally Army counterpart is taking home the equivalent pay over around £112,000 a year.

Nice work if you can get it....

Edited by ECCOnoob

I work in Sheffield centre and walk down the moor most days.

Never had a problem with chuggers. Just smile and say no thanks, and carry on walking....

I work in Sheffield centre and walk down the moor most days.

Never had a problem with chuggers. Just smile and say no thanks, and carry on walking....

Yet plenty of people in this so-called friendly city of ours find this very difficult to do :huh:

You know those people who won't simply tell them to go forth, they're the ones they want. If you stop for these subhumans then you're part of the problem.

Just saying. :)

It Is really insulting to call any person a subhuman. They are mostly young people who are trying to get into a job and this is the first stepping stone.

I agree that deliberately stepping into someone's path is unacceptable but Really! Subhuman? Come on. Widen your vocabulary a little.

Subhuman? Come on. Widen your vocabulary a little.

If not subhuman then Son of Ploppy :D:D:D

Have been down the Moor in Sheffield this afternoon and have been hassled by no less than five different individuals trying to sign me up to donate to Oxfam. They really are a nuisance, not just asking you to donate, but jumping in your way as you are walking and following you. This puts me off returning to the city centre. If I behaved like this to passers by I would be arrested and rightly so! Ok rant over.

Have been down the Moor in Sheffield this afternoon and have been hassled by no less than five different individuals trying to sign me up to donate to Oxfam. They really are a nuisance, not just asking you to donate, but jumping in your way as you are walking and following you. This puts me off returning to the city centre. If I behaved like this to passers by I would be arrested and rightly so! Ok rant over.

And not only that these individuals are from some private company paid £8.00 an hour plus commission.

You know why they are there now. They think this refugee crisis might get a few more people to sign up. When actually some annoying oink hassling me who's on £8.00 per hour will not. I prefer to donate online or in a charity box.

They should take a leaf out of the Royal British Legion or the Salvation army. They are respectful collectors.

If one of them jumped in my way they might accidentally get my steel toecap making contact with their shin. Purely accidentally of course.

simple answer to problem ..... sorry don't have a bank account :D they soon leave you alone !!!

If anyone is being bothered by doorstep callers go to,

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/no-more-junk

It is a free, printable sign that says no cold calling, says that they are breaking the law and includes charity callers at the bottom. I haven't had anyone knocking - they see the sign and walk away!!

I've printed one as it is a good idea. But I can't see any mention of charity callers?

---------- Post added 05-09-2015 at 10:30 ----------

Right, I've spotted it on a different sign.