Sawmakers Arms , Neepsend Who Remembers It?

Did anyone go in this pub it closed in 1996, an usual name perhaps a one and only such named pub . Was their a tool makers who possibly were noted for their saws in the area hence the name. The building still stands on a corner all boarded up though the brickwork has been cleaned up?

Whereabouts at Neepsend was it ?

In my youth I worked in the saw trade but never went in this pub, went in many others though.

Did anyone go in this pub it closed in 1996, an usual name perhaps a one and only such named pub . Was their a tool makers who possibly were noted for their saws in the area hence the name. The building still stands on a corner all boarded up though the brickwork has been cleaned up?

One of my grandfathers was a saw maker, he worked for Slack Sellors. I think there locations were either around Owlerton dog track or Neepsend, or probably both. I'll ask my mother and see if she can remember.

It closed earlier than that Bedford's (spanners) had it as a store, Picture Sheffield has a pic s21952 the two cars outside belonged to Sam and his son from the garage opposite.

Whereabouts at Neepsend was it ?

In my youth I worked in the saw trade but never went in this pub, went in many others though.

1 Neepsend Lane

---------- Post added 05-08-2015 at 15:04 ----------

It closed earlier than that Bedford's (spanners) had it as a store, Picture Sheffield has a pic s21952 the two cars outside belonged to Sam and his son from the garage opposite.
The closing date comes from the website ' Closed Pubs Project' maybe just a guess by someone.

1 Neepsend Lane

---------- Post added 05-08-2015 at 15:04 ----------

The closing date comes from the website ' Closed Pubs Project' maybe just a guess by someone.

Possibly 1969.

The Sawmakers' Arms was on the corner of Ball Street and Neepsend Lane, a short distance from Lancaster Street where the saw manufacturers Slack, Sellars & Co, mentioned by Jon26 in post #3, had their works. The pub had a long history – it had been slaking sawmakers’ thirsts as long ago as 1878, as it appears in a directory compiled in that year, when William Heppenstall was licensee. Here is the relevant entry from the 1881 census return..:)

Edited by hillsbro

The Sawmakers' Arms was on the corner of Ball Street and Neepsend Lane, a short distance from Lancaster Street where the saw manufacturers Slack, Sellars & Co, mentioned by Jon26 in post #3, had their works. The pub had a long history – it had been slaking sawmakers’ thirsts as long ago as 1878, as it appears in a directory compiled in that year, when William Heppenstall was licensee. Here is the relevant entry from the 1881 census return..:)

Burton Road?

Burton Road?
Yes, Burton Road..:)