Best British actor ever, who would you pick

Goodbye Mr Chips the original was a classic. Martin Clunes is a great actor but Robert Donat stole that part

Finally got round to watching it at the weekend. What a truly outstanding film.

Great film the Hill, but for me Connery was the best and one and only James Bond, as for Roger Moore the Best Simon Templer. nice but dim Tim Dalton didn't make the grade and as for Pierce Brosnan it might as well have been Pierce Morgan.:hihi:

I think patrick Mcgoohan would have made a great james bond ,playing him in the same style as his danger man character.

If I had to pick only one. His accent in the Jaws scene is superb, he sounds like a native New Englander. I was genuinely surprised to learn years after this movie was released, that he was British. He also didn't grow up being overexposed to American TV shows, movies and music, which makes his acting in this film even more impressive.

Daniel Craig.

I don't particularly like him as James bond, but how he manages to inject that character with such vulnerability as well as macho is amazing.

The first thing I saw him in was 'Our friends in the North' in which he was outstanding. I've watched him with interest ever since and he's been pretty brilliant in everything he's done.

Daniel Craig.

I don't particularly like him as James bond, but how he manages to inject that character with such vulnerability as well as macho is amazing.

The first thing I saw him in was 'Our friends in the North' in which he was outstanding. I've watched him with interest ever since and he's been pretty brilliant in everything he's done.

He is also good at being nasty, ever see Road to Perdition?

---------- Post added 22-08-2015 at 09:38 ----------

If I had to pick only one. His accent in the Jaws scene is superb, he sounds like a native New Englander. I was genuinely surprised to learn years after this movie was released, that he was British. He also didn't grow up being overexposed to American TV shows, movies and music, which makes his acting in this film even more impressive.

Robert Shaw started out on British TV as Captain Dan Tempest in the series The Buccaneers late 50's early 60's. Another great part was as the gangster Studs Lonhigan in the Sting. He died way too young.

Edited by TORONTONY

peter sellars

most actors just put on different clothes for the films they do sellars

was so committed to the characters he played that he once said that he had no identity outside of them. he just dissapeared inside them:DI liked it when he did multiple roles in films like dr strange love each with their own distinct personalitys , temperaments and styles.

Robert Shaw was one of the best actors England has produced. He really hit the Hollywood top movie headlines in "From Russia with love." The fight on the train with Bond was the best fight scene I have seen. He should have had an Oscar for "Jaws"

the guy who played benny in crossroads, paul henry.

Edited by choogling

We have had a real glut of English talent but one of my favourites has to be Jack Hawkins,unforgatable in one of the better black and white movies," The Cruel Sea",Larry Olivier was no slouch either.Even Richard Attenborough,who can forget Brighton Rock and his part of Pinky.

I think patrick Mcgoohan would have made a great james bond ,playing him in the same style as his danger man character.
He lived in Sheffield before becoming an actor.

Nothing to do with the topic of course, but I just thought I'd mention it.

He lived in Sheffield before becoming an actor.

Nothing to do with the topic of course, but I just thought I'd mention it.

never new that janie ,left school at 16, same as me(15).straight on to a building site.:help:

quote/Sheffield, where he worked as a chicken farmer, a bank clerk and a lorry driver before getting a job as a stage manager at Sheffield Repertory Theatre. When one of the actors became ill, McGoohan was substituted for him, launching his acting career.

wonder who he drove lorrys for ? having seen hell drivers :gag:

never new that janie ,left school at 16, same as me(15).straight on to a building site.:help:

quote/Sheffield, where he worked as a chicken farmer, a bank clerk and a lorry driver before getting a job as a stage manager at Sheffield Repertory Theatre. When one of the actors became ill, McGoohan was substituted for him, launching his acting career.

wonder who he drove lorrys for ? having seen hell drivers :gag:

So now you have discovered even more about him then I knew.

Isn't it great to be so well informed and knowledgeable. :hihi: