Best British actor ever, who would you pick

If I had to pick only one. His accent in the Jaws scene is superb, he sounds like a native New Englander. I was genuinely surprised to learn years after this movie was released, that he was British. He also didn't grow up being overexposed to American TV shows, movies and music, which makes his acting in this film even more impressive.

Hello Sierra :)

Robert Shaw, from what I recall was originally darkhaired but went blonde for the Bond film - very sexy, and not a bad actor either;)

Hello Sierra :)

Robert Shaw, from what I recall was originally darkhaired but went blonde for the Bond film - very sexy, and not a bad actor either;)

Hey back, Cressy!

There are quite a few wonderful British actors who can "fake" an American accent, some quite convincingly. Especially younger people who have been exposed to American TV, movies and music starting when they were in the womb.

Most of the time though, these actors sound slightly "off" to my yank ears. Robert Shaw was one of the very few who had me completely fooled. He really was a very, very talented actor. Just amazing.

---------- Post added 29-08-2015 at 20:49 ----------

Robert Shaw started out on British TV as Captain Dan Tempest in the series The Buccaneers late 50's early 60's. Another great part was as the gangster Studs Lonhigan in the Sting. He died way too young.

His performance in Jaws was just so impressive. I've known a couple salty New England types and that is exactly what they sounded like. He even had the mannerisms down.

Hey back, Cressy!

There are quite a few wonderful British actors who can "fake" an American accent, some quite convincingly. Especially younger people who have been exposed to American TV, movies and music starting when they were in the womb.

Most of the time though, these actors sound slightly "off" to my yank ears. Robert Shaw was one of the very few who had me completely fooled. He really was a very, very talented actor. Just amazing.

---------- Post added 29-08-2015 at 20:49 ----------

His performance in Jaws was just so impressive. I've known a couple salty New England types and that is exactly what they sounded like. He even had the mannerisms down.

Sheffield's own Donald Pleasance was very good at American accents, so was Gary Oldman, not taking anything away from Robert Shaw, in fact he was a favourite of mine, growing up, from his early TV days

the guy who played benny in crossroads, paul henry.

Peter Glaze from 'Crackerjack'.

Peter Glaze from 'Crackerjack'.

yes forgot about him, peter and leslie crowther deserved baftas:hihi:

Radio actors/actresses count too, Betty Marsden (Around the Horne etc) could teach them a thing or two!

---------- Post added 05-09-2015 at 00:09 ----------

yes forgot about him, peter and leslie crowther deserved baftas:hihi:

Leslie Crowther? that's it, I'm off to bed!

guy who played Alfie in the clitheroe kid danny ross

guy who played Alfie in the clitheroe kid danny ross

Danny Ross was 'Alfie" but fellow Lancastrian Ken Platt 'Won't teck me coat off, I'm not stopping!'. was another one from.radio days.... mmm.

Edited by stpetre
Edit

google turned up a web site with shows you can listen to.

Mark Rylance

I believe he may get an Oscar nomination for his latest film

'Bridge of Spies'

:thumbsup:

Paddy Considine

He was mesmerising in Dead Man's Shoes.