Best British actor ever, who would you pick

...I was really trying to find out people's personal favourite British actor...

Sylvia Syms for me then. Still active at 81.

Stewart Granger were a good en.:thumbsup:

I'd like to shove Patrick Stewart in to the mix.

I know he was "only in Star Trek" and will probably be more remembered for that than anything, but he did give some awesome performances in the TNG series. That voice, the way he could strike fear in to my heart when he was angry etc. But, he's also done his time on the stage with Shakespeare and the classics...

...and he's Yorkshire!!!

I know he was "only in Star Trek" and will probably be more remembered for that than anything, but he did give some awesome performances in the TNG series. That voice, the way he could strike fear in to my heart when he was angry etc. But, he's also done his time on the stage with Shakespeare and the classics...

...and he's Yorkshire!!!

He was very good in I Claudius as well long before his S

---------- Post added 08-07-2015 at 10:07 ----------

...and he's Yorkshire!!!

He was very good in I Claudius as well long before his Star Trek efforts.

Agree with Daniel Day Lewis, Pete Postlethwaite and some others that have been mentioned.

Others are Ralph Richardson, Helen Mirren, Colin Firth and Eddie Redmayne who was brilliant in "The Theory of Everything".

...and he's Yorkshire!!!

He was also in Dune and Excalibur.

But for me Richard Burton by a mile. I can watch him in anything but who's afraid of Virginia woolf is my favourite performance.

Sean Bean.

Because...Eeza Blade...Eeza Blade...Eaza Blade!:gag::D

Probably Caine for me (although I personally like Tim Roth,but I know he won't be near the top of any list:P).

Heres a list.

Funny you should say Tim Roth and I should say John Hurt, as they were both bad guys in Rob Roy.As you say neither guy would top a list except as a personal favourite, but both are excellent at what they do

Cary Grant.:D

Alec Guinness is definitely up there. It might also be worth considering Peter Sellars.

...and he's Yorkshire!!!

And his roles in Family Guy and American Dad. I find it hard but amusing to visualise such a "serious" actor doing very silly things.

Richard Burton, that voice. :love:

---------- Post added 15-07-2015 at 11:07 ----------

He was also in Dune and Excalibur.

But for me Richard Burton by a mile. I can watch him in anything but who's afraid of Virginia woolf is my favourite performance.

His reading of Under Milk Wood, was brilliant. :thumbsup:

Forgot Peter O Toole

Edited by Glennis