EU Referendum - How will you vote?

Do you think that the UK should remain a member of the EU?  

530 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that the UK should remain a member of the EU?

• YES
    • NO

Do we know this is genuine? Or does it come from Facebook or somesuch and could it have been made-up?

Irrespective, there's no instruction to employees for voting IN, just a presentation of summary facts and salient points (makes a nice change from the rethoric) and an invitation to reflect on them as part of the recipient's decision-making.

So, er...what else is there to say about it?

I'd say the letter is meant to be a subtle nudge in the ribs.

---------- Post added 04-03-2016 at 21:07 ----------

Sounds like a written equivalent of a visit from Monty Python's Luigi and Dino Vercotti, "Lovely factory, be a pity if anything were to happen to it, you know, if it burnt down or something", with one of the managers 'accidentally' knocking a few pots on the floor "Aww look, they're all smashed now".

Haha! Definately agree with this.

I've just listened to Labours John Mcdonnell explain labours position on the EU, here goes, The EU is disfunctional and needs massive reform but its better to stay in this disfunctional union because we might be able to make it into something good.

What on earth makes him think that after 60 years the EU will suddenly get much better if we vote to stay in it, he sounded like an abused partner that refuses to accept that their abusive partner will never change.

I've just listened to Labours John Mcdonnell explain labours position on the EU, here goes, The EU is disfunctional and needs massive reform but its better to stay in this disfunctional union because we might be able to make it into something good.

What on earth makes him think that after 60 years the EU will suddenly get much better if we vote to stay in it, he sounded like an abused partner that refuses to accept that their abusive partner will never change.

Because maybe he's recognising the formal European Council decision in 2014 that makes provision for a two speed Europe and wants to try and utiliuse that provision to adapt the slower speed EU more to our needs. Everybody recognises that we won't fiscally integrate which means we will never politically integrate so it's a recognition that there is an opportunity to be taken in the slower lane.

Because maybe he's recognising the formal European Council decision in 2014 that makes provision for a two speed Europe and wants to try and utiliuse that provision to adapt the slower speed EU more to our needs. Everybody recognises that we won't fiscally integrate which means we will never politically integrate so it's a recognition that there is an opportunity to be taken in the slower lane.

To make the EU better would require a reversing lane. not a slow lane, a slow lane just means it gets worse at a slower pace.

Edited by sutty27

The speed is not the issue. The UK people clearly don't agree with the bulk of the EU on the destination.

I don't understand how you can use the term "two speed" and then start talking about "never".

The control that the EU exerts over UK law will continue to grow as it always has. It may grow more slowly than the rest of the EU, or the differences may be cosmetic. The only thing that is certain is that they will continue to accumulate power and control.

I'm just not seeing the threats. At all. It's nothing more than political theatrics, poor ones at that! :rolleyes:

You're letting your nationalistic tendencies -or your insecurity- get the better of your objectivity with that one. Still, let the hate (or paranoia) flow, if it makes you feel better.

How is saying the removal of of British border checks in France, and letting the migrants in the Calais camps through to England, not a threat? What possible reason could they have for suggesting our agreement would be torn up other than to coerce?

I agree it is all political theatrics but it doesn't change the fact that it is a disgusting threat to make to an ally. Hollande may just be playing bad cop but he still comes across as an asrehole and he still shames the French in the eyes of insecure, nationalist, little Englanders.... which makes it an ill-conceived tactic.

Makes me wonder, if the boot was on the other foot and the likes of Germany or France were here...i.e an island. Would they opt out? I seriously suspect they'd never have opted in!!

Pretty sick of all the doom & gloom spiel.

We need to be given unbiased facts of what is actually known and what we can expect will happen whether we stay in or opt out.

Personally I consider the UK today to be a very materialistic, narcissistic selfish country that is completely cocooned from the horrors of the worlds oppression and indeed even the hardships that were endured by many many family's not so long ago here in the UK

We've become s nation of bloated lazy gobby slobs and like sheep we all simply go through the daily motions of life whilst all the time not giving a toss for others.

Maybe a hard spell......and maybe politicians that actually had to get up and motivate the country wouldn't be such a bad thing.

Am I proud to be British?? I'm not even remotely patriotic anymore - today flying your flag is often deemed distasteful verging on racism - such is the absurdity of our modern culture.

The speed is not the issue. The UK people clearly don't agree with the bulk of the EU on the destination.

I don't understand how you can use the term "two speed" and then start talking about "never".

The control that the EU exerts over UK law will continue to grow as it always has. It may grow more slowly than the rest of the EU, or the differences may be cosmetic. The only thing that is certain is that they will continue to accumulate power and control.

For us the slower lane clearly at the present time means no further integration. The British public won't tolerate it.

Whether you like it or not the European Council has made provision for this. It seems reasonable to explore the possibility of exploiting it rather than just hysterically rejecting it with pre-canned soundbites.

---------- Post added 04-03-2016 at 22:34 ----------

To make the EU better would require a reversing lane. not a slow lane, a slow lane just means it gets worse at a slower pace.

We would obviously have to adopt some new EU law even if we stayed in and remained in the slow lane. But we should expect those laws to be focused on our trade relationship. Fiscal, political and even some social law is clearly off the agenda because there is simply no appetite for it.

Makes me wonder, if the boot was on the other foot and the likes of Germany or France were here...i.e an island. Would they opt out? I seriously suspect they'd never have opted in!!

Good point, of course they wouldn't. And that's what few can see.

This country has been run by a bunch of pussys (with equally ones in opposition), for years. Probably since WWII if I'd be to put a date on it.

I pretty much agreed with your summing up.

How is saying the removal of of British border checks in France, and letting the migrants in the Calais camps through to England, not a threat? What possible reason could they have for suggesting our agreement would be torn up other than to coerce?

I agree it is all political theatrics but it doesn't change the fact that it is a disgusting threat to make to an ally. Hollande may just be playing bad cop but he still comes across as an asrehole and he still shames the French in the eyes of insecure, nationalist, little Englanders.... which makes it an ill-conceived tactic.

The fact the some EU countries are prepared to make such threats just increase my resolve to vote leave, I imagine it will have the same effect on many other people.

---------- Post added 05-03-2016 at 07:17 ----------

We would obviously have to adopt some new EU law even if we stayed in and remained in the slow lane. But we should expect those laws to be focused on our trade relationship. Fiscal, political and even some social law is clearly off the agenda because there is simply no appetite for it.

I have no doubt that you are correct hence my desire to leave, the deal we end up with after we leave will be down to the muppets we elect every five years and not the EU muppets that we don't elect.