Now its called Play-lunch but..

In the 50's when we went to school, the girls at least had peggy purses and our Mums wrapped a couple of biscuits in greaseproof paper for_____________what on earth did we call it?

Various people called it snap, or bate but that's not the name I remember - anyone with a good memory can put me out of my misery :) ?

.................playtime? in Scotland it is called a play piece, years ago it was called a 'jammy piece' bread and jam to the English!!!!

Sandwiches were always 'pieces' to my nan and grandad growing up in Birmingham too, so clearly that crosses the national border by quite a long way :)

Hearing it called 'piece' brought back another fond memory: reading my Oor Wullie and The Broons annuals.

I so much wanted to be like Wulliie that I asked for a bucket to sit on and Dad scrubbed out the old zinc bucket from the cellar.

I soon discovered it was not as comfy as Wullie made it seem :)

And on the theme of comics, being a tomboy, my favourtes were Beano, Dandy and Eagle with Dan Dare and the Mekons :)

It seems like yesterday.

---------- Post added 28-05-2015 at 09:32 ----------

.................playtime? in Scotland it is called a play piece, years ago it was called a 'jammy piece' bread and jam to the English!!

Yes, the break itself was called playtime, sorry I didn't make myself clear.

It was the name of the snack I can't remember, as you detected.

No, we didn't call it a 'piece' in Yorkshire and I can heck-as-like remember what we did call it. :(

Reminds me so much of my childhood in Scotland, hearing 'piece', a 'piece and jam' was often given as a 'playpiece'. Not heard that term for many years. :)

When we went swimming, we usually got a snack to eat afterwards, known as a 'shivery bite'. I've never heard that term outside Scotland.