Litter on Sheffields streets

Caruso, I still don't understand.

What do you imagine they could do about it? Go out once a week and clear it up themselves? Pay for some labourers to do it? Ring up the council and get put on a waiting list to have it cleaned up in about 6 months?

They could do everything about it if they've a mind to, and not just once a week but everyday if required, as I do myself.

In addition, when the local councilors come round with their leaflets for the local elections, tell them you'll vote for them if they'll seek some remedy for all this litter and demand a guarantee (in writing) that they'll carry it out once elected.

My bold.

Yes exactly that. Or every day when you arrive home if there is litter pick it up. I do it, my parents did it, and my grandparents did.

My Grandparents even scrubbed the step, it is a matter of pride.

In those days their steps will be all they have had to be proud of.

When you keep it clean locals will at least be less likely to litter after a while.

Passing litterers usually don't notice it is clean and drop out of habit.

Cleaning everyday does not work. I once observed an old man going round with a bag and litter picker everyday.

The reaction of a lot of littering kids became that of, oh well the old man will pick it up.

I first let things get a little bad before I clean it so litterers can see their dirty street and then next time when it has been cleaned they can make a more conscious choice to keep it clean or let it become dirty again.

Edited by dutch

Seems odd to pick on Moonshine lane, when just about EVERY area in Sheffield is covered in litter. And it is getting worse, but it's nothing new. Sheffielders have always had a very blasé attitude to litter. I remember Sheffield being much the same when I was a kid in the 70's.

I've been all over Yorkshire in my working life, and you will not find anywhere with more trash-filled streets than in Sheffield. There's nowhere like it. The people just don't care, and will see nothing in lobbing crap out of a car window or throwing wrappers on the streets.

A bit like Doncaster (where I lived for 24 years before moving here) then.

i trust the OP has never visited Page Hall , moonshine lane is positively litter free at the side of Page Hall ......and we all know who is responsible for all the littering / fly tipping / defecating & other filth don't we - or do I have to spell it out ?

Mr A B of Canterbury ur a star !!.... even if you don't have to live with their filth & arrogance

On my street there is a problem when the paper recycling is collected. It spills out of the lidless boxes and blows around as they are waiting to be emptied and later as they are being emptied. After the binmen have been there is litter all over the street. This is progress and caring for the environment? Maybe that is part of the problem on this road too.

I do an occasional 5/10 minute litter pick on my front. People look at me funny when I do it which says a lot really!

I do an occasional 5/10 minute litter pick on my front. People look at me funny when I do it which says a lot really!

Same here. You know what is right and who is the really funny one when ignoring that rubbish.

I only do it once a month, last time I did it I observed a family up the road gave their kids a broom next day but did not bother to teach or show these kids how to use that broom.

They were just running up and down the street with it thinking it is a toy.

Another area covered in litter and dog poo is Grimesthorpe, Wansfell Rd area and Upwell Street as you go to Page Hall.

Its disgusting how these people there have no respect for their property or surroundings. So who wants us to stay in Europe then?? We will end up with more and more areas like this in our beautiful city.:loopy:

Driving to work yesterday morning down Moonshine Lane and followed a road sweeper vehicle who dropped two guys off who started clearing the litter, wow! the power of Sheffield Forum.

The Lane is very clean and clear of litter, well done that team.

Grimesthorpe road must have more litter than any other road in sheffield, is it normal for a road to not get cleaned at all ????

try living in page hall ... if you think that's bad take a stroll / drive round Hinde/Popple/Robey/Wade/Willougbhy streets & surrounding areas , you'll think its "eat ur dinner off" clean at side of that ....