Litter on Sheffields streets

I have taken part in organised community litter picking one Sunday morning in Handsorth and I am sure there are others who would do so too. Treeton dyke is getting quite bad with plastic bottles and bags thrown down. I have seen someone picking the litter up regularly, someone who lives locally near the dyke. This is a beauty spot with water birds,swans, ducks and wildlife, the ancient woodland is precious with an abundance of wild flowers and fauna, how anyone could so carelessly desicrate such a place by mindlessly throwing plastic all over the place beggars belief. I would take part on a community litter pck again should anyone wish to organise one, but please can we start by educating our children.

That is what AMEY are contracted to do. Not every bit of rubbish can be collected every time i.e. the stuff that lives under parked cars. Good work on the carbon dating of rubbish.

Its doesn't need carbon dating, some rubbish is dated, or is obsolete packaging that is no longer printed.

Lots of rubbish chucked over the wall into the weir at Hillsbro corner. It provides a lovely view from the Rawson's new beer garden. :rolleyes:

The road through Greno Woods has notedly become a littering site. The last 2 months it has got really bad. Its time there was cameras on here to catch the culprits.

Id much prefer cameras catching people dropping litter rather than catching people going 3 miles over a speed limit!

Fining people involved having to catch them in the act so will not happen. If the council employs wardens people will complain as it will come from the budget of childcare or something. Fortnightly bin collections should easily be enough if people recycle properly. Larger families are allowed more than one bin I believe.

Think people power is the only way. Lots of complaining but not many practical solutions. Organise a litter picking group in your area. The more there are the better the results will be. Amey provide pickers and bags and will collect the waste.

Report fly tipping by using the "Fix My Street" app, it apparently works better than emailing the council as people nationwide can see all the complaints that have been made.

Fining people would of course involve a cost, but this could be met by the income earned by fines. Surely there would also be a saving on the cost of the work involved that we now have in clearing up. Hopefully the prospect of a heavy fine and an appearance in the local newspaper would deter the litter louts that we currently now have.

I am also all for the criminals who have been sentenced to community service helping the cause to clear up litter. Indeed why not those who incur a jail sentence, perhaps a more lenient sentence for those who agree to help out.

At the risk of causing offence to the human rights brigade I am sure there are more ideas along this line that would help out.

The fact that rubbish being strewn is a National past time.Therefore a National advertising of "KEEP BRITAIN TIDY" which was the motto of years ago should be the order of the day.No its not perfect,but a reminder to people who are just apathetic and careless.

Anyone caught gets the double wammy of a fine and a community service that consists of clearing rubbish from the area.Even this would not stop everyone from fowling our paths and roads.

But it would certainly create more awareness,revenue to continue advertising and to take the onus of passing the responsibility to the council for once, but more importantly for people to take pride in their City.

I'd print in large capital letters on council tenancy agreements that littering or fly tipping would be considered grounds for eviction.

I agree 100% with every paragraph in the original post and the words have been taken out of my mouth. Driving through Firvale I have noticed that the street litter has got really bad in the last 3 to 4 months. I have noticed more waste burning and dark smoke too.

I'd print in large capital letters on council tenancy agreements that littering or fly tipping would be considered grounds for eviction.

Why do you assume that it's council tenants doing the tipping and littering? :huh:

Most of the worst areas are mostly privately owned homes.

As for fly tipping I think not only the tippers should be fined but also those that hire "one van and man to move garden rubbish, fridge etc.". Make them have a licence that they have to show to clients and clients make sure they check.

Also I can understand the litter picking days, but don't really agree with them.

I have done this in the past and where we have cleared within a month it's the same again. In a sense it's condoning the throwing of rubbish.

Get those who are caught doing it to clean it up.

I don't think its council tenants either, they get a certain amount of items removed for free so why?

A lot of the tipping that I see is building materials/things from home improvements again not likely to be from council tenants, large items of furniture that have to have come from a van, and at one spot cannabis plants and trimmings, also sometimes bags of domestic rubbish that tend to blow everywhere, these are the things that are seen every single day at the roadside and at the entrances to country walks where we take our dogs.

Its absolutely disgusting, people have no shame and no pride.

I agree, there is litter everywhere and it's shocking.

Sheffield has a Labour council - enough said!

we have been asking the council to tidy up normanton springs for 3 months now and nothing has been done ,yet the parkway the gateway to sheffield gets done every few weeks but the little village areas get forgotten