Black taxis are horrible

In my old days of private hire taxiing i once picked up an old couple from crosspool. They told me they had a very nasty experience with a black cab from the station. Apparently he turned off the meter saying it didn't work, then went the long route through abbeydale. At the end of the journey they were charged a whopping £90. They felt so intimidated they paid the guy. :o

999 and report a mugging in progress.;)

i have found that to be a black cab driver you have to have lessons in

1 being rude

2 being very rude

3 giving sxxt customer service

4 failing an IQ test

5 got the sack from a least ten other jobs for being arrogant

5 and finally being even more rude

Not my experience of them.

I find them ok on the whole and they often say have a good evening or something similar as I get out.

I won't get in those dreadful sliding door cabs though they are so uncomfortable.

London cabbies aren't perfect. When short of time after arriving on late train, took one from St Pancras to hotel not far from Euston - less than a mile. He shot off in opposite dirwction and had to U turn when I pointed it out. Would have been as quick walking! However taxi cabs in places like London and Edinburgh have much stricter vehicle age rules to ensure old taxis get shunted out to places like Sheffield.

Yes he can. Unless the case got to court.

If he does of course, then you aren't obliged to pay him with anything else.

---------- Post added 10-03-2015 at 08:27 ----------

no black cab drivers these days no were there going how they pass the exams god knows

What exam? The "knowledge" is a London thing, it's never been a Sheffield thing.

If he does of course, then you aren't obliged to pay him with anything else.

---------- Post added 10-03-2015 at 08:27 ----------

What exam? The "knowledge" is a London thing, it's never been a Sheffield thing.

Apparently there is an exam, and I was called a "numpty" in post #22 for suggesting otherwise. Do keep up.

I use taxis regularly and usually book a private cab, which are far more professional in their approach.

Many Black cabs are old and in a poor condition. There used to be an age restriction on them, which should again be a law that is enforced.

They are often cold.

They are often dirty.

The driver can keep you locked in the back – which should be illegal.

Many of the drivers are unfriendly and discourteous

The standard of their driving is often appalling.

As part of their licence it is not unreasonable to expect that they at least know every area/suburb in Sheffield and drive to a minimum standard that I would propose should be advanced from the normal driving test.