Black taxis are horrible

I dont use taxis that often probably once a month and then usually a private company but I was quite shocked yesterday when i caught a black cab from the railway station. The line of black cabs was unbelievable but here was no queue of customers. I had 2 smallish cases and a holdall as well as my handbag. The cab driver sat in his seat with no attempt of offerring to help me with my bags He did not know the area I was going to and I had to explain in detail where I was going. The cab itself was dirty smelly with a horrible black grid seperation. For this experience i was charged £9 70 I gave him £10 and he did not offer any change. As i got out I said how times have changed and I would have expected some help with my luggage but he did not have the decency ( or capacity) to reply. I felt most uncomfortable. I should have called the private taxi firm i used to go down there who were helpful had a clean cab and reasonably priced but with all the taxis available there it seemed daft to wait. Why do the council give out licences to so many black cabs just to block up the road and why are they so horrible i know they get a lot of use from people who abuse them but to charge for a service surely they need to have some kind of standard of cleanliness etc.

Also are the private taxi companies allowed to come and pick up from the station taxi rank or are there rules about that as i wont be using black cabs anymore. I await the inevitable unhelpful replies!

I guess there is no obligation for a taxi driver to get out of his cab and help, if he doesnt then simply dont tip him. He should have offered change though.

I agree that the number of taxis at the station is too many. And I think anyone can pick up from the station, either from right outside or from the pick-up bit a bit further on.

The station taxi rank is owned by East Midlands Trains and only cabs that have paid East Midlands Trains for a station taxi permit may use that rank.

Of course pre-booked private hire cars may still use the public pick up area in the car park.

Couldn't agree more Ms Interpret. Really gets my goat when they charge such expensive fares and then expect you to direct them all the way to your house.

I think maybe it is time to tighten taxi licensing? I believe Rotherham are doing so at the moment, maybe Sheffield could follow suit.

Couldn't agree more Ms Interpret. Really gets my goat when they charge such expensive fares and then expect you to direct them all the way to your house.

I think maybe it is time to tighten taxi licensing? I believe Rotherham are doing so at the moment, maybe Sheffield could follow suit.

If you think thats bad think again. We stayed the weekend in Nottingham. A taxi 4 miles cost £15 and the excuse was it was traffic. Every bump the meter went up.

I dont use taxis that often probably once a month and then usually a private company but I was quite shocked yesterday when i caught a black cab from the railway station. The line of black cabs was unbelievable but here was no queue of customers. I had 2 smallish cases and a holdall as well as my handbag. The cab driver sat in his seat with no attempt of offerring to help me with my bags He did not know the area I was going to and I had to explain in detail where I was going. The cab itself was dirty smelly with a horrible black grid seperation. For this experience i was charged £9 70 I gave him £10 and he did not offer any change. As i got out I said how times have changed and I would have expected some help with my luggage but he did not have the decency ( or capacity) to reply. I felt most uncomfortable. I should have called the private taxi firm i used to go down there who were helpful had a clean cab and reasonably priced but with all the taxis available there it seemed daft to wait. Why do the council give out licences to so many black cabs just to block up the road and why are they so horrible i know they get a lot of use from people who abuse them but to charge for a service surely they need to have some kind of standard of cleanliness etc.

Also are the private taxi companies allowed to come and pick up from the station taxi rank or are there rules about that as i wont be using black cabs anymore. I await the inevitable unhelpful replies!

I lost faith long ago in the idea that taxi drivers have "the knowledge" and can find the quickest route, undirected, to any area of Sheffield. However, I feel less narked about having to direct a driver if he is courteous and helpful. Suggest you keep some Scottish banknotes for occasions such as this!

I lost faith long ago in the idea that taxi drivers have "the knowledge" and can find the quickest route, undirected, to any area of Sheffield. However, I feel less narked about having to direct a driver if he is courteous and helpful. Suggest you keep some Scottish banknotes for occasions such as this!

Scottish banknotes are not legal tender, is that what you mean?

Scottish banknotes are not legal tender, is that what you mean?

Legal tender only applies to settling a debt, not paying for goods or a service. You can pay using whatever you want provided the payer and payee agree. The taxi driver can refuse to accept Scottish notes, it's up to him/her.