Ex council concrete houses

I worked for Sheffield housing dept and was involved in the improvement of some of these houses in parson cross.

This was 15 or so years ago and the situation even then varied wildly between individual properties some needing minimal work and others being designated as only fit for demolition .Some must be "Friday afternoon builds"

An individual and extensive survey of any of these properties would be advisable, bear in mind that when built they were expected to last 25 years!

The major problem at that time was heat retention they were freezing in winter and all suffered from condensation related problems.

Having said all that a few of them had been maintained well and the long term tenants were very happy with their home.

Hope that's helpful.

Potentially you can buy a decent well-proportioned house for much less than a mortgageable property. I would only buy one as a long-term investment though due to potential re-sale problems. As a buy-to-let the return is good if you pay the right price. There are some buildings insurers that will insure these properties. Make sure the property is freehold so if the house eventually crumbles you still own a building plot.

I worked for Sheffield housing dept and was involved in the improvement of some of these houses in parson cross.

This was 15 or so years ago and the situation even then varied wildly between individual properties some needing minimal work and others being designated as only fit for demolition .Some must be "Friday afternoon builds"

An individual and extensive survey of any of these properties would be advisable, bear in mind that when built they were expected to last 25 years!

The major problem at that time was heat retention they were freezing in winter and all suffered from condensation related problems.

Having said all that a few of them had been maintained well and the long term tenants were very happy with their home.

Hope that's helpful.

Yes- an excellent reply.

Of course, one might even buy an unmortgageable concrete house with a view to demolition/reconstruction (if that's financially beneficial and lawfully possible).

When the council modernise this type of property, the simply build a brick outer skin around the old house. When finished they look just like a new house.

Mostly, the proportions inside are far more generous than new builds, so are very popular.

Some good examples of this are on an estate in Eckington.

• 2 weeks later...

I have worked on these concrete houses and find them excellent family homes on generous plots.

Apart from Wimpey no fines quite a few have had the outer skin removed and a modern brick skin around making them mortgaeable.

The better way which includes some foundation work cost probably as much as the house but over time it pays off. For example in the 80's I worked on the Wellgreen esate at Stannington and someone had the better job done at £16k when the old house was probably only worth £20k. Now gp to today and somone has a damn good mortgageable house on a nice estae and it will fetch a good price.

What would be a bonus is if you could by the neighbours and either do the pair or demolish and rebuild.

Wimpey no fines are a pair of houses where there was a mould filled with concrete and then the shuttering removing and a pair of houses shell was formed. Very solid houses but low on insulation which could easily be rectified. These houses ate solid and a good buy. There are some in Deepcar and more in old mining area's.

I would buy a concrete pre cast house but with the intention of a brick skin not Wimpey of course although easily possible.