Ebola - God cured me!

So being unable to prove a negative takes faith?

Faith in what?

Your starting out with the preposition that God doesn't exist. Therefore, you have no desire to prove and expect the answers to come to you.

Theists acknowledge that they don't know all the answers which takes faith.

Long and short of it is that people aren't prepared to accept that they don't know how everything in this world works and don't have all the answers.

Your starting out with the preposition that God doesn't exist. Therefore, you have no desire to prove and expect the answers to come to you.

Theists acknowledge that they don't know all the answers which takes faith.

Long and short of it is that people aren't prepared to accept that they don't know how everything in this world works and don't have all the answers.

Woah, my position is that the evidence for a god or gods doesn't justify a belief.

Faith is belief without evidence. Even worse, there's an example on this thread of rejecting evolution because it doesn't fit with a world view.

Science constantly works towards finding answers to questions, Ebola being one of them. Leaving that to faith would have been catastrophic.

Woah, my position is that the evidence for a god or gods doesn't justify a belief.

Faith is belief without evidence. Even worse, there's an example on this thread of rejecting evolution because it doesn't fit with a world view.

Science constantly works towards finding answers to questions, Ebola being one of them. Leaving that to faith would have been catastrophic.

What was the purpose of you posting this thread?

What was the purpose of you posting this thread?

You can see that from the 1st post, I think it's pretty clear.

You can see that from the 1st post, I think it's pretty clear.

Well from my point of view it would appear that the thread was created specifically to berate anyone with the opinion of God healing...be it Ebola or any other disease or injury.

Your wording does not invite an open discussion. Therefore, the thread is immediately designed for people to agree with you and pat you on the back or disregard any opposing view. Which has been demonstrated numerous times.

Continue if you must. I'm at work tomorrow but aside from that I've got more important things to discuss.

People have faith, if they choose to believe that God intervenes in this world, leave them to it. They are entitled to hold and express this view as much as anyone with an opposing view.

Now if they were demanding you to think the same throughout this thread I would agree with 90% of the posts on here.

Well from my point of view it would appear that the thread was created specifically to berate anyone with the opinion of God healing...be it Ebola or any other disease or injury.

Your wording does not invite an open discussion. Therefore, the thread is immediately designed for people to agree with you and pat you on the back or disregard any opposing view. Which has been demonstrated numerous times.

Continue if you must. I'm at work tomorrow but aside from that I've got more important things to discuss.

People have faith, if they choose to believe that God intervenes in this world, leave them to it. They are entitled to hold and express this view as much as anyone with an opposing view.

Now if they were demanding you to think the same throughout this thread I would agree with 90% of the posts on here.

Keep the faith.

Ah yes. That little get out clause that actually prevents you from answering any questions.

And because of this excuse....the thread becomes less of a debate and more of an inquisition where Teeny or any other Theist is expected to answer every single question put to them from the Atheistic side.

Which devalues this thread even more and highlights my own personal view that this thread only exists to satisfy certain peoples need to humiliate or belittle those that have a faith.

Has it not dawned on you that if Teeny stopped posting then there would be no debate. You are posting just your own personal view about the thread and yet have not contributed to it. Has Teeny complained, no.. and yet is happy to carry on posting and defending her position despite the replies.

Don't forget that its up to the Theists to prove their case that God exists and not up to others to prove he doesn't.

The same as you....any concrete proof that denies the existence of God.

I mean let's face it...if the most intelligent minds (Scientists, Apologists, Scholars, Professors etc) haven't managed it then I don't think it's going to be achieved on Sheffield Forum.

People have faith...get over it

Science can and does shift its ground, or revise hypothesis as and when new evidence comes to light. Evidence appears to be a tricky thing for theists.

The nearest religion gets to this is to 'reinterpret' meanings in their respective texts (witness the squabbling over evolution). And then usually kicking and screaming, when to cling to the 'old view' is so palpably mad it utterly undermines them. Hence different schisms and sects.

'Faith' is not a 'trump' card theists can play to evade an academic argument. 'Faith' is special pleading - it doesn't carry any weight and doesn't permit a position to be posited without evidence. Requesting the evidence isn't to harangue anyone. It is simply asking for the evidence.

Edited by perplexed

The same as you....any concrete proof that denies the existence of God.

I mean let's face it...if the most intelligent minds (Scientists, Apologists, Scholars, Professors etc) haven't managed it then I don't think it's going to be achieved on Sheffield Forum.

People have faith...get over it

Do you have any concrete proof that purple unicorns don't exist?

I'm sure you're well aware that if someone claims that something not readily detectable exists, it's up to that person to provide the proof, it's not for others to disprove.

Would you be happy to provide proof that purple unicorns don't exist or would you say it's up to the person making the claim that they do?

There are a great many irrational and unusual beliefs held by many different people, but all these beliefs have developed at some point since birth. The beginning of the line of questioning would not be "prove your god exists" or "prove my god doesn't exist", it should be "Why do you believe in your particular god (out of a huge selection) in the first place?".

---------- Post added 04-01-2016 at 09:38 ----------

Me and you and our state of consciousness and awareness of our existence and the very fact that we can discuss this :)

...and what leads you to believe that a god is responsible for this?

Edited by RootsBooster

To quote Ricky Gervais:

There have been nearly 3000 Gods so far but only yours actually exists.The others are silly made up nonsense. But not yours. Yours is real.

3*He said to the man with the withered hand: “Get up and come to the center.” 4*Next he said to them: “Is it lawful on the Sabbath to do good or to do harm, to save a life or to kill?” But they kept silent. 5*After looking around at them with indignation, being thoroughly grieved at the insensibility of their hearts, he said to the man: “Stretch out your hand.” And he stretched it out, and his hand was restored. 6*At that the Pharisees went out and immediately began holding council with the party followers of Herod against him, in order to kill him.

Why can't healers heal like this ?

Any type of illness ?

Only less obvious claims ?

The answer is simple - they can't .

3*He said to the man with the withered hand: “Get up and come to the center.” 4*Next he said to them: “Is it lawful on the Sabbath to do good or to do harm, to save a life or to kill?” But they kept silent. 5*After looking around at them with indignation, being thoroughly grieved at the insensibility of their hearts, he said to the man: “Stretch out your hand.” And he stretched it out, and his hand was restored. 6*At that the Pharisees went out and immediately began holding council with the party followers of Herod against him, in order to kill him.

Why can't healers heal like this ?

Any type of illness ?

Only less obvious claims ?

The answer is simple - they can't .

Post #1257 ?