Why can't we have something like this? City Council are you reading this?

http://www.leeds.gov.uk/Free%20city%20bus/page.aspx?style

After all the traffic chaos around the Train Station,I think we should petiton the council for a free bus scheme like the one in the link.After all if Leeds can do it why can't we? A good simple idea that WORKS! It picks up and drops off at Universities,hospitals,shopping areas,etc.

Sheffield lag behind Leeds the city vs. city debate again.

C'mon Sheffield city council give us something for our council tax!

Don't be silly, thats far to far a sensible suggestion that would actually help people, and at the same time costing them money, they would all come out in a cold sweat at the thought of giving up a "forign junket" or 2 for the people who actually pay their wages!!!:loopy:

I bet that anyone on the council reading this would either have a cold sweat or laugh their heads off !!!

I as a car driver, who needs it for my work, and on the whole never go into the city centre, and as a council tax payer, think its a damm good idea, it would help the city centre become the attraction it wants to become with all the work thats going into the city centre and be a major boost for the shops that are there, lets hope that the council do somthing like this properly, and not a half baked idea that they seem to come up with all to often

Having read The Star tonight and the letters complaining about the free bus, tram, and train travel for pensioners and the disabled, do you think that all of the tax payers of Sheffield will gladly pay extra council tax to provide a free bus around the city? Or perhaps you could suggest how it is paid for?

And what foreign junkets are the councillors of Sheffield taking?

we HAD a service like that, it was the number 500, City Clipper service!!!!

it ran from Pond Street bus station, to the Co-Op arcade on Ecclesall Road, and back, from the lat e seventies, through to at least teh mid eighties.

and[/i] it was free, too, just like the l**ds one is!

there is a thread on here somewhere suggesting we bring the City Clipper back.

PT

Yes there was the City Clipper up to 1986 and that was paid for out of the rates. Then the busses were deregulated and the Tories made the SYPTE sell the bus company to the private sector. We live in a different world now and as much as I would like to see the Re-nationalisation of the busses and the trains, I can see that it is not going to happen. What we do need is re-regulation of the transport in South Yorkshire, so that the buses and the routs they run on are not just run for the convenience of the bus companies.

Won't happen in Sheffield. The council have spent a lot of money tarting up round the station and Howard street etc. and they want arrivals at the station to admire their handiwork. If that means hoofing it to the centre of town lugging a suitcase - hard cheese :D

what works in Leeds may not work in Sheffield. Don't start banging on about the council when Leeds and Sheffield are two totally different cities. Leeds has a hospital in the city centre, and another 5 mins away. Leeds also has two Universities next to the city centre (about 2 mins away), Sheff Uni is about 10 mins away and Sheff Hallam is all over the place. In Leeds, the bus and train stations are a good 5-10 mins apart, unlike Sheffield where they are next to each other. In Leeds, there is a good loop which makes the project feasible.