Why can't we have something like this? City Council are you reading this?

what works in Leeds may not work in Sheffield. Don't start banging on about the council when Leeds and Sheffield are two totally different cities. Leeds has a hospital in the city centre, and another 5 mins away. Leeds also has two Universities next to the city centre (about 2 mins away), Sheff Uni is about 10 mins away and Sheff Hallam is all over the place. In Leeds, the bus and train stations are a good 5-10 mins apart, unlike Sheffield where they are next to each other. In Leeds, there is a good loop which makes the project feasible.

The City clipper worked, and worked extremely well. and was popular. It was (And, indeed IS still) needed because of the elongated layout of Sheffield city centre.

when the co-op arcade shut down, the terminus point was moved from outside the co-op to the Moorfoot, (Cumberland Street).

you say "l**ds has a good loop"... well, iirc, the roads that the clipper ran along are still there, with only one minor exception, which is that the "hole-in-the-road is no longer there, but the road still follows pretty much the same route as 30, 30, or even 40 years ago.

On one of the transport groups that I am on, we have been discussing how we are going to conect the two ends of the city centre, and link these numerous "mini interchanges" that are planned to be built over the next few years.

I have suggested to the group that we really ought to press for the return of the Clipper service.

As the population ages, people are not going to want to traipse with bags and bags of shopping or other luggage between the interchange points, so a return to the clipper would be a great asset (and perhaps encourage more shoppers in, and thus aid the regeneration of Sheffield).

I can't see the logic of "it might work for l*ds, but it won't work for Sheffield" argument when the clipper service worked perfectly fine before the de-regulation of 86...

we could do what GNER did to their train s that run the Flying Scotsman route, and call it "the route of the city clipper!" (LOL)

PT

Yes there was the City Clipper up to 1986 and that was paid for out of the rates. Then the busses were deregulated and the Tories made the SYPTE sell the bus company to the private sector. We live in a different world now and as much as I would like to see the Re-nationalisation of the busses and the trains, I can see that it is not going to happen. What we do need is re-regulation of the transport in South Yorkshire, so that the buses and the routs they run on are not just run for the convenience of the bus companies.

Almost correct - Deregulation FORMED SYPTE, and the other Transport Executives in the Metrolpolitan Areas, by splitting off operating company from regulatory authority.

When the buses went in to 'private ownership' the major change was on paper; the people driving them, managing them, etc. were EXACTLY the same poeple who'd been there before de-regulation. The staff of SYPTE, for example, at de-regulation were previously part of SYT on the whole.

As has been pointed out, what works for Leeds doesn't work for Sheffield, and vice-versa. Leeds is a larger city centre to get around, to start with, and whilst I appreciate that it can be difficult for some groups in the community to get around the city, the vast majority of these are precisely the ones who can get or very soon will get free or very cheap travel anyway!

I think I would rather see fewer services using High Street, etc. that seem to run aroudn half empty most of the days. They fill the streets around the city centre, and realistically on some routes you could get away with half the frequency in the middle of the day and still move all the people.

Reduce the frequency of these services and then introduce a series of little mini-buses that operate on a 20 or 30p Fare structure. They literally just buzz around the city centre and drop off at the Interchanges and station. If you can afford to be lumbered with bags of shopping, you can afford the extra 20p to ride the bus....

Joe

http://www.leeds.gov.uk/Free%20city%20bus/page.aspx?style

After all the traffic chaos around the Train Station,I think we should petiton the council for a free bus scheme like the one in the link.After all if Leeds can do it why can't we? A good simple idea that WORKS! It picks up and drops off at Universities,hospitals,shopping areas,etc.

Sheffield lag behind Leeds the city vs. city debate again.

C'mon Sheffield city council give us something for our council tax!

Thanks for the link shefandy, I've got to go on a two day course at LGI in April so this will come in very handy!

we HAD a service like that, it was the number 500, City Clipper service!!!!

it ran from Pond Street bus station, to the Co-Op arcade on Ecclesall Road, and back, from the lat e seventies, through to at least teh mid eighties.

and[/i] it was free, too, just like the l**ds one is!

there is a thread on here somewhere suggesting we bring the City Clipper back.

PT

I thought of this, and also the cheap fares which were next to nothing really. But I dont think there is a snowballs chance in hell of them coming back.

Almost correct - Deregulation FORMED SYPTE, and the other Transport Executives in the Metrolpolitan Areas, by splitting off operating company from regulatory authority.

When the buses went in to 'private ownership' the major change was on paper; the people driving them, managing them, etc. were EXACTLY the same poeple who'd been there before de-regulation. The staff of SYPTE, for example, at de-regulation were previously part of SYT on the whole.

As has been pointed out, what works for Leeds doesn't work for Sheffield, and vice-versa. Leeds is a larger city centre to get around, to start with, and whilst I appreciate that it can be difficult for some groups in the community to get around the city, the vast majority of these are precisely the ones who can get or very soon will get free or very cheap travel anyway!

I think I would rather see fewer services using High Street, etc. that seem to run aroudn half empty most of the days. They fill the streets around the city centre, and realistically on some routes you could get away with half the frequency in the middle of the day and still move all the people.

Reduce the frequency of these services and then introduce a series of little mini-buses that operate on a 20 or 30p Fare structure. They literally just buzz around the city centre and drop off at the Interchanges and station. If you can afford to be lumbered with bags of shopping, you can afford the extra 20p to ride the bus....

Joe

Thanks for that correction JoeP; the old memory has played tricks on me again. I am not sure that reducing the number of buses on High Street would be of benefit. That may mean a reduction of the services that come from the outskirts of the city. As one who uses the buses, I have only 2 per hour, or a 2-mile walk to the tram, any reduction would be most unhelpful.

As I understand it, the old City Clipper 500 bus was free because at the time the “bendy buses” were being used and no charge could be made for passengers on an articulated vehicle at that time. I think this traffic regulation was changed in the mid 80s around the time of de-regulation.

As there are a number of buses that travel from one end of the city to the other (41 comes to mind) is there a need for a circle route?

As I understand it, the old City Clipper 500 bus was free because at the time the “bendy buses” were being used and no charge could be made for passengers on an articulated vehicle at that time. I think this traffic regulation was changed in the mid 80s around the time of de-regulation.

when the bendibuses were introduced, it is correct, the law said that fares could not be charged for travel on an articulated vehicle.

As there are a number of buses that travel from one end of the city to the other (41 comes to mind) is there a need for a circle route?

The 41 only travels from Halfway to go though the City centre, it isn't a cross- city route.

PT

when the bendibuses were introduced, it is correct, the law said that fares could not be charged for travel on an articulated vehicle.

The 41 only travels from Halfway to go though the City centre, it isn't a cross- city route.

PT

Plain Talker do you have a list of all the bus routes?:hihi:

Archived