Who would be the first President of a British republic?

Can we do without a monarch or a president?

Every country has a head of state. You can add the job to the PM's position, but that makes the a bit too powerful for my liking.

Any non extremist Muslim will do for me! :hihi:

As it seems some Muslims favor other muslims (going by your post), why would we want a person who represents just 4.5% of over 65 million people?

Edited by Berberis

forget about Muslims, a British president/Head of State couldn't even be a Catholic. The Tories got rid of the heretic Ian Duncan Smith. And Blair had to wait until he was out of office until he formally converted.

I don't think that tax dodgers are suitable candidates for Presidency.

Why not? They make it to prime minister.

forget about Muslims, a British president/Head of State couldn't even be a Catholic. The Tories got rid of the heretic Ian Duncan Smith. And Blair had to wait until he was out of office until he formally converted.

Well considering 72% of the UK population consider themselves Christian, thats a sizable majority compared to the 4.5% of Muslims.

In the USA, a president is elected every 4 years by an electoral college - the college is who the people vote for, not the pres. directly.

Then their Representatives are elected separately, to represent their electors.

UK and Australia elect members to a Lower House of Parliament. These MP's do the "Electoral College" job of electing a prime minister, and have the right to change PM's at any time (usually done sneakily in the Party Room); but they have two tasks. One is to represent the voters; the other is to support (or bring down) the PM. These two roles sometimes conflict.

He sure is, is he still schtumping that researcher? Posh woman Lois Blassenheim? Also fiddled his expenses did Dennis, £1400 iish to his accountants. Personal debt paid by our taxes. Typical Labour, you know, immoral and corrupt.

---------- Post added 10-06-2014 at 14:55 ----------

I cant think of anyone who fills the bill, maybe Michael Palin?

How about Sarah Palin?

I still fail to see why people need a head of state. Is it because the people we elect are so inept and corrupt?

If we did need a nominated "leader" I'd go for David Attenborough

I still fail to see why people need a head of state. Is it because the people we elect are so inept and corrupt?

or mr bean?

I think this thread rather demonstrates why having a monarchy might actually be the best long term option...

BRIAN BLESSED!

He would ensure Britain's voice is heard across the world.

---------- Post added 01-05-2016 at 00:53 ----------

He sure as, is he still schtumping that researcher? Posh woman Lois Blassenheim?

I think that, after 22 years, schtumping might qualify is a loving long-term relationship - I don't know if they're still together, but she'd be 69 and he's 84 - it's not exactly a Mellor/Sanchez, or Osborne/Rowe kind of liason really, not by a long shot.

Edited by Phanerothyme

Some friends came over from USA. We showed them DA's videos.

They were astounded; they knew the videos, but in USA they are presented and narrated by --- Oprah Winfrey!

(They can't understand DA's accent)

So if we choose DA as President, will the USA elect Oprah?

(Better than getting the DT's, anyway!)

Edited by jfish1936
Misspelling in original