Bus Fare Price!

The concessionary bus fare was never 32p.

It was 30p from 1997 then went to 33p in 1998. It stayed at 33p until January 2002 when it went to 35p.

I remember it being 30p and 35p but not 33p.

Late 70s it was 7p from Banner Cross into town and 2p for kids. Can still hear my mum asking for "7 and two halves, please"

Why the dig at the driver? he doesn't have any part to play in the pricing of the fares!!! Instead why not be constructive with your opinion and E-Mail the person who is responsible for (in your opinion expensive) fares!

I wasn't having a dig at the driver, more like light hearted banter and that's how the driver responded to it. So perhaps you might like to think not all of us are out for confrontation like it appears you are.

I wasn't having a dig at the driver, more like light hearted banter and that's how the driver responded to it. So perhaps you might like to think not all of us are out for confrontation like it appears you are.

I would have thought being an ex driver, you'd have handled it well anyway so don't worry, fares are expensive though I balk when the wife tells me.

I remember the 2p bus fares for kids.

Me and my mates used to ride the 91 and 98 buses from Grenoside on their circular route through High Green in both directions during the Summer holidays.....Happy days! :D

Regards

Doom

I remember paying a penny for my bus fares... my mum used to send me to school with thrupence, a penny for the fare up, a penny for the fare back, and a penny to spend in the tuck shop.

Heh they used to be much cheaper than that before maggie privatised them.

You gorit in one pal !

I remember paying a penny for my bus fares....
Yep - it was a simple matter in the 1950s, and also into the 1960s, when 5 to 13 year-olds paid either a penny or twopence for journeys within the city boundary. Here's a scan from a 1954 "bus guide"..:) Edited by hillsbro

Yep - it was a simple matter in the 1950s, and also into the 1960s, when 5 to 13 year-olds paid either a penny or twopence for journeys within the city boundary. Here's a scan from a 1954 "bus guide"..:)

If I remember rightly the fares in the early seventy's was 1 shilling and 2 shillings , dependant on your distance .

The aim was - and I remember it well - a gradual progression toward free transprt.

Hi mikebatty - I think fares were lower than that in the 1970s. What I do remember clearly is that in 1986, with deregulation, the adult fare on the 82 bus from Hillsborough to Snig Hill went up overnight from 10p to 30p.

Hi mikebatty - I think fares were lower than that in the 1970s...
Yes - after decimalisation in 1971, typical fares within the city boundary were 4p to 8p.

Hi mikebatty - I think fares were lower than that in the 1970s. What I do remember clearly is that in 1986, with deregulation, the adult fare on the 82 bus from Hillsborough to Snig Hill went up overnight from 10p to 30p.

You may be right post Feb 15th 1971 but I am referring to pre. when it was "D".

1/- and 2/- ( In real money and not Micky Mouse money). :hihi:

You do remember what the new pound coin was cynically called at the time do you ?

Please say no , as I would love to remind you !

---------- Post added 26-11-2013 at 21:37 ----------

Yes - after decimalisation in 1971, typical fares within the city boundary were 4p to 8p.

Were They not 5p. and 10p. ( 1/- and 2/-) ?

You may be right post Feb 15th 1971 but I am referring to pre. when it was "D". 1/- and 2/- ( In real money and not Micky Mouse money). :hihi:...
But 2/- = 10p, which is more than the 1970s fares (at least, within the city boundary) as Banker correctly wrote. In pre-decimal times a fare of 1/- would only have been charged for a journey to somewhere outside Sheffield. In the late 1970s they introduced weekly cards which were valid for 10 journeys; the cards were different colours for different values and they varied from 4p to 8p. For each journey the driver or conductor punched a hole in part of the ticket.