Bus Fare Price!

But 2/- = 10p, which is more than the 1970s fares (at least, within the city boundary) as Banker correctly wrote. In pre-decimal times a fare of 1/- would only have been charged for a journey to somewhere outside Sheffield. In the late 1970s they introduced weekly cards which were valid for 10 journeys; the cards were different colours for different values and they varied from 4p to 8p. For each journey the driver or conductor punched a hole in part of the ticket.

If I remember correctly, the fare was 1/- within the city boundary and 2/- beyond . This may have had something to do with the agreements set by the joint omnibus agreement which I think was operated conjointly with BR..

I would, of course ,stand corrected.

i moved to s20 in 1981 the fare to town was 10p on the 41

i moved to s20 in 1981 the fare to town was 10p on the 41

Mosborough was regarded as "out of town " and therefor would have attracted the fare of 10p ( 2/-).

Used to catch bus from wincobank to Saville st,it was 2p.

Used to catch bus from wincobank to Saville st,it was 2p.

I used to catch a tram from school to home for a penny (d).

I used to buy a packet of fags for 1s/3d

I paid 9d for a pint of Stones bitter.

I handed over 6.1/4d for an uncut loaf ( no sliced bread in those days).

I think it is called inflation ?

It was never a simple matter of one fare applying within the city boundary and a higher fare beyond it. At the time of decimalisation in 1971 a fare of 1/- would have been higher than most fares within the city - 3d to 8d being more typical (Hillsborough Corner to Angel Street on the 82, for example, was 6d), while journeys outside the city could cost much more than 2/-.. Even as early as 1954 the single fare to Upton on the No 70 was 2/5, while to go to Manchester on the 48 cost 4/4. Here are the relevant scans of fare tables in the 1954 bus guide.

I used to catch a tram from school to home for a penny (d).

I used to buy a packet of fags for 1s/3d

I paid 9d for a pint of Stones bitter.

I handed over 6.1/4d for an uncut loaf ( no sliced bread in those days).

I think it is called inflation ?

Yep - in 1959 a Barratt's Sherbert Dip from the school tuck shop cost 2d, a Wagon Wheel 3d, and three shots on the rifle range at Owlerton fair 6d. With any luck you came away with a plaster model of an owl..:)

I remember it being 30p and 35p but not 33p.

For the child fare, I think it went from 5 to 10 to 15 to 20 to 30 to 33 to 35 to 40 then I think it went to 50 and is now 60.

It definitely went from 30-33-35-40.

I remember the child fare going from 5p to 10p. We all walked to school in protest*

*for a few days until it started raining.

When I was going to school in the early-mid seventies the child fare was 2p up to the equivalent adult rate of 12p, then 4p up to 20p & 2p for every 10p additional adult equivalent thereafter. Since Woodseats into town was only 8p adult fare you had to go a fair distance (pardon the pun) before having to fork out 4p. In any case we'd usually get away with a penny in the videmat machines (if that was the correct name?). Not forgetting the City Clipper which was free since the bendi-buses used on the route were classified as a vehicle & trailer which, legally, you weren't allowed to charge fares for using.

Sadly cheap fares became a thing of the past, along with Sheffield's Navy & Cream bus livery, when the whole caboodle was transferred to SYPTE (South Yorkshire Passenger & Transport Executive) to run. This was all then de-regulated by Maggie's mob & the rest is (unfortunately) history.

---------- Post added 28-11-2013 at 00:56 ----------

When I was going to school in the early-mid seventies the child fare was 2p up to the equivalent adult rate of 12p, then 4p up to 20p & 2p for every 10p additional adult equivalent thereafter. Since Woodseats into town was only 8p adult fare you had to go a fair distance (pardon the pun) before having to fork out 4p. In any case we'd usually get away with a penny in the videmat machines (if that was the correct name?). Not forgetting the City Clipper which was free since the bendi-buses used on the route were classified as a vehicle & trailer which, legally, you weren't allowed to charge fares for using.

Sadly cheap fares became a thing of the past, along with Sheffield's Navy & Cream bus livery, when the whole caboodle was transferred to SYPTE (South Yorkshire Passenger & Transport Executive) to run. This was all then de-regulated by Maggie's mob & the rest is (unfortunately) history.

I remember in the late '70's the fare from Sheffield to Rotherham on the 69 bus was 11p, then at some point all the fares were rounded up or down to the nearest 5p so it went down to 10p.

1972.....5p Pond St to Manor park.....17p Pond st to Dinnington......

Whatever the price was in pennies it could be again if services were run for people not profit. We still (just about) run health and education on a non-profit basis and moving around is a basic human right too i believe, which means public tansport should be free at the point of use in a similar manner.