Late 50s Grammar Schools

Royston

It was actually ".. quicquid Edwardensium". In case any Old Edwardians feel inspired to burst into song, here are the words:

Tempus est ut concinamus quicquid Edwardensium

nunc adestis, hoc sit omnis thema nostri carminis;

qualis est qui cuique nostrum semper aemulandus est?

ille verus Edwardensis, quisquis humani nihil

a sese alienum putabit, usque consors ceteris

sive gaudebunt secundis seu laborabunt malis.

strenuus labore mentis, corporis non negligens,

omnium sententiarum perspicax inquisitor;

semper artium bonarum pervicax videbitur.

D.B. Harrison was indeed P.E./swimming master. Sadly, he died young of a heart attack in 1967.

See http://nlc.oldedwardians.org.uk/

I recall that that aemulandus used to go on for circa six seconds.

Ecclesfield Grammar turned comprehensive about 1974, 75 or 76. I went to the grammar school aged 11 in 1962. The Head was Arnold Henry Jennings and the head of year 1 and 2 which moved into the old Modern School building was Harry Birkby. His son Edward was in my class. The french teacher, Mr Cochrane, had two sons at the school Simon who was in my year and Toby who started there a year or two later. The other teachers I remember are Gabby Hayes (Maths) Mr Sant (art), Miss Webster (science) and Mrs Palmer - my form teacher - (english)

• 6 months later...

My name is Graham Sencicle and I was interested to read the thread with regard to Sencicle Boule, a teacher at NEGS in the 50's. My great grandfather was Jonathan Sencicle of Burringham, Lincs. His first wife died in 1867 and he re-married married Ellen Harrison in 1878. I'm wondering if there might be a connection to Sencicle Boule. Were the Harrisons of Gleadless a local family do yo know?

Owler Lane was a scolarship pass, but was termed an Intermediate school the same as Marlcliffe. The uniform was grey and maroon and the motto "Per Ardua Ad Alta". I attended there until Xmas 1959. HM was Pop Gregory, others, Fairest, Boardman, MacDonald, Pegg, Holmes, Gladsby, Lupton and others I cannot remember.

There was I believe a Mr Clark, quite a small guy who didn't always use a cane, his weapon of choice was a rubber gas pipe that wrapped around you.What was the metalwork teacher called?he was a registered silversmith. When you were in trouble he'd call you a chuff,then to cover his arse he'd inform you that was a Red Legged Crow.

• 3 months later...
Who can remember the list of available Sheffield Grammar schools in or around 1956?? Unfortunately I was not one of the successful entrants but life has turned out pretty good in the "big picture". Thank you in advance for any help offered - from an ex Arbourthorner here Toronto.

The ones I remember are Firth Park, Eckington,Woodhouse, King Edward V11,Abbeydale boys', Abbeydale girls', High Storrs, Ecclesfield and King Egbert, but there must have been more.

Glad to hear life's good in Toronto- great city! :)

There was I believe a Mr Clark, quite a small guy who didn't always use a cane, his weapon of choice was a rubber gas pipe that wrapped around you.What was the metalwork teacher called?he was a registered silversmith. When you were in trouble he'd call you a chuff,then to cover his arse he'd inform you that was a Red Legged Crow.

Charlie Crownshaw. I remember the 'red legged crow' line. Another of his was "These hands were trained to kill".

• 11 months later...
  • 2 years later...