Late 50s Grammar Schools

Royston

Brincliffe Grammar School was in existence from 1958 to 1965. The school was housed in the former Nether Edge Grammar School building. Most of the Nether Edge staff moved to the newly opened Abbeydale Boys Grammar School.

Brincliffe Grammar School was in existence from 1958 to 1965. The school was housed in the former Nether Edge Grammar School building. Most of the Nether Edge staff moved to the newly opened Abbeydale Boys Grammar School.

I left the year it closed in 1965. The Head was Mr. Hill, maths teacher Mr. Spinks, Miss Bingham was the French teacher and Mrs. Potter was the English language teacher.

The building is still there but, now converted into flats.

I left the year it closed in 1965. The Head was Mr. Hill, maths teacher Mr. Spinks, Miss Bingham was the French teacher and Mrs. Potter was the English language teacher.

The building is still there but, now converted into flats.

Hi Duffems,

I left Brincliffe in 1963. The teachers in my last year were: Mr Boul (physics & chemistry); Mrs Potter (english literature & language); Mrs Westley (maths); Mr Kirk (german); Miss Bingham (french); Mr Siddle (history & p.e.); Mr Cutts (geography); Mr Howson (r.e. & music).

I got on with most of the teachers except for Mr Boul & Mrs Potter. Mr Boul had a short fuse but if I incurred his wrath, it was mostly my own fault. Also he had missed out on a teaching post at Abbeydale Grammar which probably accounts for his short temper. I found Mrs Potter impossible to please. She set far too much homework & expected far too much from us. How did you get on with her?

I had a look round when the flats were up for sale about 10 years ago. Unfortunately the classroom where I had spent 4 years had been converted & sold. Also, disappointingly, I had no feeling of familiarity with the place; I suppose 40 years was too long a gap.

Hi Duffems,

I left Brincliffe in 1963. The teachers in my last year were: Mr Boul (physics & chemistry); Mrs Potter (english literature & language); Mrs Westley (maths); Mr Kirk (german); Miss Bingham (french); Mr Siddle (history & p.e.); Mr Cutts (geography); Mr Howson (r.e. & music).

I got on with most of the teachers except for Mr Boul & Mrs Potter. Mr Boul had a short fuse but if I incurred his wrath, it was mostly my own fault. Also he had missed out on a teaching post at Abbeydale Grammar which probably accounts for his short temper. I found Mrs Potter impossible to please. She set far too much homework & expected far too much from us. How did you get on with her?

I had a look round when the flats were up for sale about 10 years ago. Unfortunately the classroom where I had spent 4 years had been converted & sold. Also, disappointingly, I had no feeling of familiarity with the place; I suppose 40 years was too long a gap.

Hi fatrajah,

I found Mrs. Potter impossible full stop. She once held up the lesson because I was talking to someone as she came into the class room, she asked me what I was "holding fort about", because I'd never heard the expression so I couldn't reply, she just sat there waiting for an explanation. I didn't give her an answer so I received detention for not understanding the expression "holding fort". We were there to learn not to be punished for not knowing something. The other teachers were OK and the Head, Mr. Hill was a really nice chap. I can't say that I enjoyed my time there and, years later I went to a reunion which I found very disappointing, the former pupils were very pretentious and arrogant.

Regards,

Duffems

Hi Puffin4,

I had forgotten about Fred's brother until you reminded me of him.

I can't remember Barry Parker. Was their farm at the bottom of the hill opposite Richmond Hall Road?

"If only he had been to King Ted's". Are you inferring that you would have preferred to have gone to King Ted's rather than that fountain of all knowledge that was NEGS?:D

The walk to Handsworth should have been a doddle for a fit young lad like you. What with PT lessons, the marathon walks to the school sports ground, and it being all downhill from Richmond to the bottom of Laverack Street or Richmond Road (Britton Hill), I would have thought you would have breezed up either of those roads to Handsworth Road!:D

Knowing your career after NEGS, were you a member of the aircraft club that met about once a month to talk about, or have visiting speakers to talk about aviation, both military and civil? The membership fee per meeting being used to purchase each monthly issue of "Flight" magazine. Each member then brrowing the magazine in turn.

Regards

M.

Hi Manaman,

Sorry that I never got around to answering your post of 5 years ago. Shortly after you left it, I had a near death experience which resulted in a 2 month stay in Papworth Hospital and extensive heart surgery. I completely forgot about this conversation and just happened to turn it up today whilst trawling the net. I hope all is well with you.

In answer to your questions: Yes the farm was opposite Richmond Hall Road.

Yes, I would have preferred to go to King Ted's.

The Walk was to the bottom of Britton Hill.

No, I don't remember the aircraft club. I was honouring my national service committment and found that I enjoyed the life. I stayed with it for 22 years.

I saw Fred the Christmas before last when he called in to see me. He looked very fit and well, with a long white beard.

Regards,

Mike

Edited by Puffin4
typo

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

No, as was pointed out earlier in the thread Greystones was an "Intermediate" school in the sense that academically, it was between Grammar and Sec Mod status. You had to pass the 11+ to get in and I believe the options for O and A levels were not as strong as at a Grammar school. I attend High Storrs Grammar (Boys) and we had the occasional student who performed well at Greystones transfer into our school.

Ecclesfield Grammar turned comprehensive about 1974, 75 or 76. I went to the grammar school aged 11 in 1962. The Head was Arnold Henry Jennings and the head of year 1 and 2 which moved into the old Modern School building was Harry Birkby. His son Edward was in my class. The french teacher, Mr Cochrane, had two sons at the school Simon who was in my year and Toby who started there a year or two later. The other teachers I remember are Gabby Hayes (Maths) Mr Sant (art), Miss Webster (science) and Mrs Palmer - my form teacher - (english)

I too was a pupil at Ecclesfield, from 1969 -1976 when it was a comprehensive school, I think it changed from Grammar status in 1967. By then Mr Birkby was then Deputy Head, I also remember well Mr Moss (PE) Hedley Knibbs (Geog) Mrs Staines (Maths) Das Smith (French) to name just a few.