Is this legal? : Stoning of grass verges

Buses pull up onto the verge outside my house all the time and its so annoying! If you see the mess it looks in winter, its just irritating. I drive, but I actually have consideration for other people, so dont drive onto the grass outside their house.

Im sure the people who are complaining probably either dont have verges outside their house, or just dont care whether their area looks a mess!

Originally posted by Mooseyb

Buses pull up onto the verge outside my house all the time and its so annoying! If you see the mess it looks in winter, its just irritating. I drive, but I actually have consideration for other people, so dont drive onto the grass outside their house.

cant you put a little pickets fence up??

Guest unners

Im sure the people who are complaining probably either dont have verges outside their house, or just dont care whether their area looks a mess!

Is there a particular reason for the Buses pulling up on to the Verge?Double parked cars for example?

If they are doing it for no reason then you should complain to the depot,or put some white painted rocks on the verge!!

Originally posted by John

Bradford council have passed a bylaw - £30 fine for parking on pavements and grass verges.

This is what is needed in Sheffield.

Does anyone here mount two wheels on the pavements/grass verges where they live?

I always park on my drive but it is quite common on my road to mount the pavements.

Many streets are very narrow and houses were built before it was common for every family to have a car.

It's easy to say 'don't put two wheels on the pavement' if you have either wide streets or a drive - not so easy if you have neither.

It IS an issue - cars shouldn't be parked on the pavement at all, or on verges. Perhaps if it's not possible to create more drives for people to park on, we should concreete over parts of the verges to make them 'hard standing' areas for residents?

Joe

Originally posted by unners

Is there a particular reason for the Buses pulling up on to the Verge?Double parked cars for example?

If they are doing it for no reason then you should complain to the depot,or put some white painted rocks on the verge!!

We have quite a narrow road, with no off road parking. There has been a system for ages where people park on one side of the road, allowing all traffic to get past. There was never a problem and this never happened, till a year ago First decided to change the bus route to run down our road. That was a big mistake by First believe me. The two bus times often co-incide on our road, and its a nightmare - the verges look shocking and all visitors comment. They look like farmers fields after theyve been ploughed, seriously!

As for complaining, believe me, I know First all too well. Im a lawyer and have sued them on many occasions. They are the least approachable company I know, and as the verge isnt strictly my property (just right outside it) they would ignore me completely.

Time for some white painted rocks i think. :)

Guilty! I cut and edge the grass verge outside my house (and I've planted bulbs in it) I am not being territorial or attempting to annexe it as an extra garden. I'm trying to maintain my part of the street and keep it tidy.

I don't appreciate ignorant contractors and motorists ploughing up the verge that I spend hours on every year. I have therefore cemented painted bricks on the kerb and I'm not going to move them.

can kinda see both sides of this argument. I don't really think anyone is right or wrong.

Regarding parking partially onto the pavement. In my parents village it's done by everyone. The pavements are wide and you can park half off the road without stopping people getting past.

I've never heard anyone complain about it, and even the odd police car you see is parked like that.

Cars quite simply should not be parked on verges - it is nothing more than vandalism.

If someone damages their car parking illegally because they hit an ornamental part of the pavements greenery that they didn't see because they couldn't be bothered to look then it is their own stupid fault.

As for steering out of the way of emergency vehicles this is a poor excuse. The design is generally so that the grass verge is just short sections between drives, so the driver could easily pull into the hard bit at the top of the drive - they do not need to continue onto the grass (and will avoid damaging their suspension by bumping down the curb).

As far as parking half on the pavement I don't think this is so bad, as long as enough room remains on the pavement for pedestrians to pass safely (including those with wheelchairs or pushchairs).

The land that forms the verge outside homes doesn't, in most cases, belong to the householder. They aren't marking their territory, it's not their land any more than it's mine. However, it's not a crime. If the owner of the land has a problem with the rocks they would have to take it up with the householder.

However, taking the rocks and chucking them over the wall onto the householders car in protest would be a crime, and very satisfying. I imagine :hihi:

I remember that this started to happen in our village when I was a youth. I also remember the council removing them.

Although I'm not against them myself I believe the reason they where removed was if any injuries did occur they could take the council to court as it was on there land.

As an example how many times have you seen reports where somebody (usually youths) fall through a factory roof and is injured. They then claim from the company for not maintaining the roof even though they shouldn't have been there.

In regards to parking on the verges this is wrong but has other people have said it is different if you are getting out of the way of emergency vehicle.

What if you are driving down the road and a kid runs out. I don't think a plea of "I had to run over him or I would have hit these big stones" would work.

Originally posted by SlimboyFat

Although I'm not against them myself I believe the reason they where removed was if any injuries did occur they could take the council to court as it was on there land.

As an example how many times have you seen reports where somebody (usually youths) fall through a factory roof and is injured. They then claim from the company for not maintaining the roof even though they shouldn't have been there.

Believe me cases like this are a myth. Im a personal injury lawyer. They would never succeed. Its all something the papers hype up. The odd case slips through, then is corrected on appeal by the higher Courts. Same goes for the press favourite "criminal sent on holiday by courts". Media hype designed to cause a stir. Nothing else.

Believe me cases like this are a myth. Im a personal injury lawyer. They would never succeed. Its all something the papers hype up. The odd case slips through, then is corrected on appeal by the higher Courts. Same goes for the press favourite "criminal sent on holiday by courts". Media hype designed to cause a stir. Nothing else.

You may be correct, I am not in a position to know. Just stating what I have read. ??