Is this legal? : Stoning of grass verges

Maybe the passenger wasnt really a friend and just an acquaintance!

Maybe she should have sat her friend on the car bonnet seeing as she rammed the car door into the innocent rock.

Dont the rocks have rights too??

Blessed are the cheesemakers :D

Originally posted by "brg"

Perhaps some of the people who put stones on the verges are marking their territory.

Saying 'this is my land keep away' like hostile African tribes used to put their enemies heads on poles and stake them out around their borders.

I bet some of these people walk their dogs a few hundred yards along the street and leave dog mess on someone else's verge.

Or on the other hand they could just be caring people who want to keep the grass looking good.

:wink:

I suppose they could Urinate on it to mark their territory just like in the animal kingdom. :wink:

The Rocks are not allowed. If I would have damaged my car on them, I would have been fuming and would have acted accordingly. What if someone trips on one of these rocks and smashed their skull? who is liable?

Possibly the silly sod for tripping on them. Watch where they're going, thats what I say!

As for damaging your car on them, try driving on the roads and not the verges. I damaged the underside of my car purely because I did not see the verge protecting rock. I felt extremely angry to the owner of the house (who I knew). Simple fact was, I was in the wrong. I didnt look hard enough, I just assumed that it wasnt there before and therefore wouldnt be there now.

I didnt have a God given right to park my car in front of their house and the grass verge so there you go.

Dont assume that you can park there, dont assume that there might not be an obstacle in your path, lets all open our eyes a bit more.

Originally posted by "JonHarrison"

Possibly the silly sod for tripping on them. Watch where they're going, thats what I say!

As for damaging your car on them, try driving on the roads and not the verges. I damaged the underside of my car purely because I did not see the verge protecting rock. I felt extremely angry to the owner of the house (who I knew). Simple fact was, I was in the wrong. I didnt look hard enough, I just assumed that it wasnt there before and therefore wouldnt be there now.

I didnt have a God given right to park my car in front of their house and the grass verge so there you go.

Dont assume that you can park there, dont assume that there might not be an obstacle in your path, lets all open our eyes a bit more.

Hmm , this is alot easier said than done for Young Children and Old Age Pensioners. Some of the stones I have seen are at the side of the road! you stop to drop someone off, they open door to get out, smash door on stone, damaged door. These stones are simply not necessary.

I say, if the verges want to get stoned... let 'em!

There are some of these stones painted white on the grass verge outside my mother in laws house. They were there when she moved in. Who put them there, I do not know, (Perhaps the previous occupant?) but if someone was to damage their car on them, then put the stone on her car bonnet, I know she would be less than pleased, as she had nothing to do with them being there in the first place, so I think this course of action was a little unfair to say the least.

My original post mentioned lives could be at risk simply because drivers were no longer able to pull up on a verge to let the emergency vehicles pass. This could easily happen in a traffic Jam where one or more cars cannot get out of the way.

Can one be done for manslaughter for holding up vital seconds of such vehicles indirectly?

Personally I find that grass verges are useless today and that they should be dug up for car parking spaces unless there is a tree there. The street would be much tidier and safer with less cars to weave in and out of.

And far less greener. Are we not proud of being one of the greenest big cities in the UK?

Is this not a knee jerk reaction because of a rare incident?

As for the emergency vehicles, unless you deliberately stop emergency vehicles performing their duty then I cannot see how liability would attach. How could you prove whether 1 minute would save a particular life?

Originally posted by "John"

Personally I find that grass verges are useless today and that they should be dug up for car parking spaces unless there is a tree there. The street would be much tidier and safer with less cars to weave in and out of.

You're not wrong there. I lived near a grass verge on Beaver Hill Road in Woodhouse. When they changed it to a car parking lay by a few years ago it had one or two cars on it at most. Now when I go and visit my folks it is almost always full.

Drivers should not mount the kerbs with their cars, it not only makes a mess of the grass verge ( an eyesore) it is illegal and also dangerous. I know I wouldnt want anyone parking their cars on the grass verge outside my house, I would soon report them to the council.

Some folks just dont care about anyone or anything, but isnt this true in all walks of life, litter, drunkenness, noise, filth, obscene language, yobish behavior, everyone else has to conform, but they are not going to, so I say lock them up untill they do!!!

Bradford council have passed a bylaw - £30 fine for parking on pavements and grass verges.

This is what is needed in Sheffield.

Does anyone here mount two wheels on the pavements/grass verges where they live?

I always park on my drive but it is quite common on my road to mount the pavements.