Term time school holidays

She does actually go there, so I'm sure she knows more about this than you do.

Ask any ten year old what they have done at school on a particular day and the answer will be 'Nothing much'. It does not mean that they have actually done nothing much, and even less that they have learnt nothing.

Well at least that means 75% think it's their job -doesn't it?!

There is always at least 10% that 'dont know' ;)

Perhaps you should be striking about that instead ;) I does confuse things greatly, I generally support teachers/school, but not when they are wrong.

I am no longer a teacher, so I am not in a position to be striking or not striking.

'I does confuse things greatly'?? Not sure what you mean here. Typo?

I am no longer a teacher, so I am not in a position to be striking or not striking.

When its in the curriculum that schools should teach children to swim, but really it should be the parents job.

People should take more notice of AliceBB, as someone who was a teacher. At least she has first hand experience, which is more than can be some for most of the people posting on this forum. Don't swallow what you read in the press.

So now your niece is an expert in pedagogy, too? That's useful. Amazing, for a nine year old:rolleyes:

Sometimes the things you learn are not always the things you can articulate or appreciate until much later in life.

Are you an expert in pedantry? Fairyworld quite clearly mentioned the last Friday of term.

---------- Post added 25-09-2013 at 12:17 ----------

That does sound more likely, I agree.

And I did say earlier that as a general rule, less formal work is done in the last week of term (this applies less and less the older the pupil is).

But there is an argument that if you take your child out of class for the last day of the school year, they will miss out on all kinds of other, non-formal things from which they would have gained a huge amount (in terms of enjoyment, social skills, friendship, self-esteem, etc). I'm thinking of things like last day Assemblies, award-giving, saying goodbye and good luck to those who are leaving, whole school events, tidying our classroom..and yes, playing games.

All so that the parents can get an extra night's holiday?

You're trying to over sell it a little bit. They'll miss out on "tidying the classroom"... Are you saying that child labour is acceptable now in the last week of term?

---------- Post added 25-09-2013 at 12:18 ----------

Well at least that means 75% think it's their job -doesn't it?!

I don't disagree - I think the ability to swim is vital and I think that parents should be responsible for making sure their kids can do it. The trouble is that for some schools, to take all Year 2s who cannot swim, to a pool each week or fortnight until they have learnt, is enormously expensive (in time and money) and disruptive (to the rest of the school timetable). They have targets for the rest of the curriculum too, and cannot afford to spend 10% (ie a morning or afternoon) of the week ferrying the kids to and from the pool, waiting while they get changed (twice, usually very slowly) - all for about 20 mins in the water.

Yet another skill (like healthy eating, table manners, conversational skills, and in some schools, even toilet training), which it seems are now the job of teachers to impart to the next generation, rather than being the parents' role, as it used to be...

We had once a week swimming lessons 25 years ago when I was at school. It's hardly a new idea. I believe that in the last year of Junior school we took part in an LEA organised sponsored swim, I swam a mile I think.

---------- Post added 25-09-2013 at 12:19 ----------

People should take more notice of AliceBB, as someone who was a teacher. At least she has first hand experience, which is more than can be some for most of the people posting on this forum. Don't swallow what you read in the press.

We all have 1st hand experience, unless you didn't go to school?

Isn't it strange, when a parent takes their child out of school for a couple of days during term time, it has such an adverse effect upon the child's education that said parent has to be fined a substantial ammount, even if they are taking them on a trip to somewhere educational, yet when teachers strike this is not an issue.

Why are you no longer teaching in a school?

Isn't it strange, when a parent takes their child out of school for a couple of days during term time, it has such an adverse effect upon the child's education that said parent has to be fined a substantial ammount, even if they are taking them on a trip to somewhere educational, yet when teachers strike this is not an issue.

Loosing education is relevant -if parents don't want teachers to strike do something about it.

After all it's the parents that moan about the teachers,send their misbehaved violent children to school and complain they're overpaid and expect more from teachers.

A sure sign that you've lost an argument!

(And are ignorant to boot).

No argument lost here love.

You went off tangent harping on about kids abroad.

If i'm ignorant,then you are most definitely arrogant!

Answer this: Why is a childs education affected if parents take them out of school term times for a holiday.But a childs education is not affected when teachers go on strike?

What about when the thousands of troops who serve 6 month tours abroad come home having missed the school holidays,but want to take their kids away. Are they to get fines?

No excuse is required though is it. Because it happens to be convenient for the family is sufficient reason, and quite clearly on the last day of the summer term they miss nothing except messing about all day.

---------- Post added 25-09-2013 at 10:48 ----------

My post was supposed to be a little bit tongue in cheek.

I guess my point was though, that with a daughter of age 28, you are now choosing to holiday with her, you could quite happily go on holiday whenever you like and term times would be irrelevant.

It's her holiday as a teacher that is ruled by term times, but on the other hand she gets more of it than pretty much every other working adult.

For the record, I don't feel uncomfortable around my parents, but we have very different holidays and would probably be bored if we tried to holiday together.

You are correct, i could holiday anytime my employer allows but i wish to have a holiday every year with my family.

Most of my siblings and my parents won't holiday with me,they can't keep up with what i call activities which i'm sure doesn't suit everyone.

tbh most parents could holiday anytime of the year, i've just listened to a granny with a little boy discussing his parents being abroad on holiday at the moment.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/mother-tongue/9650491/Nearly-half-of-British-children-cant-swim-and-its-their-parents-fault.html

While 25 per cent of parents believe it is the responsibility of schools, and the government, to teach children to swim.

Well those parents are 100% wrong. They are YOUR children. It is YOUR responsibility to teach them or make sure they are taught by someone else.

Too many people are more than happy to let the government take over more and more of their parental reponsibilities, and it is just wrong, and terrible for society as a whole. Having children is 100% a lifestyle choice in 2013, not compulsary in any way at all. If you aren't capable of bringing them up properly, don't have 'em! If you do have 'em but aren't capable or willing to bring them up properly, expect your children to be removed from you, taken into care and for you to spend a considerable amount of the rest of your adult life behind bars!