Term time school holidays

I was just clarifying that the teachers didn't have to work more when training was introduced.

I've not noticed all those teachers concerned about childrens education going on strike to increase teaching time by stopping term time training.

Now the kids lose a week of their education which they didn't before. Great.
You are wrong. They have neither gained nor lost a week of education compared to pre-Baker days. It is the teachers who have lost a week's holiday.

If you can justify childrens education being disrupted by teachers striking or by taking a weeks training during term time then by the same reasoning their education should not be affected by a little term time holiday, should it?

Ot is it just ok for teachers to disrupt education?

I personally cannot justify it, so stop ranting.

And please understand that teachers do not 'take' a week's training during term time. They had it forced upon them by central govt. and most teachers would prefer not to have to endure it. So go and moan to the govt., not the teachers!

What everyone in favour of taking their kids out of classes also seems to be missing is that if teachers strike, any one individual child does not suffer (relative to his classmates) in terms of curriculum content not covered, compared to a child who goes on holiday when all his classmates are learning in school. After a strike the content is made up and the kids are brought up to the same standard as they would otherwise have been - it's just more work for the teachers. (Which is one of the reasons I can't see the point in striking - you end up doing the work anyway, you just don't get paid for it. But that's another issue!)

I was just clarifying that the teachers didn't have to work more when training was introduced.

Wrong. The pupils have the same amount of holidays now as they did before Baker days were introduced, the teachers have 1 week less. A teachers directed time used to state 190 days now it is 195 ( before other time can be directed ).

Edited by Joe-b-1
add on

I find the issue of school holidays so annoying. We go to Cornwall every year & have always gone on the Friday as we could take my niece out of school on the Friday . They were only playing games anyway ,so I don't get the problem . But next year , because of this stupid rule set by this stupid government , we now either have to travel overnight on the Friday , or lose nearly a day on the Saturday . Flaming stupid ! Looks like Travel Lodge is our only option , even though entertaining a 10 year old in one of them does my head in . We don't sleep properly because of noise which goes on most of night . Its not fair on my niece because there is only so much you can do to keep her entertained . We were actually traveling down on the Friday & staying in Cornwall at our favourite B&B so we were there & able to go out & about until we were able to go in the caravan & I NOW WE CANT !!!! :mad:

"they were only playing games"---is it surprising our children are the most obese in Europe?

If you collected Angela from school at 3pm you could drive down that evening in daylight.

You are wrong. They have neither gained nor lost a week of education compared to pre-Baker days. It is the teachers who have lost a week's holiday.

I personally cannot justify it, so stop ranting.

And please understand that teachers do not 'take' a week's training during term time. They had it forced upon them by central govt. and most teachers would prefer not to have to endure it. So go and moan to the govt., not the teachers!

What everyone in favour of taking their kids out of classes also seems to be missing is that if teachers strike, any one individual child does not suffer (relative to his classmates) in terms of curriculum content not covered, compared to a child who goes on holiday when all his classmates are learning in school. After a strike the content is made up and the kids are brought up to the same standard as they would otherwise have been - it's just more work for the teachers. (Which is one of the reasons I can't see the point in striking - you end up doing the work anyway, you just don't get paid for it. But that's another issue!)

What those dictating and defending that school term holidays should not be allowed seem to be missing is that, unlike teachers, alot of parents only get five weeks holidays a year, not thirteen, and have to negotiate with employers and fellow employees when these are to be taken in order to minimise disruption.

Whilst schools mostly closing for the same thirteen weeks each doesn't have a big impact on society at large, imagine if say supermarkets all closed the same five weeks or the police force/fire service all took the same five weeks holidays?

It doen't happen - and you would not expect it to happen - the employers and employees have to be flexible with time off to ensure sufficient staff are available at all times to enable a consistent and effective service is provided.

Sometimes in order to cope with this flexibility holidays outside of term times will have to be taken yet such parents could be treated as criminals and fined.