Term time school holidays

Technically they get no holidays (and can't actually believe I'm posting this)

they are employed for 195 days a year. The children get the holidays the teachers are not contracted.

I'm not sure you can say they are lucky either, you and I (and them) all know what your average teacher; has to do, has to go through and what they get in return. Luck isn't involved really.

Technically this is not true for permanent salaried teachers. They are not unemployed for 13 weeks a year, they are still paid on a monthly basis throughout even the long summer holiday.

---------- Post added 26-09-2013 at 07:33 ----------

They did.

A week of the holidays was changed into training days. You can check the statute if you like. It is clear in there.

Link then please and I'll happily take a look.

As I understand it at the moment it was a week of teaching time that was converted. The children gained a week off, nothing changed for the teachers.

That's why baker days don't involve teachers going in on the 1st monday of a holiday, but instead the kids finish on the Thursday and get a week and a day off (or normal duration + 1 day, depending on which holiday).

---------- Post added 26-09-2013 at 07:36 ----------

Wrong. The pupils have the same amount of holidays now as they did before Baker days were introduced, the teachers have 1 week less. A teachers directed time used to state 190 days now it is 195 ( before other time can be directed ).

There do seem to be a number of people telling me I'm wrong, so I will have a look at the legislation and change my opinion if you can link it for me.

That's why baker days don't involve teachers going in on the 1st monday of a holiday, but instead the kids finish on the Thursday and get a week and a day off (or normal duration + 1 day, depending on which holiday)..

No, that's just the way the Head and governors have decided to allocate the 5 extra days. They can be taken all in one week, individually through the school year, or some of them can be 'disaggregated' and done in clumps of 4 hours or so after the normal teaching day.

It still adds up to 5 days which have been deducted from teachers' annual leave.

---------- Post added 26-09-2013 at 08:13 ----------

What a very wise woman you are.

Can I steal this sentence and claim it as my own please ?:)

Feel free!

There are days when it feels as though this forums consists of little else! It's like reading the Daily Wail.

Edited by aliceBB

Link then please and I'll happily take a look.

As I understand it at the moment it was a week of teaching time that was converted. The children gained a week off, nothing changed for the teachers.

I don't think that I've ever used this site before, but that is such a lazy response that I think I'm justified.

Then 'A' levels, then a degree, then a teaching qualification................- nah, I thought not !

---------- Post added 25-09-2013 at 22:14 ----------

You really need to do some research into teaching and then you wouldn't show yourself up by writing such tripe tbh.

It's very clear that you have very little idea about teaching or what it entails.

Do you actually have to fight to get annual leave ?

What ward do you work on ? Your ward manager needs get to get a grip I think:o

Regards.

I agree. Most people have very little clue about most occupations which they (or a close relative) have never actually done.

Getting the academic qualifications which allow you to train as a teacher in the first place is one thing (and many Sun/Daily Mail readers -the kind who whinge loudest about teachers having it easy - would fail the literacy test). Actually planning, delivering and evaluating a lesson for 30 odd students of varying abilities and attitudes, is another. Doing that for five or six different lessons each day, five days a week, is yet another. Enthusing 30 teenagers who may or may not want to be there, without resorting to shouting or rudeness (even in the face of theirs) is yet another.

And that's just the teaching! You really don't want to know about all the other admin. aad pastoral stuff which gets heaped upon teachers.

Watch 'Educating Yorkshire' (filmed in Dewsbury a not untypical secondary school) and ask yourself honestly whether you would be up to the job.

I would like to see some people try!

Edited by aliceBB

Boro B would struggle with his communication skills,and an inability to disguise resentment and envy.

Correct. I guess the education system failed me.:)

---------- Post added 26-09-2013 at 09:03 ----------

I was just correcting an incorrect statement and as you have made one I will correct that also. It is not thirteen weeks plus bank holidays as the bank holidays are included in the thirteen weeks. Teachers don't get paid for strike days anyway. Decisions to send pupils home are not made by teachers.

Apologies for my error. May Day is not included in the thirteen weeks though.:)

I don't think that I've ever used this site before, but that is such a lazy response that I think I'm justified.

I have. But I'll click it anyway to see if any of the links are actually useful.

You do understand that in a discussion it's down to you to show that assertions are true, not for me to google for the evidence? Maybe they didn't teach debate at your school?

(To be fair, I made an assertion first, you could have asked me to prove it, but you didn't :P )

I have. But I'll click it anyway to see if any of the links are actually useful.

You do understand that in a discussion it's down to you to show that assertions are true, not for me to google for the evidence? Maybe they didn't teach debate at your school?

(To be fair, I made an assertion first, you could have asked me to prove it, but you didn't :P )

You need to look at it from another angle.

Before the "Baker" changes, schools had to provide 380 teaching sessions per year (190 days).

After the "Baker" changes, schools still had to provide 380 sessions.

Nothing changed from that aspect.

Prior to INSET days, teachers were 'expected' to use part of the school 'holidays' for training purposes.

Because the contractual requirement was vague (so some teachers would not attend training organised for them in the 'holidays'), the public perception of teachers doing nothing in the holidays and the Government wanting something in return for a pay-rise that was being demanded ... the training aspect of the job was brought out into 'term-time' and became a contractual requirement.

Total teaching days have not changed.

It is. Why don't you have a go?

Thank you for the careers advice.:)

I already have two jobs, both of which I enjoy doing.

My doctor has also told me that I need to reduce my alchol intake, not increase it so unfortunately teaching is a no-no for me.

Some teachers are obviously not happy with their lot otherwise they would not be downing tools next week and in my eyes letting down their pupils.

I can not understand why some people persist with a career that makes them so unhappy.

Can you enlighten me?

Some teachers are obviously not happy with their lot otherwise they would not be downing tools next week and in my eyes letting down their pupils.

I can not understand why some people persist with a career that makes them so unhappy.

Can you enlighten me?

Naive question, really. By taking industrial action they are hoping (probably futilely) to change the govt's very unfair policy on their pensions.

They stay in teaching partly because it provides a salary which pays the rent/mortgage and buys food. After all, it's hardly the case that there are lots of other situations vacant in professional jobs available for them to do, is it? Nobody wants to be living in a cardboard box. Plus, they find some (if not all) aspects of it fulfilling. It is still a vocation for some. It doesn't mean you have to think it's ALL great, when it's not.

Why else do people stay in jobs which aren't ideal?