Term time school holidays

Is this a question or a flippant statement?

It's a question.

Care to answer it?

When else are children likely to be taken out for a week for a holiday then?

Easter to hit the slopes? Seems unlikely although possible. Start of Autumn term, possible, but again unlikely. Xmas?

Irresponsible parents take their kids out of school at any time of the school year that it suits them and not always at the end of the summer term by any means. It's usually when package holidays in hot places are cheapest. Some of them even add on a couple of schooldays off for 'holiday shopping' and I have even known one family add the day before departure for 'packing to go on holiday'. It's a joke (like the parents).

Erm... I'd keep quiet about that if I were you.

Why? I have nothing to be embarrassed about. If you are implying that you/most people on this forum despise teachers, then that says more about them than about teachers, and frankly I couldn't care less!

People who continually denigrate the efforts and acheivements of teachers generally are often the ones who were the biggest pains at at school, who did the least work and expected the teachers to perform some kind of miracle on them.

As in any profession, there are some excellent ones and some not very good ones. But believe me, they are not miracle workers and parents are far more important than teachers in shaping a kid's future success. If the parents are not giving the kids the same uncomromising messages about responsibility and learning as the teachers are, it will be the parents who have wrecked that kid's chances, not the teachers.

Edited by aliceBB

Irresponsible parents take their kids out of school at any time of the school year that it suits them and not always at the end of the summer term by any means. It's usually when package holidays in hot places are cheapest. Some of them even add on a couple of schooldays off for 'holiday shopping' and I have even known one family add the day before departure for 'packing to go on holiday'. It's a joke (like the parents).

It appears that you are the only one on this thread with any common sense.

When you make the huge decision to bring children into the world it means that some sacrifices have to be made and this means not having holidays abroad in the time when your children are receiving their education.

Edited by Daven

It's a question.

Care to answer it?

If it was supposed to be a question, the correct punctuation would have helped.

I suppose that was your teacher's fault, rather than yours?!:rolleyes:

It appears that you are the only one on this thread with any common sense.

When you make the huge decision to bring children into the world it means that some sacrifices have to be made and this means not having holidays abroad in the time when your children are receiving their education.

Haha!

No holidays abroad?

Haha!

No holidays abroad?

Holidays abroad when your children are on holiday from their education.

It's really quite simple.:)

If it was supposed to be a question, the correct punctuation would have helped.

I suppose that was your teacher's fault, rather than yours?!:rolleyes:

Just a bit lazy today. Short and sweet via android.

I wont bother picking faults out of your grammar.

Anyhow.. I do hope you are retired and not posting via school. Tut tut!

It appears that you are the only one with any common sense on this thread.

Thank you, Daven!

I agree totally about the sacrifices.

And when you talk to kids who've been away on holiday in term time, they say that although they enjoyed the holiday, they find it extremely stressful coming back into classes having missed a whole chunk of work in every subject. They get the sense that the world has carried on turning even though they got off for a while. They discover that not only have they missed the work for the lessons they were away, but the rest of that topic/unit in each subject is also harder to get their heads round (as it's based on/follows on from the lessons they missed).

If parents allow their kids to truant, they get hauled up before a judge - what's the difference?

Edited by aliceBB

Holidays abroad when your children are on holiday from their education.

It's really quite simple.:)

School holidays should be shorter.

Outdated system and change is needed.

Edited by GLASGOWOODS

Thank you, Daven!

I agree totally about the sacrifices.

And when you talk to kids who've been away on holiday in term time, they say that although they enjoyed the holiday, they find it extremely stressful coming back into classes having missed a whole chunk of work in every subject. They get the sense that the world has carried on turning even though they got off for a while. They discover that not only have they missed the work for the lessons they were away, but the rest of that topic/unit in each subject is also harder to get their heads round (as it's based on/follows on from the lessons they missed).

If parents allow their kids to truant they get hauled up before a judge - what's the difference?

They have a lovely tan ???????????:hihi:

Problem is that many parents are selfish and really don't care that their children are missing chunks of their education -they must have their holiday in the sun.

---------- Post added 24-09-2013 at 11:54 ----------

Not according to your last post it aint.

Yes it is.

Do keep up:)

Just a bit lazy today. Short and sweet via android.

I wont bother picking faults out of your grammar.

I would like to see you try! I think you'll find that what I post is grammatically unfaultable. Stop blaming the technology you use for the errors you make.

Anyhow.. I do hope you are retired and not posting via school. Tut tut!

Er...thank you for your concern, but no, I did say that I was a teacher. I still love teaching, although not all the uneducational nonsense associated with it (endless initiatives involving objectives and spreadsheets). Three years ago I decided to start my own business instead, so now my time is my own. Bliss!

---------- Post added 24-09-2013 at 11:57 ----------

School holidays should be shorter.

Outdated system and change is needed.

What has that got to do with the price of fish?

It wouldn't solve the problem, anyway. If school holidays were shorter, even more parents would take their kids out during term time.

Edited by aliceBB

I would like to see you try! I think you'll find that what I post is grammatically unfaultable. Stop blaming the technology you use for the errors you make.

Er...thank you for your concern, but no, I did say that I was a teacher. I still love teaching, although not all the uneducational nonsense associated with it (endless initiatives involving objectives and spreadsheets). Three years ago I decided to start my own business instead, so now my time is my own. Bliss!

---------- Post added 24-09-2013 at 11:57 ----------

What has that got to do with the price of fish?

Simply because teachers get too many holidays and still whinge.

Was it just before last xmas, or the year before when teachers decided to strike?

Were they on the picket lines? Nope..They were in the shopping malls.

This did not go down too well with the general public.

Fighting for their rights? Yeah sure.More like fighting to get xmas wrapped up early.

You lot cause havoc and a lot of extra expense for the majority.

Poor teachers! Get a grip..It's not like ya down the pit 12 hours a day..

Edited by esme
Quote tags