They're back..September is SPIDER month

I don't know the names of the spiders here, I do know there are two that still startle me each time I see them knocking about because you don't get them in the Netherlands.

One is what I think is known as the giant house spider, on a site I found it says it is 120 mm, that might be after it is squished, whatever it is, it is the largest spider type I've ever seen and they *for some absurd reason* like running across our carpet in the living room. The other day I had one stop in front of my foot, I lifted my foot, it carried on, straight under the sofa. I thought, fine stay there. Ten minutes later I got up to go to the loo and I noticed something crawling on my jumper... not amused (and I am not scared of them).

The other is a spider I have only recently spotted for the first time, it is about the size of a cross spider (that is what we call them, the big bodied spider with a cross on their back) and built similarly, but with white stripes on its back instead of a cross. It was in my sink and then jumped out. The dog chased it and it jumped again, as I didn't like it jumping I had to dispatch it with a towel.

Exciting times, certainly beats having to fight of alligators.

Its been a good year for earwigs,been scarce for a good few years but making a comeback.

Well I hope they stay scarce at my abode:gag:

Its been a good year for earwigs,been scarce for a good few years but making a comeback.

That's an understatement. I did a job in a marquee and by the time I shook them all off my stuff the floor was covered in them. Never seen so many.

Well cheers mel, you've just inadvertently introduced the arachnid to a cocktail of chemicals which will see it return as Sheffield's version of Spiderman..Peter Parkhill :rant:

Oh god - he's breeding mutant spiders. Thanks for that thought BF.

Oh god - he's breeding mutant spiders. Thanks for that thought BF.

Now I know why he goads me every year about my spider-fear, he's transforming them from his subterranean laboratory! :cry::wow::cry:

Underwear drawers normally, or the back of the fridge. :)

That type of spider does not come into the house, I am very pleased to say.

I had a spider in my house the other night, just hanging around, said his name was Anthony. I didn't see him at first on the ceiling as I was busy ironing my pencil case, anyway, I jumped out of my skin when I first saw him, he was massive, big burly looking bloke, tattoos on all eight arms. We got talking and he was actually a pretty decent chap, appearances can be deceptive. He said he used to live in Leeds but moved here a few month back when he got made redundant. We had a slice of toast then we said our goodbyes and he left, must of been about 8.35pm ish. Nice guy. If he's on here reading this all the best mate, keep in touch.

Okay, I'm bringing this thread back! We normally get a few big, hairy spiders in the house at this time of year but the thing that was perched on our stairs last night was like nothing I've ever seen before!

After I blurted out some expletives, my Hubby (a.k.a the spider catcher) came for a look, then walked away...I asked where he thought he was going and he came back a minute later with his phone to take a picture! It was ENORMOUS!!

Anyone had any monster spiders lurking?

Only yesterday my cat caught a huge spider, and a few days before that too they have started to appear, my Amazon spider catcher at the ready I am waiting for you (that's if the cat doesn't beat me to it!)

I hate September, the end of summer and Spiders :sad:

Yes they are back-and they are in my shed. An enormous one ran right across my hand whilst I was sorting out some tools.

Can I have a loan of the pussy cat ? (only kidding)

---------- Post added 11-09-2015 at 13:07 ----------

I had a spider in my house the other night, just hanging around, said his name was Anthony. I didn't see him at first on the ceiling as I was busy ironing my pencil case, anyway, I jumped out of my skin when I first saw him, he was massive, big burly looking bloke, tattoos on all eight arms. We got talking and he was actually a pretty decent chap, appearances can be deceptive. He said he used to live in Leeds but moved here a few month back when he got made redundant. We had a slice of toast then we said our goodbyes and he left, must of been about 8.35pm ish. Nice guy. If he's on here reading this all the best mate, keep in touch.

How do you sex a spider ? Are you sure he was a blokey type spider ? Tattoos are not a give away to gender. I mean loads of females have tattoos . Some female bodybuilder -you know what I mean. So body size isn't a dead giveaway .

damn thought now was the time they were abating, im semi drunk and still had to forcefully evict TWO spiders in 5 minutes Oo

semi drunk but faster than the little dark brown blighters

Okay, I'm bringing this thread back! We normally get a few big, hairy spiders in the house at this time of year but the thing that was perched on our stairs last night was like nothing I've ever seen before!

After I blurted out some expletives, my Hubby (a.k.a the spider catcher) came for a look, then walked away...I asked where he thought he was going and he came back a minute later with his phone to take a picture! It was ENORMOUS!!

Anyone had any monster spiders lurking?

Yep, had one in the kitchen an its legs must have spanned at least 3".

My old natural history teacher at school told me that a normal person in their lifetime will swallow at least 3 spiders while they sleep:gag:

Personally, I love spiders, brilliant engineers, they kill flies and dust mites, hard as nails(flick one onto the floor of a table or worktop, they just get up and walk away), as far as I know British spiders don't carry disease.

What's not to like:love:

Grown men and women afraid of spiders, answer me this what would you rather be chased by, a spider or an Alsatian. no contest is there?