Feminism or Misandry?

The issue is all about feelings, it's clearly not about rational though, which would be the other possibility.

For goodness’ sake. Feelings are a form of reason. They are brought about by the experiences that accumulate in your brain. Whenever you are being emotional, you are being so because your brain deems it the most logical thing to do at that moment.

For the record: I have never claimed to dislike women. I am arguing because that is the proper thing to do in a discussion; it says nothing about me as a person. In my personal opinion, women can do as they please and stop bothering me about it. But perhaps I am just the only asexual person on the forum.

But perhaps I am just the only asexual person on the forum.

That is the part that is very interesting; because we all have different feelings. It still surprises me that I have turned 50 and still want to be with a woman. Regardless of what some have done to me in the past.

For goodness’ sake. Feelings are a form of reason.

No, they really aren't.

They are brought about by the experiences that accumulate in your brain.

Yes, but that doesn't make them subject to logic.

Whenever you are being emotional, you are being so because your brain deems it the most logical thing to do at that moment.

This just demonstrates a fundamental misunderstanding of the biology of the brain and how consciousness and other mental phenomenon arise.

The brain is not a logic machine.

For the record: I have never claimed to dislike women. I am arguing because that is the proper thing to do in a discussion; it says nothing about me as a person.

You are expressing an opinion. It says a lot about you.

In my personal opinion, women can do as they please and stop bothering me about it. But perhaps I am just the only asexual person on the forum.

Assuming that you're telling the truth, perhaps you are.

What I can't understand about women is the constant bickering ! you know what I mean " oh she's here mutton dressed as lamb" or "as tha seen state of her hair or washing etc" and then when they meet up its as though they are each others best pal ever,

This two faced carry on drives me daft and blokes just don,t do it as they are mostly interested in what time the tea will be ready or if their shirt has been ironed so as they will look smart down at the club as they chat up the latest bar maid.

Edited by cuttsie

No, they really aren't.

‘Reason’ is the very mind itself. No mental state can exist outside the mind, i.e. outside reason. What we call a ‘feeling’ is a product of the mind, which is synonymous with reason. If a goldfish is afraid, it has reason.

Yes, but that doesn't make them subject to logic.

Everything in the entire universe is subject to logic. Everything which exists does so in time and space, and by consequence is subject to the universal laws of physics. This includes thoughts, which are combinations of proteins and enzymes. The mind is a tangible, physical ‘thing’. Illogical equals non-existent.

This just demonstrates a fundamental misunderstanding of the biology of the brain and how consciousness and other mental phenomenon arise.

The brain is not a logic machine.

Wait, wait, wait. We are not talking about the same thing here. ‘Machine’ is not an appropriate metaphor; that would hark back to Leibniz’ vision of there being a ‘clock’ or engine in life that somehow makes it animate. That is not at all what I mean; one should use Ockham’s razor and discard all unnecessary entities, the first of which is the existence of a mind outside of logic. What you call consciousness is, as mentioned above, really a physical process and hence logical. Any feeling that you have will be altered by altering the structure of the brain, for instance by cutting out a bit.

If part of your identity is, for example, having learnt Russian, then cutting out a bit of your left hemisphere (near the parietal lobe) will by definition change your identity, in that you would no longer be able to speak Russian. That is what I mean. People can defend their views of consciousness and mental states as much as they like, but these are very real phenomena (the plural of phenomenon) and cannot escape logic and reason.

Instincts, intuitions, urges, fears: these do not exist outside of physical reality. And that is exactly what makes them real.

You are expressing an opinion. It says a lot about you.

It needn’t. ‘Eristic philosophy’ in Schopenhauer’s terms defines arguing for the sake of arguing; arguing is a game that has no intrinsic bearing on truth or intuitions. It used to be called ‘Rabulistik’ in German, before Goebbels soiled the word. I could be arguing that gravity is a fiction if it helped my argument. You should never confuse debates with what people actually think. This is how lawyers make a living.

Assuming that you're telling the truth, perhaps you are.

I should be surprised to be the only one on here who has little interest in sex. On the other hand, it wouldn’t matter.

Reason is a process of the mind, not the entirety of it.

You are conflating the physical process of how the mind arises with the action of thinking. The process of thinking obviously happens in accordance with the laws of physics, but that doesn't somehow mean that all thought is logical.

The emergence of consciousness is logical, but that doesn't imply that all thoughts had by a consciousness are logical. It is possible to incorrectly apply logic, or to not apply it all. The fact that the substrate that is thinking is obeying the physical laws of the universe does not mean all thoughts, decisions or actions are logical ones.

Emotions do not exist outside the laws of physics, but they are not rational within the context of rational thought and decision making.

I don't believe that the argument you were making regarding women is not the actual opinion you hold.

Good points, OP.

Many women haven't a damned clue what feminism is or how to interpret it....just that they want the odds stacked in favour of women. Much social media is geared around sexism against males.

That is hardly equality.

On what evidence do you base this assertion?

Can you provide any examples of things which feminists have called for which amount to stacking the odds in their favour?

On what evidence do you base this assertion?

Can you provide any examples of things which feminists have called for which amount to stacking the odds in their favour?

Called for or not Halibut, the "odds" ARE heavily stacked in the favour of women. Most men don't even see it.