Do we really need all the 'stuff' we have in life?

I agree in general with the O.P.

To a great extent I think the pursuit of possessions is a subjective matter. However ! Maybe we can judge the matter by the apparent effect it has on people ?

Many people seem to rush around all the time, earning and spending pots of money, never relax, on edge, always looking angry, no time for the things they buy [ ! ]........etc.......etc....

Others seem relaxed, pleasant, have time for family and friends and look as if they 're enjoying life. These always seem to be the type who don 't give a hoot for the latest car or the ' in ' things on our ' happy, little Jerusalem '.

When they 're all ready to 'pass on ', I wonder how many from each group will be able to look back on their lives and say, honestly, " Well, I really enjoyed that . " ?

I suspect that you're just projecting, or possibly a little envious.

There are people who behave as you describe, but equally there are those who have a lot without having to rush around being angry and having no time for friends... They can have the latest car, and still have friends and lots of leisure time, where do they fit into your tableau?

My best pal in the RN, born in Manchester and married to a girl from Falmouth served his 22 years and retired as a CPO. The navy financed a house in Falmouth with a no interest loan as it would for any senior NCO who needed one. He turned it into a B and B for tourists in the summer or for students at other times. The live very well and comfortably in a town I've always liked.

Get rid of the television, swap the smartphone for a simple text and call handset, and give the multinationals, the multiple retailers and the big brands a miss - you will be happier and so will your local independent coffee house, the greengrocer on the corner, the artisan cheesemonger in the market, and the local theatre will see so much more of you too - live drama rather than a bland diet of celebrity guff and endless advertising.

And when people ask you what you do without the telly?, ask them how they can possibly find the time to watch the mind-numbing thing?

Oh, and your sitting room looks so much more spacious without a screen dominating the space and dictating the furniture orientation.

And real conversation is so much more invigorating than being spoken at from the talking heads.

You save on the TV licence fees, you can get a great text and call deal for a fraction of the cost of a smartphone appfest. Real food often works out cheaper than the processed carbohydrates that the supermarkets peddle...

What's not to like?

The food you buy isn't related to whether you chose to watch a TV or not, there's no reason to watch any advertising these days, and to characterise every single TV program and series as mind numbing probably says more about you than what's actually available.

My TV is often not turned on from one day to the next, but there are things that I enjoy watching and the tone of your post is hardly likely to convince anyone that your way is better.

The food you buy isn't related to whether you chose to watch a TV or not, there's no reason to watch any advertising these days, and to characterise every single TV program and series as mind numbing probably says more about you than what's actually available.

My TV is often not turned on from one day to the next, but there are things that I enjoy watching and the tone of your post is hardly likely to convince anyone that your way is better.

Someone's in a bad mood!

Having just moved house and realised the amount of 'stuff' I've got, I'm sure I don't need most of it, but like Anna B, I have trouble throwing things away!

For example, I haven't played badminton for years, but I've still got the raquet.

I don't get a lot of time for knitting, do I need three big boxes of yarns? :)

It'll all come in useful in the end...

Having just moved house and realised the amount of 'stuff' I've got, I'm sure I don't need most of it, but like Anna B, I have trouble throwing things away!

For example, I haven't played badminton for years, but I've still got the raquet.

I don't get a lot of time for knitting, do I need three big boxes of yarns? :)

It'll all come in useful in the end...

I told my daughter the other week, that when I retire I will buy a motor-home and live in it. It would be much cheaper, and easier to keep tidy.

All these posessions that are making my house a mess, I dont 'need' them.

I am not sure if I will be brave enough to acually do it, but the idea has been in my mind for over 30 years.

I think it's interesting that people are judged by the stuff they have. We all do it.

But some successful people with all the trappings of wealth are truly awful. (It often takes varying degrees of ruthlessness to succeed)

Not all nasty people are wealthy, or vice versa but I'd still like to see people regarded for who they are rather than what they've got.

I'm over run:huh:

I think it's interesting that people are judged by the stuff they have. We all do it.

But some successful people with all the trappings of wealth are truly awful. (It often takes varying degrees of ruthlessness to succeed)

Not all nasty people are wealthy, or vice versa but I'd still like to see people regarded for who they are rather than what they've got.

I sincerely hope that's not true!

I had a Vauxhall Viva once.

How the hell am I ever going to live that down?:huh:

Flawed premise; the couple have business and are coining it in, ripping off everyone who requires a 3p cup of tea that costs £1.

Alternative lifestyle? Try losing the phone and switch off the TV - FOLLOWED BY THIS LAPT...............