Anyone see that star article " stealing to survive " ?

Someone dropped off the star yesterday which I think was Fridays copy. It had 10 pictures on the front of sheffielders on the rob from shops with the banner STEALING TO SURVIVE.

The build up was set to feel like these people were stealing beans , milk bread etc..... You know the type of thing.

When you read the actual page ( which was page 8 I recall ) and saw the " stealing to survive " the things they were stealing was , beer, engine oil ,wine, fags ...... Engine oil ! Engine oil !!

Thought the story was about how hard up some people were and not enough and almost starving !! Not a single one of the reported shoplifting crimes " to survive " involved food stuff, only stuff like booze ,fags and engine oil twice !

all sellable items turning goods in to cash to buy food :hihi:

Are you saying engine oil and fags aren't necessities ? :suspect:

I work in retail security and can safely say that 99% of shoplifters I catch do not do it to survive, most do it for the thrill, or because they think they will get away with it.

A few weeks ago I caught a middle class lady about 60yrs old, she had stolen loads of meat, claimed she was desperate and did it for her homeless grand daughter. Personally I don't think her grand daughter needed nearly 100 pound worth of top of the range fillet steaks.

The stars article is a load of tosh.

Someone dropped off the star yesterday which I think was Fridays copy. It had 10 pictures on the front of sheffielders on the rob from shops with the banner STEALING TO SURVIVE.

The build up was set to feel like these people were stealing beans , milk bread etc..... You know the type of thing.

When you read the actual page ( which was page 8 I recall ) and saw the " stealing to survive " the things they were stealing was , beer, engine oil ,wine, fags ...... Engine oil ! Engine oil !!

Thought the story was about how hard up some people were and not enough and almost starving !! Not a single one of the reported shoplifting crimes " to survive " involved food stuff, only stuff like booze ,fags and engine oil twice !

article should have read....stealing to fund drug habit....after selling on the goodies....

Stealing to survive.

Load of BULL

That's exactly what I thought when I read the article....Talk about sensationalism.

Regards

Doom

Personally I don't think her grand daughter needed nearly 100 pound worth of top of the range fillet steaks.

Unless she's a middle-class homeless drug addict.

I saw it, but Istill don't get the point of the headline, I thought there was going to be tales of woes inside from young mums describing how they are having to resort to stealing jars of baby food from boots in order to feed their baby....alas, it was a list of recently stolen items in Sheffield and as mentioned that included engine oil. Very very few people steal to survive so the headline was ridiculous.

I was in Asda on't cross two weeks back when the security gave chase to some bloke who'd just walked through the checkouts with a trolley full of goods. They brought the trolley back to the checkouts & scanned the items to total how much he'd attempted to steal.

There was around 10 four packs of 1664 lager, three frozen lamb legs & 2 loafs of crustybread. It totalled £74

The booze wasn't for his consumption, if it was he would've taken 1 or 2 crates rather than 10 four packs. He'd obviously stolen them to sell on. If he needed to survive he would've walked out with a trolley full of food.

I saw it, but Istill don't get the point of the headline, I thought there was going to be tales of woes inside from young mums describing how they are having to resort to stealing jars of baby food from boots in order to feed their baby....alas, it was a list of recently stolen items in Sheffield and as mentioned that included engine oil. Very very few people steal to survive so the headline was ridiculous.

I was in Asda on't cross two weeks back when the security gave chase to some bloke who'd just walked through the checkouts with a trolley full of goods. They brought the trolley back to the checkouts & scanned the items to total how much he'd attempted to steal.

There was around 10 four packs of 1664 lager, three frozen lamb legs & 2 loafs of crustybread. It totalled £74

The booze wasn't for his consumption, if it was he would've taken 1 or 2 crates rather than 10 four packs. He'd obviously stolen them to sell on. If he needed to survive he would've walked out with a trolley full of food.

I bet he was running directly to the parson cross hotel ;)

Stealing to survive.

Load of BULL

Not lifting tesco beef burgers then -No bull

I often wonder what people do that have their benefits sanctioned, I was reading a blog a few weeks back that said that 700,000 claimants had been sanctioned this year:o

Unfortunately I cant find the blog again to post the url, but I managed to find some official stats that go some way to support the statement.

http://statistics.dwp.gov.uk/asd/PQ_FOI/PQ/2013/146919fr.pdf

Are these people really left to steal or starve? sounds like a recipe for trouble to me - does anyone know?