Death threats against topless teenager.

Do I what? Stay on topic? Yes, absolutely. If you want to discuss women slighted the world over for their opinion, start a thread. If you want to doscuss the case of Amina in this thread, I'm all eyes and keyboard/touchpad.

:)

I have stayed on topic. I've pointed out that this case isn't an isolated one and that the death threats she has received are not limited to women making feminist statements in Muslim countries. I've given examples of other women receiving death threats and a link to an in-depth profile of the radical feminist group that Amina is linked to.

If you really think it's either possible or preferable to discuss her case in isolation then you're of course fully free to report me for being off topic. But it seems to me that any discussion of a woman receiving death threat for a feminist statement is incomplete at best without an acknowledgement that this is part of a global problem of violence and the threat of violence against women.

Also, since I'm here: 'slighted'? Receiving death threats is being slighted? Threatening women with violence is slighting them? Wow.

But she's not showing off her lower half. And yes, there is a big difference.

Both can be titillating (no pun intended)

African women have shown their boobs for centuries and men have become hardened to it - well they don't jump on them as far as I know

I suppose one can get used to anything - personally male nudity is a no-no for me, my mother always said women have beautiful bodies and male bodies were er ugly:hihi:

I have stayed on topic. I've pointed out that this case isn't an isolated one and that the death threats she has received are not limited to women making feminist statements in Muslim countries. I've given examples of other women receiving death threats and a link to an in-depth profile of the radical feminist group that Amina is linked to.

If you really think it's either possible or preferable to discuss her case in isolation then you're of course fully free to report me for being off topic. But it seems to me that any discussion of a woman receiving death threat for a feminist statement is incomplete at best without an acknowledgement that this is part of a global problem of violence and the threat of violence against women.

Also, since I'm here: 'slighted'? Receiving death threats is being slighted? Threatening women with violence is slighting them? Wow.

I agree, it is generally not a bad thing to historicise and contextualise.

If she was a muslim than it could be understood she may feel that she is lacking the freedom to get them out but as she is a non muslim the protest seems like just another stunt by a certain group to suit their own agenda.

As I understand it, describing it as a 'stunt by a certain group to suit their own agenda' is pretty accurate. I understand Amina is a member of FEMEN and her actions were deliberate in the sense that she wished to make the statement that her body is her own and should not be the subject of someone elses honour.

I don't think she is protesting about her lack of freedom to get them out, but the issues above. However, the two are linked, aren't they? If it's her body to do what she wants with, then that includes displaying her breasts if she chooses.

If you did a secret survey do you think there would be a load of muslim women all dying to get them out but restrained from doing so?

I would not like to second guess percentages but I would hazard a guess that the actual percentage of women, muslin or non-muslim, who would like to show their breasts on the internet or elsewhere would be very low. However, if the question in a secret survey was, 'do you feel that you should be the person who decides what you should wear or not without fear for your life?', or, 'do you feel a woman should live in fear of being raped and then punished for being raped?', or 'do you feel that a woman should be disfigured for not wanting to enter a relationship with someone?' then I think the percentage would be considerably higher and I think Amina and the rest of FENEM are raising these issues. In a sense, they are doing it with much success, as we are discussing this now. We may not all think their methods are the most appropriate but they are forcing the issues.

Muslims are very conservative people and modesty is a big part of our culture, stop trying to impose your beliefs onto others.

Modesty is an aspect of most religions. People should have respect for the personal beliefs of others. In our times though, people should have real effective choice to choose a religion or not, and no one should be facing death threats for exercising their human rights, male or female.

I don't feel I'm getting stick, I know how it works on here

Good, I'm sincerely glad to read that.

---------- Post added 23-03-2013 at 20:39 ----------

Both can be titillating (no pun intended)

African women have shown their boobs for centuries and men have become hardened to it

Will they ever stop coming? :hihi:

Considering your consistently pro-muslim/muslim-apologist stance on SF (in comparable topics), I really don't think you are in any position to hand out such advice, tbh.

How about some replies to the slightly more involved questions that have been put your way, now?

To be fair to Mafya he is a Muslim and therefore wouldnt come under the heading of muslim apologist,and his consistently pro muslim stance,as you put it ,is surely his right.

If she was a muslim than it could be understood she may feel that she is lacking the freedom to get them out but as she is a non muslim the protest seems like just another stunt by a certain group to suit their own agenda.

This doesn't make sense.

If she is not a muslim, she may feel she lacks the freedom to get them out? She does lack the freedom. She's "got them out" and people are calling for her to be murdered. She distinctly lacks the freedom. Stunt or no stunt, she's not hurting anyone else.

stop trying to impose your beliefs onto others.

We share the same aim. Yaaay. :)

It's called modesty.

What's immodest about taking one's top off? Is it something shameful?

---

How would we women like it if men walked about exposing themselves?

'Exposing oneself' is a very loaded term. It implies something sexual, an element of the flasher about it - a sexual deviant.

Is it wrong for a man to wear no clothes? There's nothing sexual about nudity.

(Men - if they really think about sex for a lot of the day, it's because they are more aware of their parts - being on the outside so to speak, whilst ours are tucked away)

Men have their sexual organs exterior to the rest of their body because it requires a greater control of temperature. They need to be cooler than the rest of the body, but not exposed to becoming too cold.

We think about sex because that is the way we have evolved. It's correlation, not causation.

I have stayed on topic.
I don't believe so.

You have used this topic to shoehorn a broader feminist argument, with your first post.

I don't have a problem with feminism at all, but I believe the way you barged in with your further examples is misplaced in the context of this thread. No more, no less.

what's a better word, then? Jaysus, but you feminist types are touchy!

I would suggest you calm down some, since I'm really not the enemy here (or, where your cause is concerned, anywhere for that matter)...if I did not fear you'd yet again take it as a personal affront.