Dishonest ebayers

Hello All,

Do you buy things from Ebay?!

I have been trying to buy a battery for my laptop. And it has ended up being a disaster.

It was 'buy it now'. I received a message a week later. The seller cancelled the sale, he said the item got lost in the post.

Although the advert said the seller was in UK, this person was writing the message from China!

I also noticed the price of the item has increased after the cancellation. (4 times). When asked, the seller replied that they did it so that nobody would buy it because the item was out of stock!!

It seems like you can never get a genuine UK seller on Ebay, because even the overseas sellers claim that they are based in the UK.

I give in...

actually, what CAN happen is that admin is overseas, but warehousing is UK...

Same on Amazon - loads of sellers of electronic and computer stuff are based in China, but their goods are either sent from Amazon themselves, or via Royal mail from a Warehouse in the UK

With regards to eBay price changes, I messaged a seller last week to tell him that these headphones he sells for £9.99, in a certain colour are listed at £99.99

As I know a lot of big sellers use software to actually do their listings for them , I figured that might have cocked up and he hadn't noticed. But no, he messaged me back to tell me that when he lists an item, he puts the quantity at WAY higher than he really has in stock. Then when an item goes out of stock, he increases the price of the remaining ones to 10 x what it should be, so that nobody buys them. When they're back in stock, he puts the price back down. He does this as he has listed his shop items 'Good until cancelled' which means that when the 30 days listing is over, it automatically renews and relists, keeping the sales records (the bit where it says like '2,321 sold'). If he let them go out of stock and let the listing end, he would lose this record, and it would go back to 0 sold when he relisted it.

Edited by Leah-Lacie

i use ebay a lot and these are all common problems sadly , even if you report it to ebay they do little about it, i also find it a little eisky when buying electricals and software products and usually steer clear of ebay for these, if you look through the discussion boards on there some stories are terrible, shame its not monitored better as its a fantastic way to buy things otherwise

---------- Post added 06-03-2013 at 09:17 ----------

usually on ebay if it sounds too good to be true then it probably is

Edited by bassy
eisky should read risky !

[/color]usually on ebay if it sounds too good to be true then it probably is

I havnt had any problems with ebay sellers, I do try to just buy from sellers rated more than 9.7

Do you buy things from Ebay?!

<....>

It seems like you can never get a genuine UK seller on Ebay

As a an occasional private (non-business) eBay seller (auction-only), the same mini-rant applies to 'genuine' buyers nowadays, tbh.

For the last couple of years or so, every time I list items (usually 3 to 9 items, on free listing weekend) you can bet a penny to a pound at least 1 will sell and remain unpaid, and at least another buyer will never leave feedback.

1999-registered eBay user here, 100% with close to 500 feedback (more or less 50% seller/50% buyer), it's not as if I'm a newcomer at it either ;)

Edited by L00b

i use ebay a lot and these are all common problems sadly , even if you report it to ebay they do little about it, i also find it a little eisky when buying electricals and software products and usually steer clear of ebay for these, if you look through the discussion boards on there some stories are terrible, shame its not monitored better as its a fantastic way to buy things otherwise

usually on ebay if it sounds too good to be true then it probably is

I would still be inclined to report it You need to open a "dispute report" I have had to do this once and they did get the problem resolved for me My personal pet hate is when i purchase items (i usually pay within minutes of the auction closing) and the seller doesnt leave me any feedback usually because they are a big seller therefore they arent that bothered about getting feedback from me

I would still be inclined to report it You need to open a "dispute report" I have had to do this once and they did get the problem resolved for me My personal pet hate is when i purchase items (i usually pay within minutes of the auction closing) and the seller doesnt leave me any feedback usually because they are a big seller therefore they arent that bothered about getting feedback from me
big sellers usually have automated feedback that leaves you a positive as soon as you leave yours (first).

It is an unfortunate consequence of where eBay have taken the site over time, that it is now vastly easier for unscrupulous buyers to try and extort something out of sellers once sellers have left a positive feedback. To the extent that there is a dedicated anti-"feedback extortion" built-in as well (I have had to use it myself). You will find precious few sellers who leave feedback first these days (often as not, inexperienced ones).

I never leave feedback until the buyer has done so. I'd rather miss on it (even though I always send gentle reminders if needed) than run the risk of yet another chancer trying it on.