What caused the grid lock today?

People queueing for Morrisons in case they run out of stuff in the impending 2'' of snow.

I think not.

The silly woman in the blue Toyota Yaris that was driving a walking pace up the A61 at 9:00 AM this morning, despite there only being light slush on the road, was causing significant delay to others.

So: You're wrong there.

(Note capitalisation, punctuation and spelling.)

the lady was driving at a speed and control with which she felt most happy - live with it.

the lady was driving at a speed and control with which she felt most happy - live with it.

another stupid statement:huh:

we need ice road truck driver over here

They should do a spoof version - Ice Road Truckers - UK! :D

I was on the bottom end of Shirecliffe Road going towards Pitsmoor and didn't turn a wheel for 20 minutes. So turned around and went home. Took a days leave for it. Side roads had no feeders as they was turning around.

I would like to know why nothing was moving? Roads was passable, just slush.

The police had closed the road as it became Cookswood (?) Rd, the hill was like an ice rink. I had to abandon my car up there (safely on a side street, may I add) and walk in this morning.

HEYYYY!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

who all no doubt think they are good drivers.

Why dont people understand that snow / ice and hills dont make a good combination for driving?

If that was the maximum speed at which she felt comfortable at in what was only moderate slush, then she is not competent to drive in even the most slightly adverse road conditions. Such a lack of ability and/or confidence poses a danger to herself and others.

I travelled north out of Sheffield on the A61, this morning. It started snowing heavily in Grenoside, and again as I was near Wood Seats. As cars came to a halt, the snow settled a bit more, and some struggled to get going again on the slight rise and bend near the junction with Elliott Lane. Once they had stopped, quite a few struggled to get going again, demonstrated by the zig-zag tyre marks as they tried to get some traction.

A couple of years ago I’d have probably been with them, as the standard summer tyres on my car were very poor in the snow. Just before last winter I fitted proper 4 season tyres (with the snowflake marking) in readiness. There was not enough bad weather at times that mattered last winter, so I’d never used them “in anger” until recently – a little try out in a safe area in the recent snow a couple of weeks ago. Today was the first proper use. I switched off the traction control thingy which is part of the ESP, put the car in 2nd, and pulled away cleanly. I’m really, really pleased with the way the tyres performed – a vast improvement on the old summer tyres.

By the way, mine's a small car. (Actually, I think that might be one of the problems with the standard wheels/tyres, which might be a bit on the wide side for a car that doesn't weigh a lot).

Was driving from fox house the other day no snow on the ground sleeting a bit and the car in front was doing 20 mph.if you can't handle the conditions leave the car at home please.

Half of the problem is that a lot of people can,t drive properly in good conditions so when we get snow and ice they have no chance!.Some of them still tear around without allowing for the conditions following too close driving on their brakes which is asking for trouble!.Just of late there is a trend towards fitting winter tyres,my car is a Mercede E-Class and in the snow is a nightmare,since I bought a set of extra wheels on E-Bay and fitted winter tyres the difference is amazing!.For outlay of around £450 all in job done,and when the weather bucks up I swop the wheels around until next winter!.