Have i got another dodgy landlord?

aidy

Hi. I moved from one privately rented property just before Christmas due to issues with my former landlord. Found a room in a shared house which seemed nice, but now im troubled. We had someone walk in who doesnt live here, let themselves in with a key, claiming to have come to collect some mail for a previous tennant! Asked the landlord to change the locks which he hasnt done yet! He also removed some of the lightbulbs we bought, leaving half of the house in darkness. And to top it all he turns up unannounced at all hours (as i type its quarter to one in the morning and hes here now!). I feel really uncomfortable and troubled, any advice please?

Ooh i could write a book on this, and a very insightful post, but it would deemed racist and perpetuating a stereotype therefore deleted. :hihi:

Log EVERY single incident in detail as you WILL need to refer to them, Also have an housemate co-sign any observations too if possible.

As far as I'm aware, a landlord has to give 24 hours 'written' notice of entering a property. There has to be a legitimate reason for it too. Ie, an inspection, or to carry out some kind of maintenance etc. Not just wander about willy-nilly.

Hi. I moved from one privately rented property just before Christmas due to issues with my former landlord. Found a room in a shared house which seemed nice, but now im troubled. We had someone walk in who doesnt live here, let themselves in with a key, claiming to have come to collect some mail for a previous tennant! Asked the landlord to change the locks which he hasnt done yet! He also removed some of the lightbulbs we bought, leaving half of the house in darkness. And to top it all he turns up unannounced at all hours (as i type its quarter to one in the morning and hes here now!). I feel really uncomfortable and troubled, any advice please?

in your room or in the house?

I can`t see you have many grounds to complain if other people are in a shared property - sort of goes with the territory

Yes the person who let themselves in with a key to collect mail claimed to be a friend of a previous tennant, collecting mail on his behalf. We have already asked our landlord to change the locks but over two weeks later he still hasnt done it! As for the landlord letting himself in, he comes around at all hours, either to simply knock on housemates doors to talk to them, or just to snoop around. It just concerns me as he was here till 2.45am this morning!

Yes the person who let themselves in with a key to collect mail claimed to be a friend of a previous tennant, collecting mail on his behalf. We have already asked our landlord to change the locks but over two weeks later he still hasnt done it! As for the landlord letting himself in, he comes around at all hours, either to simply knock on housemates doors to talk to them, or just to snoop around. It just concerns me as he was here till 2.45am this morning!

surely if the old tenant moved out and still has a key and i was a landlord, changing the lock would be 1st on my agenda :huh: could someone be using the property for fraudulent claims etc, ???, as for the landlord coming around in the middle of the night, it seems very strange to me !!!!!! :suspect:

Call the police if he turns up again without notice.