Tramlines to charge for the Forever Free music festival

Should Tramlines be completely free?  

158 members have voted

1. 1. Should Tramlines be completely free?

• Yes
    • No

What's the average cost of a City Hall ticket to see the usual second rate acts perform there????

I'd imagine around £20-25 a ticket with a £50 family ticket would be a fair price to charge to attend tramlines.

A word of warning, Middlesbrough had a very similar music festival to Tramlines called Middlesbrough Music Live that was a great success and bought a load of money into the city, then the council cut funding and they charged £12 for the ticket, the festival bombed and ending up dying, and in the end the city lost out.

It should stay as a free festival, Although charging would keep away some of the trouble makers it is a fantastic weekend for both students and families. charging would spoil it and alot of people would stop going.

A Middlesbrough Music Live

It's not a pretty.

The festival attracted thousands of fans to Teesside when it was free but numbers dropped off by 90% last year when an entry fee was introduced.

I notice it says charging to get into the 'main stage' - there are plenty of other bands around the city centre on stages and inside venues that would still be free then. Ive never managed to get into the main stage yet, I've not got the patience to queue for hours and they chuck you out at 10pm anyway, but still let people in at 9.30pm.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

I notice it says charging to get into the 'main stage' - there are plenty of other bands around the city centre on stages and inside venues that would still be free then. Ive never managed to get into the main stage yet, I've not got the patience to queue for hours and they chuck you out at 10pm anyway, but still let people in at 9.30pm.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Alot of the venues dont let under 12's in so would be no good when we go (my children are 5&8 ) and the other stages arnt always that good.

Edited by bobgirlsnake

The main people who benefit from tramlines is the forum/common room and other bars close by.

Most of the cities retailers suffer during tramlines as shoppers are kept away.

Tramlines is something that Sheffield does really well, it brings in lots of revenue and gives the opportunity to showcase the city in a positive light - why would someone risk ruining a good thing.

Unless there is a serious upgrade in the calibre of acts, people will just bypass the Mainstage and go to the smaller, free venues.

Or more likely not bother coming at all. There are thousands of folk who come to Sheffield because of the concept of the roam around free festival, and they spend a fortune whilst they are here.

It would be all too easy to kill the golden goose. Start to charge and many acts who perform for free will want paying or not play. It might even be that sponsors are put off too.

Sheffield is brilliant at shooting itself in the foot and driving to Leeds anything here that is remotely successful.

Why is the council mentioned in the title? As far as I was aware if there's any charging to be done it's by the festival themselves. :huh:

Oh, I see, Tony is being a little bit partisan, again. :rolleyes:

Why is the council mentioned in the title? As far as I was aware if there's any charging to be done it's by the festival themselves. :huh:

Oh, I see, Tony is being a little bit partisan, again. :rolleyes:

Because currently the council put some money towards staging the event, which due to the government austerity cuts is money they no longer have available.

To make up for that shorfall in income, the festival organisers as far as I can see have the choice of things like

- charging visitors an entry fee for the entertainment

- somehow get more sponsorship from businesses

- get more stalls in the main stage venues and therefore earn more in pitch fees.

- create vip areas and sell tickets

- sell more merchandise

I think its right and proper that the council should reduce it's subsidy of the event.

After all an event that attracts sponsorship from Nokia,Nandos a brewery and Strongbow tells me everythng i need to know.