Should I move to Sheffield?

It's the 5th largest in the UK. How large does it need to be before you consider it major?

Yes. You should come to Sheffield. We have sports, jobs and other things here.

Major in terms of size maybe. But for me a major city offers a good mix of everything. Sheffield offers very little in terms of culture. It has most 'things' but in very small numbers.

I know Sheffield cannot possibly compare to London on many aspects (Good and bad) but I'd say London offers a good mix of everything. Good areas, grotty areas, middle areas, loads of galleries, museums, a great zoo, tons of great places to eat etc etc...

You've soon covered what Sheffield has to offer.

i love sheffie;d - has everything - don't knoxk it!

Major in terms of size maybe. But for me a major city offers a good mix of everything. Sheffield offers very little in terms of culture. It has most 'things' but in very small numbers.

I know Sheffield cannot possibly compare to London on many aspects (Good and bad) but I'd say London offers a good mix of everything. Good areas, grotty areas, middle areas, loads of galleries, museums, a great zoo, tons of great places to eat etc etc...

You've soon covered what Sheffield has to offer.

So the only Major city in the UK then, as far as you're concerned is London. I think you should probably call that one a Capital City and Major means something less than Capital.

So the only Major city in the UK then, as far as you're concerned is London. I think you should probably call that one a Capital City and Major means something less than Capital.

Major cities in the UK for me are

Leeds

Manchester

B'ham

The rest pretty much offer the same facilites.

It's the 5th largest in the UK. How large does it need to be before you consider it major?

1.London

2.Birmingham

3.Glasgow

4.Manchester

5.Liverpool

6.Leeds

7.Newcastle

8.Sheffield

9.Hull

10.Edinburgh:confused:

1.London

2.Birmingham

3.Glasgow

4.Manchester

5.Liverpool

6.Leeds

7.Newcastle

8.Sheffield

9.Hull

Link to your stats?

Sheffield is larger than Newcastle, Liverpool and Manchester lol

Major cities in the UK for me are

Leeds

Manchester

B'ham

The rest pretty much offer the same facilites.

Those three (positions 6, 4 and 2) offer the same facilities as well.

What facilities do you imagine you can find there that Sheffield doesn't have. (Harvey Nicks is not acceptable as a facility).

---------- Post added 02-03-2013 at 08:55 ----------

1.London

2.Birmingham

3.Glasgow

4.Manchester

5.Liverpool

6.Leeds

7.Newcastle

8.Sheffield

9.Hull

That would be the "most populous urban areas"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_urban_areas_in_the_United_Kingdom

Not "largest cities"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Largest_cities_of_the_United_Kingdom

Currently this source list Leeds in 5 and Sheffield in 6, it's a hotly disputed position and depends on your source.

Strangely it has Manchester in 9 though, so I'm not sure it's a well put together list.

http://www.graduatesyorkshire.co.uk/graduates/love-yorkshire/south-yorks

This source says 5th largest...

Edited by Cyclone

Those three (positions 6, 4 and 2) offer the same facilities as well.

What facilities do you imagine you can find there that Sheffield doesn't have. (Harvey Nicks is not acceptable as a facility).

A decent airport for one. Job opportunities for graduates in decent numbers and jobs in other sectors than telesales.

Come on Cyclone, let's not be silly about this, I love Sheffield but it is rather poor on many counts for a "major" city!

They do all have an airport. I must admit that when I consider whether to live somewhere, 'airport' is so far down the list that actually I'd never even considered it.

It takes about 1hr to get from Sheffield to any of Sheffield/Doncaster, Manchester or East Midlands airport.

How often do you actually make use of the facility of an airport wherever it is that you live?

Sheffield has the highest graduate retention rate in the country (or one of if not currently the).

Do you know much about the graduate employment market around here? I see lots of students sticking around, many of them work for the NHS, quite a few work for HSBC and the DWP has a large presence here. There are of course many many more companies, those are just some of the largest graduate employers.

Rather poor on the basis that it doesn't have an airport... Or were there more important facilities that you could identify as missing?

How many theatres do Manchester, Birmingham and Leeds have BTW?

Edited by Cyclone