Disabled man mugged on London Road

A friend of mine, who is disabled - paraliysed down one side and walks with the aid of a stick, was attacked and mugged on London Road, close to the Lloyds Chemist, the other morning, 31st December, sometime after 1am.

He had taken some money out of the Post Office cash machine and then walked down to buy food and cigarettes at Ozmens 24hr shop opposite the Cremorne pub.

As he came out of the shop, there were several young boys, aged around 14, who then confronted him, as he walked over the road towards Lloyds chemist.

He was knocked to the ground and his stick was then used to hit him by those demanding money off of him.

They took £200, all his shopping, his walking stick and even his disabled bus pass and left him lying on the floor whilst walking away laughing.

They had dragged him down Harwood Close, where they mugged him.

He has been to hospital and has sustained nasty badly bruised lashings to his back all the way down.

He thought he had also broken his arm, but x-rays have shown otherwise.

I just would like to warn everyone to be very very careful on London Road and it's surrounding roads, at night or in the early hours of the morning.

If at all possible do not use the cash machines to draw money out, as my friend believes that these young lads had seen him taking money out of the cash machine prior to mugging him.

He said that they hide behind the post box on Woodhead Rd and also some hide down an alleyway at the bottom of Sharrow Lane, just in-between the old Natwest building and the barbers shop.

They apparently wait and look for vulnerable people using the Post Office cash machine.

I will be letting the police know about this incident.

Absolutely disgusting,hope your friend is ok.

A friend of mine, who is disabled - paraliysed down one side and walks with the aid of a stick, was attacked and mugged on London Road, close to the Lloyds Chemist, the other morning, 31st December, sometime after 1am.

He had taken some money out of the Post Office cash machine and then walked down to buy food and cigarettes at Ozmens 24hr shop opposite the Cremorne pub.

As he came out of the shop, there were several young boys, aged around 14, who then confronted him, as he walked over the road towards Lloyds chemist.

He was knocked to the ground and his stick was then used to hit him by those demanding money off of him.

They took £200, all his shopping, his walking stick and even his disabled bus pass and left him lying on the floor whilst walking away laughing.

He has been to hospital and has sustained nasty badly bruised lashings to his back all the way down.

I just would like to warn everyone to be very very careful on London Road and it's surrounding roads, at night or in the early hours of the morning.

If at all possible do not use the cash machines to draw money out, as my friend believes that these young lads had seen him taking money out of the cash machine prior to mugging him.

He said that they hide behind the post box on Woodhead Rd and also some hide down an alleyway at the bottom of Sharrow Lane, just in-between the old Natwest building and the barbers shop.

They apparently wait and look for vulnerable people using the Post Office cash machine.

I hope too your friend is recovering, well they may be 14 but they've committed an adult crime, when they are found lets hope they can be punished as adults; scum no other words for them.

We need a three strike system like the US. Most of these scum are repeat offenders and the world would be a better place without them.

Hope your friend recovers.

What a terrible experience!

I can only imagine what he must have gone through as I don't go out in the middle of the night; carry £200; or go to ATM machines when young thugs and no one else is hanging around.

What was it that Forest Gump would say?

I can only imagine what he must have gone through as I don't go out in the middle of the night; carry £200; or go to ATM machines when young thugs and no one else is hanging around.

I don't know and I don't care, what fictional Forest Gump would say!!!

My friend usually takes a taxi and has been told time and time again not to go on London Rd late at night on his own, but that still does not condone what his attackers did to a vulnerable person.

Sadly, we do have to take precautions nowadays, but London Rd appears to be getting VERY bad indeed.

The police need to seriously step things up, because it's getting all out of hand down there.

These lads out at 1am,hiding in alleys?I would have expected the kids to be at home in bed.

the point is people shouldnt need to worry about going down to the shop or carrying cash on them whatever time it is or area, until people stop being afraid and standing up to these animals it will only get worse.

i hope your friend recovers and luckily thats all that happened as by the sound of it many people have wqanted to start the new year off badly, i only hope karma does what its supposed to ....

Sadly, we do have to take precautions nowadays, but London Rd appears to be getting VERY bad indeed.

The police need to seriously step things up, because it's getting all out of hand down there.

Agreed - London Road has become extremely dodgy recently. Especially around the Post Office cash machine. After so many muggings and attacks, why have they not upgraded the CCTV, stepped up patrols, attempted to deal with crime in the area?

Any description of the attackers ?

Hopefully they will pick on wrong guy next time and all end up under a passing bus with a bit of luck, utter scum.

Something needs to be done about the scum that congregate on London road. They need a good kicking, arms and legs broken etc.