Plans for "crisis house" for people with mental illness

I would object if this institution was propose next to my house. It's the 'crisis' part that's worrying with the threat of violence and disorder. Who would want to live next door to that?

you are very poorly informed then

What a pleasure people in Nether Edge are. Selfish bar stewards comes to mind.

Perhaps Nether Edge was chosen as it may the source of many needy patients,making visits from home simple.It has many excessively large dwellings ideal for multiple occupancy,and the in-patients should find it easy to assimilate.

I pointed out in post 38 why Nether Edge was good for such places? Did you not read the whole thread before mouthing off?

I would object if this institution was propose next to my house. It's the 'crisis' part that's worrying with the threat of violence and disorder. Who would want to live next door to that?

Crisis in mental health terms does not mean 'violence and disorder'.

Have a read of the response to the objections from Rethink that's available on the planning page:

There is no evidence through the operation of our other Crisis Houses that there will be any additional noise. The people who use these services are not acutely ill and they will be motivated to engage in the support which is available. The service is voluntary and only people who want to stay at the house will be accepted. It would be very unusual that any disruptive behaviour would occur.

It is certainly the case that any agency which supports vulnerable people will encounter challenging incidents which need to be managed, including incidents which require notifying the police. However, in our experience such incidents are very few in number; again this is no different to a private dwelling. We have robust policies and risk management systems to deal with any problems. The service is part of the mental health pathway of care, so safety is managed by all agencies involved in the service. As part of that process we work in partnership with mental health professionals to provide support. We do not take people under the Mental Health Act, for example people who might be detained; instead our partners are clear that if people pose a risk to themselves or others then the service would not be appropriate for them and they would be placed elsewhere.

Better to have a person next door to you who is in mental health crisis getting support from professionals, rather than sitting in their home alone contemplating chaos.

It's also worth noting that when a person with mental health difficulties is known to services, when their presentation is such that they can't be safely cared for in the community they will be quite quickly admitted to hospital, which clearly doesn't happen if they aren't accessing any sort of services and are therefore off the radar.

I pointed out in post 38 why Nether Edge was good for such places? Did you not read the whole thread before mouthing off?

I wanted to applaud your judgement and felt it would give you the extra support you perhaps want.Do you need to be quite so brutish in your questioning?

---------- Post added 11-12-2012 at 22:39 ----------

Sad things for these ere locals of Nether Edge is that it is the ideal sort of area for such housing....

Large houses, so there is a community of fellows: a fairly reasonable area, so no likely abuse in the street of the residents

Near to facilities and "town" so no sense of isolation

Psychiatric Unit at the old hospital I believe.....It really is an ideal location :)

Possibly the best location outside Foolwood and Ramnoor,also full of big houses and quirky souls.Well argued S10:hihi:

[/b]

I wanted to applaud your judgement and felt it would give you the extra support you perhaps want.Do you need to be quite so brutish in your questioning?

What you particular tonight "Internet Persona" thinks is not a lot of relevenace to me...

I don`t know if "Crisis" in Sheff is run differently, but in Rothrum I understand the crisis staff never give out the address to patients/people who phone. The staff visit the mentally ill patient on the patient`s turf or up at A&E.

I do not see how this can affect the neighbours in N/Edge.

I don`t know if "Crisis" in Sheff is run differently, but in Rothrum I understand the crisis staff never give out the address to patients/people who phone. The staff visit the mentally ill patient on the patient`s turf or up at A&E.

I do not see how this can affect the neighbours in N/Edge.

As I understand it, the crisis house will be run as an alternative to hospital admission, and is in addition to what exists already.

The statutory crisis service that exists at present as I understand it, is that staff do visit the individual a number of times in their own home for a short periods of time.

you are very poorly informed then

A lesson on how to post in a dismissive and rude manner.

---------- Post added 11-12-2012 at 23:00 ----------

Crisis in mental health terms does not mean 'violence and disorder'.

Have a read of the response to the objections from Rethink that's available on the planning page:

A lesson in how to post in a friendly and informative manner.

What you particular tonight "Internet Persona" thinks is not a lot of relevenace to me...

How's it hanging 'crooksey?'

Good tune for you here . . .

the star would never pick up on this, its actually news...

so much love for the people on this thread for supportng people with mental health problems :)

---------- Post added 11-12-2012 at 23:19 ----------

can we put in letters of support?