Plans for "crisis house" for people with mental illness

can we put in letters of support?

Yes you can :)

Good point Libuse that people needing psychiatric support are living among us anyway. Mental health problems affect all of us in our lifetimes - personally, and in our friends and families. I feel disappointed in the prejudice, selfishness and lack of understanding in the objections. I live not far from here and do not feel the way the objectors do, understanding the need for such centres in the community. I've also been a support worker and manager of a crisis house in the community and it was a really difficult job, in particular in having to respond to and manage the anxieties (and sometimes aggression) of local residents.

Very true.

Considering mental health problems will affect one in four of us, in our lifetimes, I feel it's a horrendously short-sighted point of view for the residents to take.

Also, something to consider:- even the most dreadfully badly affected of the projected client base would be far more likely to be of danger to themselves than any neighbour or random member of the public.

---------- Post added 11-12-2012 at 23:28 ----------

Crisis in mental health terms does not mean 'violence and disorder'.

Have a read of the response to the objections from Rethink that's available on the planning page:

sorry, I've gone and said pretty much the same thing in my post! ^^^

Edited by Plain Talker

What ever happened to destigmatising mental health? Not everyone with a mental health problem is violent. it's a crisis house not a secure unit. Nether Edge middle classes, shame on you.

i would like a LIKE Button as well.

The caring professions in S7

Many of these do charitable work for the city too.

Child law

Engineer

Computer design

Cancer researcher

Head of pensions and employment

Local vintage supplier

Public school teacher

NHS consultant

Cultural historian

PR person who fund raises by holding house parties

Designer

Fundraiser through running

Another lecturer

Another NHS consultant

On line sales co

Head teacher

Mental health nurse

Local gallery shop owner

Legal services

Another head teacher

Director engineer

Care services

Legal advisor

Employment judge

Church fundraiser for homeless

Music technologist

Stay at home mum

E tech co

Professor of law

Wow, pippadoll. That's really uncomfortable reading.

can we put in letters of support?

If you can then the quote below could form part of a template.

Sad things for these ere locals of Nether Edge is that it is the ideal sort of area for such housing....

Large houses, so there is a community of fellows: a fairly reasonable area, so no likely abuse in the street of the residents

Near to facilities and "town" so no sense of isolation

Psychiatric Unit at the old hospital I believe.....It really is an ideal location :)

A lesson on how to post in a dismissive and rude manner.

---------- Post added 11-12-2012 at 23:00 ----------

A lesson in how to post in a friendly and informative manner.

I wasnt aware that I had to be polite to ill-informed people...is it a general rule in life or does it just apply to you?

--------

There is something about the general approach to mental illness that makes me think of pitch-forks and fires late at night -Even amongst the supposedly well-educated, liberal sorts there seems to be a mistaken idea that witch-craft (or call it what you will) is involved - You know, it is somehow "their fault", even though, as mentioned, it affects 1 in 4 people at some point.

I understand that at first glance it may not be the sort of thing we want near "us" but what are we to do. sweep these people away and let them rot in a "unit"? Or maybe by seeing and being part of their lives we can begin to understand they they are "just us, on a bad day"....

It really isnt often that my fascist b**astard hackles get a rise but this case really does make me go "grrrr!"

I've surprised myself. I would oppose it.

I've surprised myself. I would oppose it.

why would you do that?

why would you do that?

Because I think the house is $h!t.

There are plenty of houses that are non-semis in the same area if that's the area they want, (and that would reduce the number of objections too); and I know that other properties which are detached have larger gardens.

A MH crisis place needs a nice garden. The garden at 29 is small and pokey.

I've read all the objections, and I think they all mask what they really mean, and that is that they feel their house value will reduce - and based on that, I don't think it's fair to name and shame as mentioned on earlier posts. I think that is a fair point - BASED ON THAT PARTICULAR property.

For reasons known to me, I know of most of the locations of similar places all over Sheffield, and perhaps some S10's would be surprised how close they are to them. (edit: not meaning you, I just noticed you are s10 in name - might have been subconscious :) I saw Fulwood mentioned earlier in thread, is why)

I simply think the property is wrong.

Edited by *_ash_*

I dont know of the property, I do know of nether edge though - and as i mentioned it is a good place to have such a facility

Some of S10 would be good too, though most of it is a bit isolated and suburban.

Id definately agree that a Crisis House wants to ve Detached though, the thought of the people there having to deal with the neighbours is too much to contemplate

I dont know of the property, I do know of nether edge though - and as i mentioned it is a good place to have such a facility

Nether Edge is beautiful in places. Much of it designed by Wostenholme in the late 19th Century. And as mentioned, there are other similar type places in the area. The buildings are different though.

Some of S10 would be good too, though most of it is a bit isolated and suburban.

It is good for many people there. And not many people know about them, and I know it doesn't affect house prices.

Id definately agree that a Crisis House wants to ve Detached though, the thought of the people there having to deal with the neighbours is too much to contemplate

MH issues are, and perhaps always will have stigmas attached to them for some people. I personally think the objections are from people who are worried about their houses values. And I don't think that is something that they should be slagged off for. Everyone, and I mean everyone in that area knows at least one other place very close to them. It doesn't cause any problems, but one (or neither) are semi-detached houses right on the road front.

Edited by *_ash_*