Plans for "crisis house" for people with mental illness

PoGa

I've just googled the person that put this complaint together.

"I wsh to object to the proposed change of use.

The proposed change of use is incomptible with a reidential area where there are a large numberof children living. I am concerend that the propoed 24 hour access will lead to traffic and noise at all hours, which will disturb the neighbourhood. Also, by ther very nature the service users will be in crisis and may be demontrating acute and florid symptom of mental health difficulties. I would be cocnerned that this may be frightning and confusing for the local chidlren - most of whom, includng my own, walk to and from thier schools unaccompnied. The proposed chnge of use differs significntly to the other community resources in the area where service users are resdent for siginifcant periods of time and psrt of the purpoe of the residential unit is to encourage involvement and participation in the local community. The rethink project is siginifcntly different in it's short term nature. Whilst I note and accept the assertions that a community based crisis house may improve outcomes for service users, it would seem that such a project does not need to be in the heart of a residential neighbourhood as there is no benefit to the servie uers in being in such a neighbourhood".

I'm in the wrong line of work.

The proposed change of use is incomptible with a reidential area where there are a large numberof children living. I am concerend that the propoed 24 hour access will lead to traffic and noise at all hours, which will disturb the neighbourhood. Also, by ther very nature the service users will be in crisis and may be demontrating acute and florid symptom of mental health difficulties. I would be cocnerned that this may be frightning and confusing for the local chidlren - most of whom, includng my own, walk to and from thier schools unaccompnied. The proposed chnge of use differs significntly to the other community resources in the area where service users are resdent for siginifcant periods of time and psrt of the purpoe of the residential unit is to encourage involvement and participation in the local community. The rethink project is siginifcntly different in it's short term nature. Whilst I note and accept the assertions that a community based crisis house may improve outcomes for service users, it would seem that such a project does not need to be in the heart of a residential neighbourhood as there is no benefit to the servie uers in being in such a neighbourhood".

Yes, Stan... the irony of their comment had me ROFL-ing. Roughly translated, the long-and-the-short of what this prat is saying is

"A community based support group has no business being set up within a community!"

I hope that who ever wrote this isn't a teacher :hihi:

And anyway a Crisis House should be in a residential neighbourhood, it reinforces the ordinariness of mental health problems - much better than been in the middle of an industrial estate.

I have just done that too (googled). And now feel deeply saddened and a bit sick.

"What do we want?"

"Facilities for treating people with mental health!"

"Where do we want it?"

"Definitely not near here!"

Why do we want it?

"To ensure we can have high paid jobs in the NHS"

Why don't we want it here?

"Because we wish to get rich through the unearned increment in land values at the expense of the landless"

Why do you wish to get rich at the expense of others?

"Because property is king and we voted Tory, there is no new tax upon property and we now feel that we are part of the landed gentry"

But surely that is not fair on the landless?

"Why should we care, these people can be forced to clean our houses to eek out a living, we can then preach how good we are at helping the poor, we are HOME-OWNERS and we are UEBER ALLEN!"

But what if the landless become sick and require care?

"House them far away and pay us to look after them!"

Where do you suggest we house them then and how?

"We have a portfolio of buy to let properties, perhaps income taxes can be increased to fund housing benefit, these people can rent our hovels, we must be guaranteed a profit to provide them with housing after-all"

Wouldn't it make more sense to allow these people to build their own houses?

"No NEVER! That might affect property prices!"

Yes, Stan... the irony of their comment had me ROFL-ing. Roughly translated, the long-and-the-short of what this prat is saying is

"A community based support group has no business being set up within a community!"

Close PT. What they're actually saying is "A community based support group has no business being set up within my community! Based on the 20 minutes it took me to write this ungrammatical typo filled drivel, that'll be £1,000 please!"

Sad things for these ere locals of Nether Edge is that it is the ideal sort of area for such housing....

Large houses, so there is a community of fellows: a fairly reasonable area, so no likely abuse in the street of the residents

Near to facilities and "town" so no sense of isolation

Psychiatric Unit at the old hospital I believe.....It really is an ideal location :)

Wow!

I live near there, and have lived in Nether Edge most of my adult life. What a depressing, ill-informed, bigotted, ignorant bunch it transpires my neighbours are.

I've just read some of the objections, which broadly read as "will no one think of the children/cyclists/people who want to park". I'd wager none of the objectors have much in the way of understanding of community psychiatric services, as evidenced by their confused and hysterical "reasoning" (sic)

Rethink's similar service in Rotherham is in a (in my view) much nicer area than Nether Edge, and I'm fairly sure it hasn't caused the house prices to plummet. I also don't recall noticing a copious amount of news stories relating to the mass slaughter of children/cyclists/people wanting to park in that area of Rotherham caused by a small community psychiatric facility being based there.

It's quite depressingly predictable that none of the shrill objectors recognise that people who need psychiatric support live in all our neighbourhoods anyway. It's obviously, blindingly preferable that they have the support they need rather than exist hidden in bedsits. How ironic that so many people round here work in senior public sector roles. Clearly public service is something we "do to" rather than "do with"