Boiler/Heating Megathread - Advice & Recommendations, No Jobs/Quotes/Advertising

Hi,

I've been in my house for 2 years now and have noticed our hot water doesnt seem to be as plentiful any more. It is heated by an immersion heater and i currently have it set to come on at 5-7am and 5-7pm.

Wondered if someone could come and take a look and see if the immersion heater needs replacing, lagging wants improving (has 2 red insulating jackets on) etc

The heating is by warm air so cannot heat water that way (I don't think)

Thanks

Matt

Hi,

I've been in my house for 2 years now and have noticed our hot water doesnt seem to be as plentiful any more. It is heated by an immersion heater and i currently have it set to come on at 5-7am and 5-7pm.

Wondered if someone could come and take a look and see if the immersion heater needs replacing, lagging wants improving (has 2 red insulating jackets on) etc

The heating is by warm air so cannot heat water that way (I don't think)

Thanks

Matt

Hi happy to take a look for you, what temp is the stat set too inside the immersion cap, remember to make sure the power to the immersion is off when you check the stat.

Cheers Jon at JB Heating Services.

Hi, we would be happy to take a look for you. If you call 0114 3520017 tomorrow I can get someone round.

Hi happy to take a look for you, what temp is the stat set too inside the immersion cap, remember to make sure the power to the immersion is off when you check the stat.

Cheers Jon at JB Heating Services.

Hi - just checked and there are no numbers on it but it is set to max. It looks very old though it says 'HEATRAE RDT' on it. I can email you a picture if you send me an email address

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could offer advice on our heating system. I had a new boiler fitted in October, so no problems there. The problem is not all the radiators are getting hot!

The house is concrete construction so all the radiators have external pipes and is all on the same flow system, if that makes sense?

The gas engineer who fitted the boiler said they need to be balanced, but I have bled them and balanced them every possible way in the past couple of months. I have 7 radiators and a plinth heater. Only two radiators get too hot to hold your hand on, the rest only ever get luke-warm.

The one in the dining room will only get hot if the one directly above in the bedroom is off! The last one on the system seems to get warm so I am not sure why the ones in-between would not. We also have the bathroom one turned off as well as the second one in our living room to help optimise flow to others...but still not working! I am at my wits end with it!

Any ideas what the cause could be? A couple of my neighbours have the same pipe set up but do not have these problems!

If you need me to come and have a look I'm sure it be something little thanks 07531196212

---------- Post added 03-01-2014 at 13:08 ----------

Try closing down the locksheilds down on the radiators which are really hot to blast the beat to the other radiators

hi, i was wondering if anyone could offer advice on our heating system. I had a new boiler fitted in october, so no problems there. The problem is not all the radiators are getting hot!

The house is concrete construction so all the radiators have external pipes and is all on the same flow system, if that makes sense?

The gas engineer who fitted the boiler said they need to be balanced, but i have bled them and balanced them every possible way in the past couple of months. I have 7 radiators and a plinth heater. Only two radiators get too hot to hold your hand on, the rest only ever get luke-warm.

The one in the dining room will only get hot if the one directly above in the bedroom is off! The last one on the system seems to get warm so i am not sure why the ones in-between would not. We also have the bathroom one turned off as well as the second one in our living room to help optimise flow to others...but still not working! I am at my wits end with it!

Any ideas what the cause could be? A couple of my neighbours have the same pipe set up but do not have these problems!

More than happy to help please call us. Could be various thing best for us to have a look !

Thanks

Mike

I have recently found I need to top up my Greenstar 37 cdi boiler every 2 days.

The Pressure gauge is down to zero when cold.

Can anyone advise me if this is down to the weather or a fault or leak. I do appreciate that it may be difficult to diagnose so perhaps I should ask is this normal?

Does it matter whether all the radiators are switched on when I fill up the system?

Sounds like a leak.

With most boilers you shouldn't really need to fill your boiler very often.

Open the rads, and refill.

Check the manual..the correct pressure is usually between 1 to 1.5 bar.

Takes not that much to lower pressure in sealed system.

Outside somewhere is the vent pipe, it will be 15mm copper most ,likely..either put a bowl under it or tie a plastic bag to it.I think your expansion cylinder may be at fault.

If you get water out of vent cylinder prob.If not, yup..theres a leak somewhere

Edited by butlers

Mod note

As this is a heater/ boiler query, I have merged it with the well-signposted Megathread.

Please use the search facility before starting a new thread.

Thanks

I have recently found I need to top up my Greenstar 37 cdi boiler every 2 days.

The Pressure gauge is down to zero when cold.

Can anyone advise me if this is down to the weather or a fault or leak. I do appreciate that it may be difficult to diagnose so perhaps I should ask is this normal?

Does it matter whether all the radiators are switched on when I fill up the system?

As mentioned above, there is a discharge pipe outside (a piece of copper pipe, effectively an over-flow), this will let water out if pressure is too high or pressure relief valve is not working correctly. Top up pressure, switch on heating, observe pressure gauge and pipe outside.....see if pressure rises and pipe starts dripping. If so, then problem with PRV/expansion vessel or pipe to exp vessel etc. If PRV does not pass then internal leak is source of pressure drop.......check all visible pipework/rad valves....but could be hidden below floor. Happy to assist if required, Steve