Is it going to snow? 2012 - 2013 snow thread

The thing that gets me is that it could be so much easier if people actually used their heads when driving in the snow.

This morning on quite steep hill with a busy junction at the bottom a 4x4 attempted to get up and his wheels span rapidly, he didn't have a chance so he safely attempted to turn it round and go back down. Lo and behold a woman in her 30's driving a fiesta had witnessed the whole event but considered herself invincible and off she went attempting to do what a car which in my opnion was far better equipped to do so had but had failed. No surprise when she didn't get a quarter of the distance up the hill that the 4x4 had, her wheels span and she started to slip, she turned her wheel panicking and span out sideways narrowly missing parked cars. she came to a stop sideways about 2 meters from my car and believe it or not became emotional, the tears started and out came here mobile phone.

I'm not being funny but driving in snow could be easier. Ok sometimes conditions make it extremely difficult but idiots like this who try and beat the conditions make it far worse.

Gridlocked around mosborough this morning cars and lorries skidding allover the place on ice and guess what saw 6 women steering one handed while on the phone with the other amazing.

I left Mosboro this morning at 07:00, no problems at all, slushy snow, dead easy to drive in, no ice (1cm soft snow on windscreen), in fact it was 6c. Drove to East Yorkshire with no trouble at all?

:hihi: Thanks for the replies. I took some pictures on my phone in the end. I work in a hospital so they can't stop for snow. I have a great boss and a great job that I would struggle to replace. I just dont think she gets snow!

Judging by her attitude to your plight, I beg to differ.

Traveline High Call Volume

Due to high call volumes the Traveline phone service are dealing with delays in answering are to be expected. The information displayed on this page is correct and relevant to the time and date as shown above and may be subject to change between 07:00 and 22:00 hours.

Adverse weather update

All First services in Sheffield are currently suspended

If your service is not listed below it should be considered as running normally:

We have received information from several operators that several areas os Sheffield are gridlocked with traffic which is causing severe delays

Stagecoach:

57 not using Dykes Hall Road at Worrall Village or Church St at Oughtibridge. Travelling along Manchester Road

88 Not serving Bents Green just going to Ecclesall Road ( not using Ringinglow Rd)

83 and 83A not serving Firs Hill. Using Minna Road.

79 not serving Wilcox rd or Fox Hill Rd

87 are not serving Low Edges along Archer Rd finishing up on Abbeydale Rd

High Green not served at this particular moment. Bus stuck main roundabout @ Chapeltown. Engineer on way to the bus.

SL1 using Main Rds only

Powells :

services 760, 761 and 762 not serving dungworth and Bradfield Schools as the road after West Lane is impassable

Tates Travel :

23 bus is not serving Stocksbridge or Holmfirth due to snow and they are advising passengers to catch the buses on main roads only as many are not serving the estates.

First services:

11/12 terminating at Malin Bridge

14 not going onto Rodney Hill

13 via Penistone road awaiting feedback regarding Bracken Hill

20a not operating along Donavon Road. Southey Green Road turning left onto Wordsworth Ave picking up at Forty Foot pub.

76 operating Meadowhead via top road towards Low Edges

52 diverting along Infirmary Rd then onto St Phillips road. Nothing seems to be able to serve Crookes.

120 only travelling as far as Ranmoor - not serving Fulwood

Awaiting updates from drivers.

TMTravel:

31 in Sheffield is not serving Whitehouse Lane.

61s & 62s in Sheffield are currently stuck and are not running at the moment.

Everything else is running as normal.

SCT:

29 not serving Holbrook - using main road only in both directions but severe delays due to traffic

the following services have been suspended until 10.00 when they will be re-assessed:

P1 and P2

10 and 10A

S6

S6A

S74 running but with severe delays - very heavy traffic

Door to door service suspended - will be reassessed at 10.00

H1 running but with severe delays

Supertram:

All services running normally

If people were to walk and use public r=transport there would far less congestion,but people feel compelled to drive-its a form of dependency.It is an issue for the tradesman who needs equipment,but for others a brisk walk in the snow would boost their health and trim their figure.

Perhaps when a lot of people pay a small fortune for car insurance, car tax and petrol, they feel its their right to drive on the roads?

I have a friend in Sweden

She says the first two days of snow is chaos there - until everybody gets their tyres swapped over to snow ones

Our problem is that we don't get enough snow for long enough to deal with it the same way

and note that it is the drivers' responsibility to deal with the snow

With the sun shining and snow flakes drifting down onto virgin snow it all looks rather lovely.... unless you have go out in it.

Personally I'm stopping in until the Spring!

Just got back from town. Buses were stopping at Hunters Bar. Saw several buses stuck on Ringinglow Road. Knowle Lane was just passable.

Good job we not at war with Germany, thats all I can say.

I think Hitler was 70 years too early with his invasions, if he was alive now and planned to invade, I reckon he would have invaded England rather than Poland first

I think Hitler was 70 years too early with his invasions, if he was alive now and planned to invade, I reckon he would have invaded England rather than Poland first

If he invaded England now he'd still be fighting the Poles!

Yeah because the Germans did so well in Russia with the snow.